Have I got some mojo back? A new tiny O gauge project!

marc smith

Great to see that this is being worked on again!

Quick question, Marc, if you'd be so kind; what's the plan in terms of running trains? Is there a 'timetable' in terms of trains in and out? I fancy building a fork myself but am unsure of the operating potential.

Thanks,

Chris

Great to see that this is being worked on again!

Quick question, Marc, if you'd be so kind; what's the plan in terms of running trains? Is there a 'timetable' in terms of trains in and out? I fancy building a fork myself but am unsure of the operating potential.

Thanks,

Chris

No timetable as such Chris,

It's a small industrial, privately owned disposal point - and in a remote location at that.

I'm currently thinking of how I could put together a loading chute, to change the purpose of the layout actually

As I'm also thinking ahead and wondering about adapting it into a sort of modular scheme

But I haven't finished this bit yet - so I may progress it a bit further, and then adapt it slightly

A tuning fork layout can work very well. Whilst there isn't a huge variation in operating potential, it can be a nice introduction into building layouts. A way of honing and testing your modelling skills, or an entry level layout if you are moving into a different scale. For me, my last O gauge layout was a good test bed for wagons, and in particular, the installation of, and use of Sprat & Winkle couplings - having used them in 4mm scale, I wanted to thoroughly test them in 7mm

Tuning forks could also be incorporated into a larger scheme in the future, or perhaps a layout extension to a larger scheme which can't be set up in full in the home? If you're thinking about building one, I'd say give it a go. I've heard many people say they would never build a simple scheme like a tuning fork or inglenook - only to hear those same people say they've never completed a layout!

Also, I'd say that you could introduce a card system for shunting the layout; where cards representing different wagons are drawn - these cards then tell the operator what order the wagons need to be arranged into. Sounds like it doesn't offer much, but you'd be surprised at how much time this can occupy, and how "engaging" it can be! Plus, there is less outlay for such simple projects.

If you're still in doubt - look for a tuning fork project called "the shed" by RCF / Rob. RCF has produced a beautiful simple tuning fork layout where there is a wealth of beatufully modelled detail, and much to draw the eye. It's on here somewhere, it was built a few years back.

Cheers, and good luck with your next project :)

EDIT: Of course, it all depends on what use you're going to get from the layout too - I like small projects as something that can be set up on the kitchen table, when you have half an hour and you fancy a bit of shunting or messing about with trains....

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 6

Like others have said Marc, its good to see you back modelling and am watching with interest. Thanks for the plug for The Shed, which is still around and getting invites. If Chris is interested he can find it at http://www.rmweb....TheShed  Format might be wrong as the link doesn't seem to work!!

Regards Rob

Edited by rcf

Thanks for the kind words Rob / RCF.

I just looked at the link for "The Shed" - hope this works;

Chris 66522 - you really MUST take a look at this layout :)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69812-the-shed-alterations-to-an-0-gauge-micro-layout/

Ah yes, I know this one. A quite stunning layout - as is Osney. Got this thread well and truly bookmarked! :)

Hi Marc,

This looks most interesting. What is the radius and origin of the point you've used, please?

Hi there Captain K,

I'm not sure of the radius of the point actually. I think it might be around 4 feet! :O

It's a Lima O gauge point. Although it's a very tight radius, my 08 seems to run through it fine.

Although I'll probably only be running my little 0-4-0 Ixion and another small industrial loco through it...

Did a bit of groundwork / ballasting on it over the weekend. For O gauge, I tend to use Woodland scenics OO ballast, and for 4mm scale, I tend to use N gauge ballast, as I feel it looks more to scale, or less coarse. Here I used some OO ballast, with some N and some dusty earth mix (from Treemendous). I'm after an appearance of a line where there isn't a healthy amount of ballast in place - much of what is left may be covered in coal dust, debris and ash anyway... (sorry for the poor quality of pics from my mobile - I really shouldn't be so lazy, and I should get my proper camera out!)

EDIT: I've cut the Lima point about quite a bit - as the switch mechanism on the side was very crude. I've also chopped the plastic check-rails out and replaced them with steel rail offcuts. Amazingly, given that the crossing V is also plastic - even the little 0-4-0 seems to run OK without stalling....

post-2973-0-88689600-1484574409_thumb.jpg

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Not a huge amount of progress on this little project of late. I have done a bit of ground covering landscape, but I find in this damp, cold time of year - PVA glue can take a while to set / dry fully and evenly. This is not helped by my mischievous cat, Nellie. If I leave the layout somewhere in direct sunlight, she seems to find it, and wants to use it as a scratchpost! So leaving the board in my modelling room, where there are no windows, the glue dries in a patchy fashion, and is leaving tide-mark effects. 

So I decided to complete a few wagons, and install some Sprat & Winkle couplings. I had a couple of mineral wagons which I've used on & off, but which only had the 3 link chains, or where I'd only installed the bar part of the S&W. So I decided to install the hooks of the S&W's, and as I say, complete a couple of other wagons which were sitting around, waiting some detail work. I'll post some pics later

EDIT: A couple of the wagons I hadn't installed the S&W's on to. Many thanks to Gilbert for loaning me a fret of the S&W's btw. I won't forget matey - I'll get a set sent off to you shortly :)    These 2 minerals (together with a similar Peco kitbuilt 16T wagon) sat in the rare sunshine on my former "Clarbeston North" minimum space O gauge layout.....

post-2973-0-13042700-1486388327.jpg

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 10

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any progress, Marc?

Hi Chris,

Sorry - very little progress of late - I just never have any modelling time anymore these days :(

I need to flog off a load of other stuff - mainly layouts, OO and EM gauge things - to create a bit of space in my workshop / over-filled storage utility room lol

I have managed to finish some Sprat & Winkle couplings on O gauge stock - the minerals in the photo above, plus a few other wagons

And I've got some figure painting & bits & bobs of scenic stuff painted. The Mojo does come back, albeit fleetingly... when I have time to think about trains 

Cheers now

Hi Chris,

Sorry - very little progress of late - I just never have any modelling time anymore these days :(

I need to flog off a load of other stuff - mainly layouts, OO and EM gauge things - to create a bit of space in my workshop / over-filled storage utility room lol

I have managed to finish some Sprat & Winkle couplings on O gauge stock - the minerals in the photo above, plus a few other wagons

And I've got some figure painting & bits & bobs of scenic stuff painted. The Mojo does come back, albeit fleetingly... when I have time to think about trains 

Cheers now

That's a real shame - love the looks of this little layout and will be trying something very similar myself, in OO.

Look forward to seeing progress as and when the mojo - and time - allows.

Thanks,