Triang purchase

sagaguy

I normally model in N gauge these days but couldn`t resist a punt on this.I havn`t run it yet as i only got it today.As you can see,one of the pantographs needs a bit of TLC & a new spring,(does anyone know where to get a replacement?).As luck would have it however,in the bottom of my Hornby Dublo collection box was a new Triang pantograph which i bought in 1960 for an ill fated emu using H/D emu trailer cars & a Kitmaster motor bogie,this was in the days when H/D emu cars were plentiful.I knew this item would come in handy sometime but 55 years!,really :O

Ray.post-4249-0-34639400-1449690416_thumb.jpg

Since it`s a bit tatty,the idea of buying it is to repaint it into BR lined green,i can get the roof off but how do you part the body from the chassis to remove the glazing?.

Ray.

This should help

http://www.hornbyguide.com/service_sheet_details.asp?sheetid=131

The body and chassis usually clip together on Tri-ang Diesel and Electric locomotives. The power bogie is held in place by a spring clip - release this (taking care it doesn't fly across the room....), rather than undoing the pivot screw (more bits to get lost). All are available on eBay, but tend to be expensive.

Thanks Griff,by the way,i managed to repair the original damaged pantograph by making new link arms out of brass wire.I have ordered a Joueff kit for pantographs & i`m hoping the spring will be a replacement.Providing it does,i`ll still have the pantograph that i bought all those years ago.I`ll have to find a loco with a non repairable panto cos i havn`t got another 55 years!! :no:

Ray.

Ho Ho Ho,I`m still working on the Electra.Just getting the body ready for a coat of Brunswick green.I got the body off the chassis,i didn`t realise at first that i had to pull the buffers out,still,no damage done.

Just going to phone Olivias trains to see if they have got a gloss black EM1 in stock.

Bloody expensive this collecting buisiness lark!!!.

Ray. 

OK,just ordered a Heljan gloss EM1 from Olivias trains,be here tomorrow.I asked if there was any possibility of an N gauge version,not in a million years was the answer,Oh well!.Not to worry :no: .

Ray.

Like an idiot,i forgot to take a pic of the wiring layout under the roof,putting it back together,i can`t seem to get it right.Can somebody help out with a picor drawing.It should be simple to reassemble but !!!.

Ray.

I've never seen one, but she has to be wired with one pick-up going direct to the brush spring (presumably through the power bogie chassis) and the other goes to the insulated brush via the roof switch, so that the switch selects either rail or pantographs. (I assume they are connected together and both live.)

Sorry, I forgot the buffers pull out! It's the later ring-field models that clip together. The Tri-ang metal buffers are far superior to the later plastic ones and a worthwhile replacement.

Thanks Griff,i managed to work it out,the exploded diagram shows the lh.curved contact upside down.Again

like an idiot,i couldn`t find my airbrush so i decided to brush paint the body using railmatch BR Green,big mistake.Now,iv`e found my air brush,what`s the best way to strip the paint?.

Ray.

Mr Muscle oven cleaner should strip the paint.

Place loco body in a plastic bag, Spray the loco body with Mr Muscle, seal the bag and leave for around 45 min's.

After 45 min's, remove the body and wash in luke warm water and leave to dry.

If the paint hasn't totally been removed, repeat the above steps.

HTH's

K9-70

Thanks,i found a pot of Modelstrip that had been at the back of my bench in the garage for some years.It was a bit hard but a drop of water & a good stir revived it.It seems to be working,it`s taken the Railmatch green off & has left the Halfords grey acrylic under coat untouched!.

Ray.

Caustic soda doesn't seem to touch acrylic paint in my experience. The manufacturer's paint on an Airfix B-set put up a strong resistance, but was beaten in the end by brake fluid Usually either soda or brake fluid will do the trick. That said, I've just acquired some wagons that have been treated to an overgenerous coat of gross black and grey paint. The black has put up a strong resistance, but has softened enough to be removed sufficiently to repaint. The grey on the other hand is resisting both. It looks like something abrasive is needed.... ) Luckily they're 16T mineral wagons and only one had the grey paint.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the Electra,i resprayed it using Humbrol Brunswick green,the paint job was ok but but trying to line it was a total disaster,someone on here said it was a pig to line & they wern`t far wrong so to cut a long story short,i bid for a really good condition Electra with intact lining but someone had cut through the pantographs with a pair of sidecutters & sent it back to the seller so i got it for a reasonable price & i replaced them with two good pantographs.

I still have one pantograph & really need another but they are hard to get hold of.I have two Jouef diamond pantographs but are a different mounting so i will probably strip the green paint & respray it black as "Pandora" in 1954.

Ray.

• 3 weeks later...

Well into the restoration of the Blue Electra into 27006 Aurora (pics to follow),i i made an offer of £90 to Rails of Sheffield for a Trix EM1 which was accepted which is the next restoration project.For all you Trix collectors out there,i found this ops manual from my original EM1 bought in 1959.

post-4249-0-14625200-1454259936_thumb.jpgpost-4249-0-60268100-1454259961_thumb.jpg

Ray.

There appears to not be the figure 4C referred to though it is obvious that the two centre rail shoes have to be swopped over so that they pick up from the other running rail.

All my instruction manuals have long since disappeared along with the boxes.....  :(

I normally model in N gauge these days but couldn`t resist a punt on this.I havn`t run it yet as i only got it today.As you can see,one of the pantographs needs a bit of TLC & a new spring,(does anyone know where to get a replacement?).As luck would have it however,in the bottom of my Hornby Dublo collection box was a new Triang pantograph which i bought in 1960 for an ill fated emu using H/D emu trailer cars & a Kitmaster motor bogie,this was in the days when H/D emu cars were plentiful.I knew this item would come in handy sometime but 55 years!,really :O

Ray.attachicon.gifelectra.jpg

At last,this is the restoration or rebuild,not quite certain which,of the blue Electra which has morphed into 27006 Aurora.The lining was a real pig of a job,i used Fox orange lining & corners applied in short sections & gloss varnished as i went.The Aurora nameplates i got from a Dutch collector,they were just a bit too large so i scanned them & reduced the size in photoshop,printed them on Matte photo paper & affixed them with narrow double sided tape.

I hope you like the result,i now have two Triang EM2`s & have just purchased a Trix EM1 which is in some need of some TLC.

Cheers,Ray.post-4249-0-26301600-1454676953_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That's an absolutely superb job, I wish mine looked that good.

I don't want to be pendantic, but No.27006 was Pandora, with Aurora being 27002...Sorry.

Ummmm!,Whoops!!!,I think it may be politic to make Pandora nameplates in photoshop. :O

Ray.

Ummmm!,Whoops!!!,I think it may be politic to make Pandora nameplates in photoshop. :O

Ray.

Ok,Aurora renamed as Pandora.I`ve taken the liberty of posting more pics of the EM2 along with two Trix EM1s,the middle  EM1 has been restored with some spares through the good offices of the TTRCA.The right hand one is awaiting restoration,i bought it complete with the Trix overhead catenary & masts.i now waiting for delivery of a Trix Twin Transpennine DMU,the version with the Trix pickups.

Happy days!

Ray.post-4249-0-99179000-1455650396_thumb.jpgpost-4249-0-54586600-1455650430_thumb.jpgpost-4249-0-98985200-1455650453_thumb.jpg

Archived