Taigatrommel's chop shop: SW division 1980s

• 2 weeks later...

I received my etches for the Mk2Cs today.  Overall, I think for my first attempt at etch design, they've turned out well.

2016-01-14%2010.44.23.jpg?raw=1

That's not to say I've done a perfect job.  The left hand framing of the opening panes have come out very think.  I'd put them on the drawing as 0.25mm wide, and I think they've come out as somewhat less.  If I double their width, it would make them nominally the same thickness of the right hand framing, which is effectively a double frame.  Also, the overall length of the sides is about 1mm short.  However, the toilet window vents have come out entirely satisfactorily, and they were the parts that I was worried were pushing the limitations a little. 

2016-01-14%2011.04.10.jpg?raw=1

If I was just making two coaches for myself, I'd live with this and use 0.3mm microstrip to bulk out the narrow framing, and accept the shortness, perhaps with a bit of filler.  A one off sheet costs about £50 by the time set up and postage is considered.  However, if people are genuinely interested in having some of these etches, I think I should modify them.  I'll have to put a post out into a wider audience to gauge whether there is sufficient interest.

Edited by Taigatrommel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They look pretty good, to be honest I have no need as I have too many old Limas to detail and not enough Airfix to donor.

I will be very interested to see the end result.

Luckily both sides of the vent are different so the narrowness is not really an issue. Perhaps something behind to imitate the sliding vent?

As to other people, many are happy with the wrong vehicles (eg Bachmann Mk2 2a) or will wait (years) for a detailed model (if ever). The rest of us I do not know, I would start a new thread about this to catch more peoples attention and see who would want a set.

But anyway nice etch and good luck!

They look pretty good, to be honest I have no need as I have too many old Limas to detail and not enough Airfix to donor.

Luckily both sides of the vent are different so the narrowness is not really an issue. Perhaps something behind to imitate the sliding vent?

It's still beyond me why the Airfix model remains popular as a basis for mk2 modelling, it's about the furthest model away from the correct body profile that's every been produced!

The vent sides are just too thin, they're like a hair on the left side.  I've increased their width from 0.25mm to 0.4mm on the artwork.  I've also drawn up two other vehicle types, the 5562-5615 TSOs (also suitable for TSOTs) and the 13534-13561 FKs/FOs.

After a test fitting, I'm happy to say that I got the bodyside depth spot on.  The length is actually only 0.5mm out of what I meant it to be.  This has duly been revised in my artwork.  The sides are intended to sit between the strengthening strips by the doors, not between the doors themselves.  As Hornby have moulded this feature, I'll use it!  I'm not very experienced in the use of brass sides, but I managed to roll them somewhere close to correct.  A quick airbrush huff gives an impression of the potential.  I've also shifted the door handle up 0.5mm in the revisions.

post-6973-0-13071200-1452879825_thumb.jpg

I might go ahead and gamble on getting a few revised sheets done, I've got requests for about half a dozen vehicles from friends, so fingers crossed that I can sell a few more.

Edited by Taigatrommel
  • Like 4

Hi Rich,

Most impressive work so far.

May I ask who you have used to carry out your etching work please ( pm me if you don't wish to make it public).

I'm considering producing a few bits for my proposed early Bavarian-Esk layout and as I can't find a suitable supplier in Germany I'd like to try my own.

Keep up the nice work,

Grahame

I used PPD Ltd on the recommendation of Steve Nicholls (Pixie).  PH Designs use them too.  Very quick turnaround, I'm impressed.

Thank you, I was looking at their web site yesterday and they seem to be the firm to use. I'll start my artwork and ask for a quote I think. :)

• RMweb Premium

Ahh Hornby 2es, I forgot

Anyway that trial looks good, you just need the later toilet version now.

The 2Cs were longer than 2B but I am sure you could get away as a 2B after roof panel removal and the older roof vents.

The big thing about Airfix air cons is that they are not THAT much work to make them look better, and they are cheap.

Having drawn up both TSO types and the first class with small toilet windows, I'm not sure if producing the FK with large loo windows is worth it- there were just five of them against 44 FK/FOs with the small toilet windows. Here's the outline of the end of the first, as it's clearer to look at than the coloured version for etching.  Note that I have adjusted the above window vent to have a better look since this.  The number of slats is actually dictated by the thickness of the brass and how it behaves when being etched.

post-6973-0-61963500-1452897278_thumb.png

Edited by Taigatrommel
  • Like 3

Your test coach looks excellent. Well done.

Would there be any chance of popping your test coach on its chassis and putting it alongside a Bachmann coach please? I wanted to make a Mk2B or C that is passable in a Bachmann Mk2A rake, so was wondering how they look next to one another.

Thanks, and keep up the good work. Really enjoying this thread. The fact that your ingenuity and resourcefulness can be of use to other modellers is just a bonus.

Also, just a suggestion but would there be a way of adding gangway end handrails and door bump stops onto the etch? Maybe roof hatches for the Mk2C as well?

Edited by sub39h

Would there be any chance of popping your test coach on its chassis and putting it alongside a Bachmann coach please? I wanted to make a Mk2B or C that is passable in a Bachmann Mk2A rake, so was wondering how they look next to one another.

A very worthwhile exercise, and I'm happy to comply... and it's solved something that was bugging me!

post-6973-0-82134500-1453119437_thumb.jpg

Yep, all the windows need shifting up.  Only by 0.5mm.  Well, that's done.  It doesn't take long!

As for what was bugging me, on the drawing with the small toilet window, the proportions didn't look quite right.  Moving up the windows by 0.5mm and leaving the vents as they means the loo windows shrink, and suddenly they look right.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That is pretty effective

Oh and watch out for door window sizes, two were in use on the later doors.

Will be interesting to see a completed one next to a Bachmann 2A

What were they like for bending?

Back to EMUs while I wait for the v2 etches to come...

I've made a mould of the TC/REP inner end electrical boxes, and cast a few.  As such, I'm now ready to paint the REP!

post-6973-0-83597300-1453381249_thumb.jpg

I'm working on Mk2 underframe components too.  I've started building masters, but this could be the perfect motivation to try some 3d CAD design.  It'll be less fiddly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That REP is coming along well

Have fun with the mark 2 components, have you noticed that every make of model is different, even for the same design?

The rounded cabinets are all different, could do with one decent version of them.

May be worth asking one of the preservation groups to take some piccies for you, I'd like accurate standard components.

If you can make a few of the underframe components to a better and more accurate standard than the earlier RTR you will have customers.

I'm trying to work out where is best to go and have a look at some mk2s, by my reckoning the Mid Norfolk is the place.  It's a long way from Cheltenham though.  Suggestions of any more locally would be welcome, alternatively any in the Thames Valley or near the Lake District, those are my main haunts.

• RMweb Premium

If only, I remember when BR was full of them, else it would be down to Shrub Hill for me

Mid Norfolk does seem like the best bet.

None on the GWR all Mark 1s these days (I used to help on the autocoach many years ago)

Dean Forest no idea but they did used to have some XP64 stock

Further afield

Appleby

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=4299

Battlefield line

Set at Carnforth

Few at East Lancs

Didcot

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=4484

Tyseley - quite a few

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=4498

Hid Hants

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=1581

Loads at Mid Norfolk and RAF Dalton (but dalton ones getting scrapped)

Riviera trains rake

So for you I would suggest emailing Didcot and Steamtown Carnforth

Well, one at Didcot... I'm going there this weekend anyway.  I'd better pack a tape measure.

In the meantime, I've been drawing up a couple of bits based on the Bachmann model.... after all, it's what I'm trying to match.  Once drawn in 2D I'll extrude it into a 3D model, I've created a layer for each depth.

post-6973-0-72010700-1453399951_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm trying to work out where is best to go and have a look at some mk2s, by my reckoning the Mid Norfolk is the place.  It's a long way from Cheltenham though.  Suggestions of any more locally would be welcome, alternatively any in the Thames Valley or near the Lake District, those are my main haunts.

What about a detour on your way to the Lakes and visit this place?

https://derelictex.wordpress.com/2007/03/25/railway-coach-graveyard-mk2/

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/train-graveyard-north-yorkshire-report.t61136

Edited by sub39h

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich. Are/would you consider making some of the TC inner no electrical boxes and selling them on. I soon want to make a start on a 4TC and I have been wondering how sort out the inner ends.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve, I'm sat next to Rich, he says Yes, 6 boxes for a fiver inc postage, PM him

Andi