Taigatrommel's chop shop: SW division 1980s

If I could find a contact for permission, that'd be a great plan. I'm not likely to be up that way until Easter, but it looks worth a visit anyway.

Worth looking at the Barrowmore MRG's BR coach plans too. Dunno if they'll have the accuracy you'll need tho.

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/Prototype.html

If I could find a contact for permission, that'd be a great plan. I'm not likely to be up that way until Easter, but it looks worth a visit anyway.

Worth looking at the Barrowmore MRG's BR coach plans too. Dunno if they'll have the accuracy you'll need tho.

• RMweb Premium

No better than the ones in thw Michael Harris book

And that book does not have enough underframe detail

• RMweb Premium

Well, one at Didcot... I'm going there this weekend anyway.  I'd better pack a tape measure.

In the meantime, I've been drawing up a couple of bits based on the Bachmann model.... after all, it's what I'm trying to match.  Once drawn in 2D I'll extrude it into a 3D model, I've created a layer for each depth.

attachicon.gifMk2 UF 2.jpg

To be honest if I had one accurate one I would happily chop them off my Bachmann and Hornby 2 / 2a, Lima 2b/c, Airfix 2DEF and Lima 2F, got over 30 Mark 2s of various types.

As to Bachmann & new Hornby, usually good details but sometimes the Chinese toolmakers get the subtleties wrong.Bachmann Rat windscreens, Hornby 31 profile.

Someone taking pictures and looking at real boxes will do a more accurate one than someone who has never seen one.

Just that I would have to saw those boxes off around 16 non aircon vehicles.

Just that I would have to saw those boxes off around 16 non aircon vehicles.

There's the crux of the matter - that then leaves a lot of expensive models that are missing a part!  I might make a moulding off an RTR prototype for my own use, but seeing as I'm being asked for these etches I figure I might as well try and make something myself for the people who want the etches.

As a bonus, I've just found out the Didcot Railway Centre is free entry this month. That's tomorrow's plans sorted!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There's the crux of the matter - that then leaves a lot of expensive models that are missing a part!  I might make a moulding off an RTR prototype for my own use, but seeing as I'm being asked for these etches I figure I might as well try and make something myself for the people who want the etches.

As a bonus, I've just found out the Didcot Railway Centre is free entry this month. That's tomorrow's plans sorted!

Sounds like a good plan.

Have a good day there.

Didcot was a great success.  The mk2Bs are parked so that the details I needed pictures of were on the side away from the platform, and I was able to get some good photographs.  I've put them in a flickr album, as they may well be useful to people other than me.  Another excellent revelation is that what I presume is a heat exchanger of some sort (it's a Stones device) is present on Mk2Bs- I wasn't sure if these were exclusively a Mk2C detail or not.  Anyway, here's the album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richbucknall/albums/72157661550530974

• RMweb Premium

Didcot was a great success.  The mk2Bs are parked so that the details I needed pictures of were on the side away from the platform, and I was able to get some good photographs.  I've put them in a flickr album, as they may well be useful to people other than me.  Another excellent revelation is that what I presume is a heat exchanger of some sort (it's a Stones device) is present on Mk2Bs- I wasn't sure if these were exclusively a Mk2C detail or not.  Anyway, here's the album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richbucknall/albums/72157661550530974

Looking at those, I don't think any of the RTR companies have really caught the look.

• RMweb Premium

Had a look at your pictures

Lima doesn't match, left hand one is a motor alternator, next one is a poor version of what is there, then the corrugated one.

The PV box is poor.

Also where is the corrugated box on the real one?

Looks like a lot are needed.

If you make them I'll buy any I need

• RMweb Premium

The ruler is just over 200mm.  The squares are 10mm, the strips 100mm.

Aghhhh 3.937in, was hoping the small ones were half inch.

Had a close measure, the ruler on the white works out as near as anything to 8 inches

Ther PV box on my monitor is 280mm high, and the 8in section is 70mm so the box is 4 x 8inch high, 32 inches, 2 foot 8 inch, just under 11mm in OO.

I've deepened the door windows to something approaching the right size, and added bump strips from 0.5mm square rod.  These things are best done before adding the etched sides, otherwise you risk damaging the window frames, just like I've done...

post-6973-0-91980100-1453991013_thumb.jpg

post-6973-0-11249700-1453991016_thumb.jpg

Edited by Taigatrommel
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've deepened the door windows to something approaching the right size, and added bump strips from 0.5mm square rod.  These things are best done before adding the etched sides, otherwise you risk damaging the window frames, just like I've done...

attachicon.gifMk2CTSO3quarter.jpg

attachicon.gifMk2CTSO3quarter2.jpg

That looks like an early 2C now

• 1 month later...

Great work on the HAP and TC. The Mk2 etches look good too, not of use/interest to me, but the methods are as I intend to attempt to make my own etches for some SR/BR(S) EMUs when I get chance to try drawing the artwork.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic work on your REP/TC. I went through a similar process using the MJT 4TC kit to build my 4REP and had similar challenges getting the TRB & TFKB built. Great to see someone else building one of these phenomenal units and to such a great standard too.

This is mine on a colleagues layout having a test run with lighting installed in the 4REP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIe9kxw6SSk

Fantastic job Taigatrommel

• Like 1

That's a great bit of filming, both REP and 442 look the business.  At present I'm on a German modelling stint ready for an exhibition in just over a fortnight, but I have some bits to continue my 4-CAP.  As the weather gets better, my mood for painting gets stronger.

• Like 1

That's a great bit of filming, both REP and 442 look the business.  At present I'm on a German modelling stint ready for an exhibition in just over a fortnight, but I have some bits to continue my 4-CAP.  As the weather gets better, my mood for painting gets stronger.

Thanks - i can't take any credit for the layout or filming as my best mate is the one who has pulled that together. He has a polaroid cube camera connected to his iPhone and runs a Twitter page @NSE_Latchmere where he showcases all things Southern Slamdoor-esque and South West Mainline.

I'm currently working on the General Manager's Saloon 975025 in NSE and am preparing for my next biggie, the relatively short lived 6REP but i'm loving your work. Keep us updated please :)

post-20061-0-68723500-1462360461_thumb.jpg

post-20061-0-75155200-1462360611.jpg

post-20061-0-96183200-1462360634_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks - i can't take any credit for the layout or filming as my best mate is the one who has pulled that together. He has a polaroid cube camera connected to his iPhone and runs a Twitter page @NSE_Latchmere where he showcases all things Southern Slamdoor-esque and South West Mainline.

I love that twitter feed! Any chance you can badger him to post a bit on here?! I see he's got a Hornby VEP to CIG project underway and it'd be great to see more.

Top work on the 4CAP, looking forward to seeing your progress.

• 1 month later...

B5(S) bogies converted from Bachmann B4s...

I decided that the easiest way of getting the 4-TC (Bachmann basis) to sit on B5(S) bogies was simply to convert Bachmann B4s, rather than try and mount Hornby bogies on Bachmann chassis or use cast sides on etched inners.  Although I haven't achieved a 100% accurate rendition, the main spotting features of the B5(S) are easy enough to reproduce.  I hope the photo below shows the added parts clearly- brass strip for the angled bracket, rod and tube for the hydraulic dampener and a slither of plasticard for the link between the bolster and the damper.

post-6973-0-85708000-1466522481_thumb.jpg

Once painted, it looks OK next to a Hornby B5(S) from a 4-VEP.  There are a couple of bits missing or different, but I think it captures the essence of the EMU bogies.

post-6973-0-34811900-1466522543_thumb.jpg

• Like 4