Elizabeth Line / Crossrail Updates.

There have been various threads covering Crossrail over the last few years, but I've failed to unearth an overall discussion or news topic.

So I've started one.

Crossrail have released dozens of videos showing progress on the project.

Some are not much more than a couple of minutes of PR fluff, but most do contain some useful and informative insights into the work being carried out and some of the innovative solutions being employed to deal with the challenges faced.

Almost all of them are available in 1080p and 720p HD, which is worth selecting if your PC/MAC/tablet etc, can display the HD formats.

Here's a new one, released today......

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Remember Stage I of Crossrail West Surface works will begin on 24th December and last until 3rd January.

I can't give detailed accounts of what's going on as I don't have access to the scheme plans at the moment, but I can tell what I remember from my last look,

Between Hayes and Harlington and Slough, there is no change to infrastructure, purely a data change to the interlocking.

Hayes and Harlington will see the commissioning of a new Bay Platform (on a Temporary alignment) and several new signals, Southall will see some new signals. I believe West Ealing will see a new bay platform commissioned (although don't hold me to it!). Acton will see the new fly under finished, although the points will be clipped out of use and routes barred pending commissioning in Easter. Old Oak will see the carriage sidings near Paddington removed, a couple of new crossovers and a few new signals. Paddington sees a lengthened Platform 14 is at least installed, and I think commissioned, while there are quite a few alternations in signalling around Ladbroke Grove.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

HRH went "down under" today for a visit and to officially unveil the new name for the Crossrail line.

She even dressed in the correct colours.

Crossrail now the Lizzy Line !

liz.jpg?w=748&h=482&crop=1

Hubby got away with just an orange jacket when he visited a few months ago. I see no one had the bottle to tell HM that she had to dress all in orange.

Jamie

• Like 1

Hubby got away with just an orange jacket when he visited a few months ago. I see no one had the bottle to tell HM that she had to dress all in orange.

Jamie

Lots of people with no orange or hard hats. For a photo op like this it's all about the "orange army" business.

Good job NR doesn't work in Northern Ireland...

• Like 1

I can see how they got to this name but wasn't the Jubilee line named in her honour too? Orignally I think that was known as the Fleet Line.

Given building started in earnest in 2012, diamond or Olympic might have been good names though Crossrail is a pretty established brand already

Edited by Clearwater

Should we now formally rename this thread. Queue patriotic flag waving. Rah,rah,up the ruling classes. God bless you ma'am etc

I've just done it...

"I re- name this thread Elizabeth Line / Crossrail  Updates. May Gord bless her and all who sail in her...."

• RMweb Gold

I know that I am not the most ardent monarchist but........really? Does this work? How much did TfL pay some marketing guru for this idea?

"Take the next train to Farringdon and change onto an Elizabeth going to Shenfield".

Londoners will probably call it the Liz or the Betty.

Personally I think it sounds clumsy.  The "Victoria" line was so called because it served a station which, admittedly, was named after Brenda's Hannovarian ancestor, but there must be a reason why we've never had an Edward Line or a George Line.  Whilst Crossrail wasn't really a good name, unlike Thameslink, and would have been a gift to headline writers when irate users started complaining about the service, the "Elizabeth Line" is just lumpen.  If they wanted to honour Her Gricerness Brenda why didn't they come up with something shorter like the "Queens Line", without an apostrophe it could have covered all holders of the title and would be a lot punchier and more likely to be adopted by the public.  i suspect the name won't catch on because it is so awkward.  It'll either be called the "Lizzy" or something else in popular culture.

I know that I am not the most ardent monarchist but........really? Does this work? How much did TfL pay some marketing guru for this idea?

"Take the next train to Farringdon and change onto an Elizabeth going to Shenfield".

Londoners will probably call it the Liz or the Betty.

How does "Betty's Burrow" sound as a starter for ten?

• Like 1