Building kits for Tyneside in the BR era.

rowanj

2 hours ago, rowanj said:

Hi Mick..Hope you are well.

Yes, there is something there, but are they lights? They look like torpedo vents to me. 

All ok ta

Ignore the items at the back of the Coach they are other stock. The front ones are Lights to the left above the doors and then a vent to its right.

2 hours ago, rowanj said:

This is a sharp as I could get a cropped version without losing all the detail. What is the consensus? 

The photo was captioned June 1938, train to Pickering near Stillington.

PS-to Mike Trice - loved the3D V2 - many thanks.

EPSON005 (2).JPG

No Gas Lamps, Vents only.

For info, here is a Clerestory, in an undated photo unfortunately, with what looks very much like conduit along the Clerestory roof. I don't know what the Dia is- I count 8 compartments, 

Is it a reasonable assumption that those coaches built "electrical" had the wiring internally , while those converted from gas had the conduit? Probably not.

EPSON007.JPG

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well, chaps, thanks for all those useful replies and photos. 

What I'm getting, then, is: 

1. Full length footboards for 1936. 

2. Full roof detail with some conduits or other.  Tatlow the Younger here has some conduits on the roof, but their route isn't clear from the photo: https://highlandmiscellany.com/tag/auto-coach/

3. LSWR grab handles from Roxey. Problem is, I've been waiting for an order from them for two weeks. However, it is a Markits order, so it may well be that Dave at Roxey is being messed around. Delivery from them is usually much faster, isn't it? 

Thanks again to all who replied. 

P.S. John: were the J72 coal rails really two years ago?!  

29 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Well, chaps, thanks for all those useful replies and photos. 

What I'm getting, then, is: 

1. Full length footboards for 1936. 

2. Full roof detail with some conduits or other.  Tatlow the Younger here has some conduits on the roof, but their route isn't clear from the photo: https://highlandmiscellany.com/tag/auto-coach/

3. LSWR grab handles from Roxey. Problem is, I've been waiting for an order from them for two weeks. However, it is a Markits order, so it may well be that Dave at Roxey is being messed around. Delivery from them is usually much faster, isn't it? 

Thanks again to all who replied. 

P.S. John: were the J72 coal rails really two years ago?!  

The conduit in the Tatlow photos are the Gas pipes connected to the Lamps, the pipes go down each end of the Coach (to the left of the Porthole in the photos) and underneath to the Gas Tanks.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, micklner said:

The conduit in the Tatlow photos are the Gas pipes connected to the Lamps, the pipes go down each end of the Coach (to the left of the Porthole in the photos) and underneath to the Gas Tanks.

Thanks, Mick. Are there gas lines from the main conduit to the lamp tops? 

7 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Thanks, Mick. Are there gas lines from the main conduit to the lamp tops? 

Yes one to each lamp, you can see them in the Tatlow photos . I did them on the Autocach I showed earlier, a bit of  pain to do and hardly visible once painted . I doubt  if I will do my current ones.

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, micklner said:

Yes one to each lamp, you can see them in the Tatlow photos . I did them on the Autocach I showed earlier, a bit of  pain to do and hardly visible once painted . I doubt  if I will do my current ones.

I see them now, Mick, thanks. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another question, if I may: which end does the lighting switch gear go on a non-brake vehicle (the alarm-gear end or the plain one?), and at what height? Do you have photos of your model, Mick? 

2 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Another question, if I may: which end does the lighting switch gear go on a non-brake vehicle (the alarm-gear end or the plain one?), and at what height? Do you have photos of your model, Mick? 

According to the instructions in my kit, the gas/electric switch gear goes at the opposite end to the alarm gear - i.e the plain one. I'll scan the illustrations and add them to this post when I get a moment,, I'm summoned for gardening duty.

Couple of pictures which may help. Be wary of the Vents and lamps if you are not aware the vent always goes to the right of the Door. One guess who has done it the wrong way round in the past !!

fullsizeoutput_3313.jpeg.e558c880bba301d9c714c4af38063cb7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3314.jpeg.f35ec8fff7769a34bb5cb36315d0f4e3.jpeg

The switch gear is 11m from the base of the Coach body. Inline with the top of the small side handrails .

Edited by micklner
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to interupt chaps but a brief "Sun Castle" update. I am very happy with the result so far. Cab (temp fit) and deflectors will be fitted after lining. I think she looks pretty good.

77512891_003(2).JPG.60bf3b5b748ad3b5f2753e076f883f74.JPG

155221693_001(2).JPG.dd0040bdcd9f53433a85cefe8bdd463b.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info on the changeover switch, chaps. 

I think I knew about the vents, Mick, thanks, but I still get it wrong!

Richard - every model you do seems to be better than the last. Well done!    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello again, 

My kit of the Dia 127 has no brake shoes. I assumed this was a result of it being an incomplete ebay rescue. However, I've noticed none of my D&S kits have them. What was one supposed to do back in the day? Does anyone know of suitable etched brake gear? I see MJT have them as "coming soon". 

Do the Isinglass printed bogies have brake shoes? It doesn't look like they do from the photos. The Miscellany Models bogies have shoes but can they be got hold of while Rumney are shut down? 

Many thanks! 

Edited by Daddyman

• RMweb Gold

I believe only the latest (3rd?) iteration of Danny's bogies have brakes. To be honest I'm just choosing to ignore their absence. With the frames covering most of the area they are less obvious than locos.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Rich. Seems mine are all first and second iteration then.

They do actually look too deep in section, too, so maybe better replaced with Miscellany ones if they can be got (MJT cast ones and Miscellany agree on the depth). 

The Isinglass Fox bogies are those which I used on my Worsley Works NER Clerestory, Excellent though they are, they don't have brakes, nor did the bogies on my D&S NER coaches.

The coal rails Daddyman sent me are here on the J71, - a Mainline conversion on Wizard/Mainly Trains/Iain Rice chassis, An easy and fun build, but not one for the purists.

IMG_20200802_201312.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 4

Some might be interested in the Mike Trice 3D -printed V2 body. He has a dedicated thread for the project. My boiler join could have been neater, but in real life is nothing like as bad as the photos would suggest. Until Bachmann's update comes along, which seems still some way off, at a fairly stiff price for what promises to nevertheless be an outstanding model, this seems the best way to a V2.

IMG_20200803_082335.jpg

IMG_20200803_082351.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Daddyman said:

They do actually look too deep in section, too, so maybe better replaced with Miscellany ones if they can be got (MJT cast ones and Miscellany agree on the depth). 

The only kits I've seen them on are GER ones. I think I have some of each iteration but I've only built type 2. I must admit as soon as I saw type 1 I started looking for different ones - they are rather complex! Type 3 (I'm assuming there are only 3 types) look to be the simplest to assemble.

6 hours ago, Bucoops said:

The only kits I've seen them on are GER ones. I think I have some of each iteration but I've only built type 2. I must admit as soon as I saw type 1 I started looking for different ones - they are rather complex! Type 3 (I'm assuming there are only 3 types) look to be the simplest to assemble.

Afternoon Rich,

some of the D&S GN kits had fox bogies fitted with brakes. The real things did have different depths to the side frames, depending on the weight carried, though this is more dependant on the age of the stock I think.

• RMweb Premium

Hi chaps,

Sorry to jump in but "Sun Castle" almost finished, just requires front steps for smoke deflectors and by the buffer beam. I also need to do final weathering but will leave this until the tender is built.

I have enjoyed building this loco a great deal. Firstly it is a well thought out kit that goes together fairly easily, secondly the operation of the High Level motor and gearbox has been most impressive. I am a dedicated SR modeller since like many people I wish to recall the railway that I remember as a youngster and we always lived close to the LSWR main line.

However, I have always admired the LNER and its pacifics. The grace, pace and sheer variety of form of these magnificant machines is a real magnet to the modeller. I shall have to build some more and 60113 will be next. In the future I would like to have a go at a Raven pacific too.

91997681_002(2).JPG.b8db75fc21b0194b5fb0a4cd699268b5.JPG

This shot needed the flash.

1004372741_003(2).JPG.8de6d724fd9e6a5143d3ab93995ee191.JPG

Since I have modelled 60523 in its late form I have added a Smith's speedo drive and AWS Receiver although you cant see the latter in these shots.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 30/07/2020 at 19:55, micklner said:

Hi all,

Yes, these pipes are intended to be gas pipes.  I do not have direct evidence of these pipe routes on NER coaches (although I do recall seeing some on the ends going onto the roof) but it is quite a common feature on coaches of the era.

For example in one of my favourite pictures from HC Casserley and now owned by Ernie Brack.  

1927-06-20 Achnashellach 14283 16.10 Dingwall-Kyle mixed. HC Casserley

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/08/2020 at 19:21, Daddyman said:

The bogies are available from me directly, as well as Justin's stand.  I am taking the view that things should be post free at the moment too.

https://miscellanymodels.com

Actually I am away for a week (firmly in NER territory, if that makes it more acceptable! ) but they are in stock and I can send them as of next Monday.

Edited by Portchullin Tatty
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

The bogies are available from me directly, as well as Justin's stand.  I am taking the view that things should be post free at the moment too.

https://miscellanymodels.com

Actually I am away for a week (firmly in NER territory, if that makes it more acceptable! ) but they are in stock and I can send them as of next Monday.

Thanks, Mark. Will put an order in. 

David. 

On 03/08/2020 at 14:56, Headstock said:

Afternoon Rich,

some of the D&S GN kits had fox bogies fitted with brakes. The real things did have different depths to the side frames, depending on the weight carried, though this is more dependant on the age of the stock I think.

Fox bogies were widely used in the pre-grouping companies in the later 19th/early 20th century era.  I have seen them in use on LSWR, LBSC, GE, GN, NER, HR, Caledonian, NB, ECJS and I suspect that the list is quite a lot longer.

I haven't seen an increased depth on 4 wheeled bogies, but you may well be right if there was a perception that the loads were greater.  The Caledonian 6 wheeled bogies do, for example, have deeper channels between the axleboxes, but the same depth as the 4 wheeled bogies for the sections at either end.

All the 4 wheeled bogies that I have seen have clasp brakes on all wheels and the Caley 6 wheeled bogie (which I have drawn up as a future product if anyone is interested) has them on all wheels too.  Not saying there isn't room for some that didn't though!!