Building BR ex-LNER from kits.

Posted (edited)

Got a really helpful e.mail from Railtec about NCB transfers. I need to check the photo of 46 to see if anything else would be useful.

Hi John, hopefully I should be able to come up with something. Looking

at what you need more holistically, is it literally just the numbers

you need and absolutely nothing else, or other bits besides?

Any suggestions?

This is the NCB sheet as things stand

image.png.95af961fd6540f291bf4be5e02ce5859.png

Edited by rowanj
1 hour ago, rowanj said:

Got a really helpful e.mail from Railtec about NCB transfers.

Yeah, so did I nearly 4 years ago...

Strictly, a transfer pack for this loco needs: 

• Numbers (missing digits) 
  • A "C" (in NCB) in a different font: Railtec's has a curved back, whereas the Derwenthaugh locos seem to have a "C" with a straight back, but this might be being too finicky...  
  • "No. 6 area" in yellow shaded red.

I have the existing pack somewhere; not sure if the transfers even fit the tank side, size-wise. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Yeah, so did I nearly 4 years ago...

Strictly, a transfer pack for this loco needs: 

• Numbers (missing digits) 
  • A "C" (in NCB) in a different font: Railtec's has a curved back, whereas the Derwenthaugh locos seem to have a "C" with a straight back, but this might be being too finicky...  
  • "No. 6 area" in yellow shaded red.

I have the existing pack somewhere; not sure if the transfers even fit the tank side, size-wise. 

We will have to see what happens, David. how did you eventually finish your version?

The chassis has gone into the paintshop, The brake arrangements look suitably "busy" though I doubt they would actually stop the loco. Mike suggests the springs are fitted to the chassis, though I'm not clear why. In any case , for now I have tack soldered one side to the inner edge of the loco footplate, and they don't foul either the wheels or the motor/gearbox, nor effect the ride height. Easy enough to change if there is a problem.

Edit - With the springs soldered to the body, if they touch the flanges of the driving wheels where they cross the splashers and cause a short. How do I know that???

One other mod will be the position of the handrail on the cab rear. On the kit, this is designed to fit below the half etch which is filled with 30SWG wire, whereas all the photos of the Derwenthaugh locos I have show it above. given all the other compromises I am making, this might seem a small point, but it is an easy mod, and we all have our foibles.

Edited by rowanj
1 hour ago, rowanj said:

We will have to see what happens, David. how did you eventually finish your version?

The chassis has gone into the paintshop, The brake arrangements look suitably "busy" though I doubt they would actually stop the loco. Mike suggests the springs are fitted to the chassis, though I'm not clear why. In any case , for now I have tack soldered one side to the inner edge of the loco footplate, and they don't foul either the wheels or the motor/gearbox, nor effect the ride height. Easy enough to change if there is a problem.

One other mod will be the position of the handrail on the cab rear. On the kit, this is designed to fit below the half etch which is filled with 30SWG wire, whereas all the photos of the Derwenthaugh locos I have show it above. given all the other compromises I am making, this might seem a small point, but it is an easy mod, and we all have our foibles.

I haven't finished it yet, John - partly lack of transfers, partly making patterns for the sandbox covers and tank fillers, but mostly because I haven't found a suitable replacement for the dome supplied in the kit: I need to see if any of my friends in high places can turn me one in a lathe. 

But you've inspired me to get back to it. 

Good spot on the handrail - I hadn't noticed that.   

I have been taking my time on the kit, bot have now got a running chassis, and the main superstructure of the body completed. There is still a fair bit of detailing to do, and I am struggling to find a good top-down photo to show the runs of the sanding rods down the top of both tank sides. I filled the sand boxes ahead of the cab, using scrap etch, and represented the filler with , I think, a Markits washout plug out of the spares box. i'll fit an operating lever in due course.

The chimney, dome and cab roof are just posed for the photo. Some locos had a distinctive bend in the roof at the cab sides, but my photo of 46 is inconclusive. Another photo shows a sliding ventilator on the roof of one of the class, so this needs to be fabricated. I fitted a tank balance weight on the LH side, and will repeat on the other - I used 7mm rod.

Steve at Railtec has produced a customisable sheet for NCB locos, and I have one on order, so will see how it looks. I'm not quite sure if we have got the height right of the cab numbers. I am more or less resolved to use LNER Green for the livery, but am finding the colour of the lining a bit unclear - is it Brown? Black? Dark Orange?

This is the link to the transfers

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=4371

IMG_20210308_203532.jpg

I'd always thought the lining was black on 42, but it looks red on the picture of 46 a couple of posts ago. 

Route of the sanding rods: 

20170903_111806.jpg.ba110fa1d1a19063b86da1b4a6b6ad02.jpg20170903_113335.jpg.90a0997f6939a6bef76e4308c0f48f86.jpg20170903_113340.jpg.1f22d32c87af6951b5991034b75ceb2a.jpg20170903_113346.jpg.6c8d3f0b50a8c71c8b6e2220e6aa43f3.jpg

Note the kink here: 

20170903_113403.jpg.3fd66b80fad4d26430d7d490041e6f1b.jpg

In this last picture the sanding rod is the one furthest from the camera; the nearer one goes to the injector. 

20170903_113406.jpg.13a98b280c1687cac2e9acc1ad7d512d.jpg

• Informative/Useful 3

The pictures from Daddyman reinforce the presence of the injectors on each of the tank ends at the cab / Unfortunately , they aren't in the kit and there are no suppliers as far as I can tell. I decided it would be better to have a representation of them rather than have none at all, so this is my first attempt, using a casting from the spares box. I'm not wholly convinced, and will spend a bit of time filing and shaping. Does anyone know of a source of anything more suitable? I did try ArthurK and had a look at the Gibson Catalogue, but nothing doing.

IMG_20210311_203912.jpg

• Like 1

No, John, you have to scratchbuild - as you do with the sandboxes, sandbox lids, washout plugs, tank fillers and dome.... 

The little wheel came off one of the Mainly Trains etches.   

I wonder if the Hornby J52 (readily available second hand) would offer the basis of suitable injectors? 

20170827_111705.jpg.09564523fbd730e914ae107fafab4b80.jpg

Lovely work, David. Is there an injector on both sides of tank or only on the RH?

I took these photos for another thread, but thought I may as well put them on here too. The loco is on the layout test, and I am really pleased with how it runs - Highlevel RR+ and one of Chris' Cam motors. No 46 had a really odd chimney - it almost looks as though it was cut and a new top grafted on it, so I had a go using a whitemetal one from the spares box. 

IMG_20210313_112219.jpg

IMG_20210313_112408.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Progress to date. The photos are pretty cruel, but there isn't anything I cant tidy up. I'm more or less at the detailing stage now, with steps, lamp irons washout plugs and whistle amongst parts to be fitted. Mike supplies resin castings for the front sandboxes, but my loco, like most at Derwenthaugh, had taller ones, I still need to work out what to do about the boiler fittings. I'll fit dummy couplings, and hope that, once painted, the bar which will be the actual coupling wont be too obtrusive. i'm reasonably happy with the chimney, which was a casting in the spares box, and looks like the one-off fitted to 46, which I suspect was cut off and anew top welded on at some point.

IMG_20210315_085826.jpg

IMG_20210315_085838.jpg

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The Kitson in action. I still need to fit dummy couplings, glazing, crew and transfers. The injectors will be replaced if and when better alternatives surface. I'll take a final shot when the transfers are fitted and some weathering done.

The kit is just what I like at this stage of my modelling. The design is excellent, all parts fit well, and getting the chassis to run without cursing and swearing is easy. It also involves some research and problem solving, as some parts are not supplied - notably the injectors, which nobody seems to make, so some adaptation is needed of what is around to get a representation. No two locos looked the same by the end , and probably were altered several times. In my case, I needed to scratch-build the front steps, the tank balance pipes, and the cab ventilator. The sandboxes were taller than those supplied, so they too were scratch -built, using only the top and bottom from Mike's resin casting.  I have also had the pleasure of making contact with Steve at Railtec to obtain appropriate transfers for number 46.

IMG_20210326_082054.jpg

IMG_20210326_081734.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 7
Posted (edited)

Railtec  transfers added - thanks, Steve-superb service. I finished up using Railmatch LNER Green, which is a touch darker than ideal. Latterly, these locos has wasp stripes on the rear and the sandboxes, and didnt carry a number on the front and rear buffers, as far as I can tell. But I chickened out of that, as I have a photo of 48 in green livery on the boxes, so went for the easy option. The only other mod was to the chimney supplied my Mike- No 46 had no lip and seems to have a less pronounced base, so I made as much of an adjustment as I dared to the resin casting, after having been unhappy with an earlier attempt at a whitemetal version.

The works plates are very prominent in photos, so I added mine using something from the scrap etch box - the kit really deserves a genuine plate, and will get one at some point. 

IMG_20210328_120257.jpg

IMG_20210328_120314.jpg

IMG_20210328_120349.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

The Kitson in action with a short rake of  NCB internal user wagons. I have a couple more Slaters wagon kits to complete the train, and it will look really colourful, albeit unprototypical for Little Benton, with the red-liveried Northumberland Coalfield wagons behind the green loco. 

IMG_20210408_164213.jpg

IMG_20210408_164248.jpg

IMG_20210408_164616_burst_01.jpg

• Like 8