>>>>>>>>

PMP

Fingers crossed this is as promising as it looks!

It looks like a Micro Trains Kadee style clone. B)

There's a photo up now on the Bachy website, it is hard to judge the size of the coupling relative to the stock pictured, but they do look a bit bigger than N scale micro trains couplers...

Agreed, anything has to be better than the clunky couplers. It's the one thing left that I feel destroys the illusion of N, as the detailing and running qualities on modern British N are now so good it could be the final thing that gives OO a serious run for its money as the 'scale of choice' here.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like a Micro Trains Kadee style clone. B)

Nothing wrong with that. The main problem with MT is the fact it cannot be fitted to NEM pockets. Hopefully Bachy's new offering will correct that. If they do variants that fit both NEM pockets and their old rapido boxes maintaining compatibilty between them it would be perfect for me (and probably the majority of other N gauge modellers).

I have been asked to post this

Pete Piszczek, on 01 October 2009 - 22:12 , said:

It looks like a Micro Trains Kadee style clone.

Nothing wrong with that. The main problem with MT is the fact it cannot be fitted to NEM pockets. Hopefully Bachy's new offering will correct that. If they do variants that fit both NEM pockets and their old rapido boxes maintaining compatibilty between them it would be perfect for me (and probably the majority of other N gauge modellers).

UNQUOTE

Reply from Bachmann Europe The knuckle type coupling announced at the N Gauge International Show at Leamington in September has been developed by Bachmann America for fitting to their American N gauge range (they already produce an HO version which is fitted as standard to current HO American and Chinese rolling stock. It is also fitted to some modern OO British models to reflect the prototype e.g. where no buffers or conventional couplings appear on the prototype). The coupling will be fully compatible with other couplings of this type fitted by other N scale manufacturers/suppliers of American models. For the past few years all new Farish models have been designed to include NEM coupling mounts. Despite this there has not been a suitable alternative to the standard N scale coupling (often referred to as the Arnold, ELSIE or Rapido type) which has been fitted to all N scale stock since the 1960s. In association with Bachmann America the knuckle coupling type is being developed to provide a NEM fitting (a European standard) which will become part of the Farish range. This will provide working knuckle couplers for those who wish to fit them as an alternative to the supplied standard coupling on items for which a NEM coupling pocket is provided. I trust this clarifies the position.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

I trust this clarifies the position.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

Partially, I would still like to know if they are planning to do a version that will fit the old-style rapido boxes. I suppose that might not be such an issue as I am pretty sure MT do a Rapido box version of their coupler so it should be OK if the Bachmann one is compatible with that. I would like to use 1 make of coupler throughout to be on the safe side but I will not get too picky about that. ;)

• 1 month later...

Any news on these? or pics anywhere?

I am thinking of my next layout and if a reliable coupling becomes available then a nice N gauge termius with shunting maybe on the cards :D

All quiet on the Farish front. I am sure that as soon as any news comes out it will be on here in a matter of hours. ;)

From what I recall Bachmann normally does some product announcements in February so there might be some news then.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do hope that the elsies will stay about though, as i have no wish to change them. they're perfect for a train set, and don't need any electromagnets to undo them, which is an awful lot cheaper.

Bachmann are describing these couplers as alternatives so I doubt that the existing couplings will be disappearing. Simply those who want to change will have an easier option with any luck.

I do hope that the elsies will stay about though, as i have no wish to change them. they're perfect for a train set, and don't need any electromagnets to undo them, which is an awful lot cheaper.

Elsie is a version of the Rapido coupler that only Peco use/fit. However, Farish (and maybe also Dapol) currently sell packs of the Rapidos with NEM fittings on the shank end to plug directly in to NEM socket boxes fited on new stock. So it's just a matter of stocking up on a few packs and you'll be able to perpetuate and replicate the old and dated coupler look for many years to come. B)

G.

• RMweb Premium

Elsie is a version of the Rapido coupler that only Peco use/fit. However, Farish (and maybe also Dapol) currently sell packs of the Rapidos with NEM fittings on the shank end to plug directly in to NEM socket boxes fited on new stock. So it's just a matter of stocking up on a few packs and you'll be able to perpetuate and replicate the old and dated coupler look for many years to come. B)

G.

Out of order Grahame!

A lot of people's stock have Rapidos and changing isn't an option for everybody. Like Dudley I hope the Rapido will continue to be available for many years to come.I certainly hope Bachmann will re-tool their 10' chassis with NEM pockets in the near future so short-shanks can mimimise the gaps.

Out of order Grahame!

A lot of people's stock have Rapidos and changing isn't an option for everybody.

Erm, I was not out of order - it's a fact that packets of the Rapidos are available that can be fitted in to NEM sockets. I did not suggest anyone needs to change either way and there is no need to - but there will be the option to easily fit either Rapidos or the new Bachmann knuckle coupler to NEM socket fitted stock. Surely that is a development that is good for all. And BTW you can easily fit short shank Red Caboose couplers in to existing older Rapido socket boxes to reduce the coupling gap.

G.

Red Caboose couplers (formerly known as Unimates) seem to be pretty much unobtainable at the moment. Someone has suggested that Bachmann (USA) dummy knuckle couplers are also suitable for connecting rakes that stay coupled together in service, but I haven't tried these yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Red Caboose couplers (formerly known as Unimates) seem to be pretty much unobtainable at the moment. Someone has suggested that Bachmann (USA) dummy knuckle couplers are also suitable for connecting rakes that stay coupled together in service, but I haven't tried these yet.

What's wrong with normal micro-trains knuckle couplers?

What's wrong with normal micro-trains knuckle couplers?

They are quite expensive and are not necessary for trains that will run in fixed rakes. The advantage of Unimates is that they are a cheap, easy and reliable way of coupling stock that does not need to be remotely coupled or uncoupled.

Unfortunately they are appear to be made from unobtainium. :(

The Dapol coupler is OK for fixed rakes all fitted with NEM pockets, though it seems to have slightly more slack than the Unimate. However the Dapol does not fit a traditional coupler pocket so for rakes not using NEM pockets you need the Unimate or some other option. I've yet to see how well the two couple to each other for a rake including both types of pocket.

Similarly for "controlled" couplers MicroTrains can be made to work for traditional coupler pockets but not for NEM pockets. The new Bachmann magnetic couplers are supposed to be available in a NEM version and rumoured to be fully compatible with Microtrains - if so then we hopefully have a decent coupler which is also pretty much universal.

I am curious about exactly how "fully compatible" these new Farish couplers will be with Micro Trains (MTs). Unless Farish have obtained a licence from MT, the new coupler may very well be able to couple up with MTs, but it won't have the automatic remote uncoupling feature of MTs, for which MT holds the patent. Frankly, if the new coupler doesn't have remote magnetic uncoupling capability (akin to MT), I don't see any worthwhile benefit from it. I like MTs because I can do proper shunting without ever involving "the Giant Hand From Above."

I agree it's a pain to fit them to Farish locos. I refuse to alter my locos so the MT coupler in all cases has had to be filed or otherwise modified to fit into the existing coupler pocket. The conversions work very well, but it's fine work. And of course, the newer locos with NEM pockets aren't convertible. Neither are the newer wagons.

Has anyone successfully converted a Farish Peak to MT couplings? The coupler pocket in the Peak bogie is very shallow in order to clear the axle for the leading pony wheels. I've studied the problem at length but haven't found the solution.

Finally, I've read in various places that MTs are very expensive. I live in the US and here you can buy a packet with enough MT couplers to convert both ends of two or three wagons for around $5 or $6 dollars or so. I haven't bought a packet in a couple years so maybe the price has crept up a little, but unless one wanted to convert all his stock I don't think the price of MTs could really add up to too much. What do MTs cost in the UK?

-Matt

On a quick look the prices here are similar. The Unimates etc are a bit cheaper if you can get hold of them, but more importantly they don't need assembling and setting up which is a big task on a long rake of wagons.

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

The demonstration version shown by Farish at last year's N Gauge show was a similar shape and style to Microtrains' couplers but the crucial difference was that the lateral movement needed for uncoupling was made only by the (sprung) hook, and not the entire hook/shaft assembly as with Microtrains.

To my mind this represents a significant development because the Microtrains design needs more length; meaning it is harder to make it compatible with NEM pockets without creating an unsightly gap between vehicles.

cheers

Ben A.

I am curious about exactly how "fully compatible" these new Farish couplers will be with Micro Trains (MTs). Unless Farish have obtained a licence from MT, the new coupler may very well be able to couple up with MTs, but it won't have the automatic remote uncoupling feature of MTs, for which MT holds the patent.

Hasn't that patent expired? It's expired on the larger Kadees.

Archived