Bachmann/Hornby Rat Sandwich

Sorry Porcy, I've not got near a 24 yet. Resolving the age old question of the height of class 24 windows is near the top of my list of things to do.

No probs. I'll pass the dimensions on if I get to do it before you. Don't forget the included angle at the bottom front of the side screen. That should settle a few arguments.

P

• RMweb Premium

While I’m waiting for the new grills to be etched I’ve been carrying on with detailing (some might say destroying) the body.I somehow couldn’t be bothered messing about  with bits of tubing to make the marker lights so I decided to try and make use of the Bachmann ones. These were roughly chopped out with cutters and then trimmed a bit with the scalpel. I then mounted each one on a 14BA screw with a couple of locking nuts and, holding them in a collet, gently turned them down on my mini drill. Because I had already drilled and filled the old lights, through lack of forward planning, I had to ‘drift’ these holes about one and a half millimetres higher with a round needle file. The resulting gaps will be filled with putty.

DSC01833.jpg.6a9e455530692388a91ace6a207c5481.jpg

DSC01836.jpg.6c00d1aa307c53ad15af3958079e0129.jpg

DSC01840.jpg.9d9b8f33256c73e6bbd88aa48d32ac46.jpg

DSC01855.jpg.a3a7b1919ed52c1f66915acc99f1ed3f.jpg

I have come to the conclusion that to rectify the cab side windows by opening them out, filling them in and then cutting out new windows, is too much work and probably doomed to failure in my hands. I have made things easier for myself (yes really!) by cutting out the whole cab sides. I can then cut out new windows from fresh styrene sheet, which will give me the chance of making more than one attempt at getting them right. With the windows done I can then cut and sand the sides to fit and I will only have to blend in the front curve.

You will also notice that I have been attacking the roof again because neither the Hornby, nor the Bachmann, roof was quite right in that area.

David

DSC01856.jpg.c3c047ce6c2a2281e42fb45bf79933a4.jpg

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Neat idea on the tail lamps. Must dig out the stash of Bachmann bodies from their crate and start cannibalising the various useable bits.

How about opening the BIS hatch and modelling the internal gubbins?? It was a pretty common sight for the cover to be hanging down (or even missing!) I've done that on one of my Bachby hybrids, along with tablet recesses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nothing is being wasted in this project. In a ‘light bulb moment’ I realized that I could recycle some of the Hornby scrap plastic to rebuild the cab sides by turning it ‘inside out’. This has two advantages: It’s the right thickness, and it’s the right colour. I have made a jig for the window shape and position based on the Bachmann door window, which lacks about a millimetre in height. The resulting window shape is correct, but is reduced slightly in size to match the door window. This is a compromise but, to me, an acceptable one. Using this jig the windows were marked and cut out, leaving plenty of surrounding material, and then the sides were shaped and fitted. Lots of kit-bashing fun! I still have a bit of cleaning up to do but I think I’m slowly getting there.

DSC01925.jpg.1054eba4241b74f3c3170b83b4d2a0bb.jpg

Here I'm using the jig to mark out the cab window

DSC01926.jpg.83fa283421d6ad1697ace8c5d8655b86.jpg

DSC01927.jpg.22515bf1eba25ae5dd4f351fea8c6af7.jpg

DSC01928.jpg.a7a7285b827aad2111cc8d271b1ca8f7.jpg

Here compared with a Hornby cab

DSC01929.jpg.61cfe34db1847672dbde336afa5debca.jpg

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

David,

Good work. That's a natty looking marking-out square! Where did you get this, pray?

Thanks, Phil.

The square is rather cute, isn't it. I bought it on a stand at the Intermodellbau, some time ago, but I don't know the name of the supplier.

David

Edited by Kylestrome

Are you going to market these?

That's unlikely, unless I get absolutely deluged with requests.....

*cue deluge of requests*

....If you've read Karl Crowther's article on doing a 25/3 in a recent MRJ ....

Up to this point I actually thought Kylestrome was Karl Crowther in disguise.

Thanks, Phil.

The square is rather cute, isn't it. I bought it on a stand at the Intermodellbau, some time ago, but I don't know the name of the supplier. 

David,

Ahhh yes very cute. Thanks - that was the clue I needed (that you bought it in Germany). So I searched Google images for 'Präzision Werkstatt-Winkel' (Precision Workshop Squares) and may have found a source for this tool - Messwelt: https://www.messwelt.com Of those natty marking-squares, they offer:

Tiny 25 x 20mm and Small 40 x 28mm squares: https://www.messwelt.com/winkel-praezision/schnittmacherwinkel/1153/schnittmacherwinkel-din-875/00-aus-rostfreiem-stahl at 13.92 euros for the pair (£10.52).

Medium 75 x 50mm square: https://www.messwelt.com/winkel-praezision/haarwinkel-din-87500-inox-flach/1566/praezisions-haarwinkel-din-875/00 at 14.50 euros each (£10.95).

Large 100 x 70mm square: https://www.messwelt.com/winkel-praezision/haarwinkel-din-87500-inox-flach/1567/praezisions-haarwinkel-din-875/00 at17.40 euros each (£13.14).

All very reasonable prices for precision tools. Total cost for all four, including VAT and postage to the UK = 74.17 euros (£56.03).

Super. Lots of other nice quality stuff on their website too. Oh, and they take PayPal. I shall order some!

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Class-25-body-in-grey.jpg.d0d92688123fb9b888b6b050561fa49a.jpg

Well, it's been nearly a year since I last posted on this thread, so it's about time I made some more progress on this loco. I haven't been idle but I do have rather too many projects on the go at the same time – sound familiar?

The body is at the painting stage and has had a first coat of grey primer. This has shown up a few rough areas that need a bit more filling and smoothing down. I also found out that there should be another triangular shaped panel on this side of the loco, and this has been scribed on since this photo was taken.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

What are you using to scribe the triangular panels. Are you using a template to scribe around? 

No, nothing so sophisticated, just a carefully measured pencil line and then a straight edge and scriber.

David

Edited by Kylestrome

• RMweb Premium

Now if you could just commission Phil Sutton to use your Rat body (or him to pay you to use it!) for his next top class offering, I think it'd be a winner.

Ian S

I think that his CAD designs are a somewhat more accurate than my bodgings, but thanks anyway! This body is very much a compromise and only an attempt to make something reasonable from two flawed models.

David

Edited by Kylestrome

Well, it's been nearly a year since I last posted on this thread, so it's about time I made some more progress on this loco.

I haven't been idle but I do have rather too many projects on the go at the same time – sound familiar?

The body is at the painting stage and has had a first coat of grey primer. This has shown up a few rough areas that need a bit

more filling and smoothing down. I also found out that there should be another triangular shaped panel on this side of the loco,

and this has been scribed on since this photo was taken.

attachicon.gifClass-25-body-in-grey.jpg

Great looking model. What brand of primer do you use?

• RMweb Premium

Humbrol enamal No.1, not that I'd actually recommend it! It doesn't cover very well and ended up being a bit rough, as you can probably see in the photo. I've had to smooth it down quite a bit.

For the actual colours I'll be using Revell SM310 Lufhansa Yellow and Railmatch Rail Blue (both enamels).

David

Edited by Kylestrome

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Porcy, I've not got near a 24 yet. Resolving the age old question of the height of class 24 windows is near the top of my list of things to do.

Down at Grosmont yesterday on a DMU related matter I was able, with permission, to gain access to 24032 and measure the height of the cab windows.

The glass area of the centre window is the same as on a 25 at 345mm maximum high x 690mm wide. The driver and second mans front windows work out at 560mm maximum high x 610mm wide which compares to my previous measurements of a 25 at 625mm maximum height x 615mm wide.

So there you have it. Class 24 cab front windows are 65mm shorter in height and a midgies narrower than those on a 25.

And, needless to say, I completely forgot to measure the width of the 'nose'.