Bachmann/Hornby Rat Sandwich

• RMweb Premium

So there you have it. Class 24 cab front windows are 65mm shorter in height and a midgies narrower than those on a 25.

It's surprising what a difference 65mm makes, it is certainly noticeable in photos.

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

But it's less than 1mm in 4mm scale. Is it really worth bothering myself over it?

Of course it is! The whole character can be changed. It's about relative proportion, not absolute dimensions. Look at the Bachmann 'Rat' - the front-end look (and thus the roof curve) is quite spoiled by getting the cab width wrong in relation to the main carbody. 

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 1

Down at Grosmont yesterday on a DMU related matter I was able, with permission, to gain access to 24032 and measure the height of the cab windows.

Davey, Just seen this.

In my best Arfur Askey voice, "Ay-Thang-Yaw" .

I'd Imagine BR may have  bought the glass panels at the same size so makes me wonder if the difference in aperture sizes is down to the size of the frames?

More juice for thought.

How long have I been banging on about this!!

Er... about 65 mm long?   :wink_mini:

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Over the years me and wavey Davey have argued about this, normally after several pints! I've always thought this to be the case but without measurements it's hard to prove. I thought the viability from the drivers seat was better on the 25 but we weren't sure whether this was down to the different cab layout

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've finally managed to get the the airbrush out and have done the basic spray painting.

These days this always takes an act of willpower, which is strange considering that, in the past, I used to work with airbrushes almost daily. Then came the computer, Photoshop & Co. and now I'm out of practice, and there is no 'Command Z'!   :no2:

Class-25_basic-painting-1.jpg.b25fe8f5c7cf97fa62b9439cc62d214d.jpg

Class-25_basic-painting-2.jpg.acf7bddeeccb1d2aebe32745613e6033.jpg

Class-25_basic-painting-3.jpg.ac2afb3f34d58a4565dc8159f6528e01.jpg

There's still a bit of touching up to do and flush glazing, detailing and weathering, but at least it's now the right colour.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just came across this thread as I've been doing something similar myself. Excellent step-by-step progress and kudos for your dedication to 'getting it right'!

A few questions about some of the later details:

- Bufferbeam - whose detailing components did you use?

- Wipers - again, whose ones are these?

Thanks,

Guy

• RMweb Premium
On 09/03/2018 at 11:20, lyneux said:

A few questions about some of the later details:

- Bufferbeam - whose detailing components did you use?

- Wipers - again, whose ones are these?

Guy,

For this loco I used Shawplan castings for the vacuum and steam heat pipes. The rest of the hoses, as well as the windscreen wipers, I made myself (see posts #1 and #6 on my workbench thread).

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/index.php?/topic/118922-kylestrome’s-4mm-workbench-–-Bachmann-grain-hopper-detailing/

David

Edited by Kylestrome