Photograph of weedkilling train

Good evening. I recollect seeing a photograph of a weedkilling train hauled by a pannier tank in one of the Bradford Barton 'Great Western Steam' books a few years ago. Can anyone remind which of the books it was please? I vaguely recollect the photograph having been taken at Reading. An old 3,000 or 3,500 gallon tender had been modified for use as a weedkiller tank. Thank you for any pointers.

• 3 weeks later...

There are 3 photos in -

'Freight Wagons and Loads in service

on the Great Western Railway and

British Rail, Western Region'

ISBN 0 86093 155 2

Photo No's 328, 329 & 330.

Pannier 5727, 3 x tenders, tank wagon

and 2 x brake vans.

• RMweb Premium

In Railway Modeller 1990 September, page 401 has a photo of the 3 tenders belonging to 'GWR Weedkilling Train No.2' based apparently at Wolverhampton. Also a 2mm scale drawing.

Hope that helps.

• RMweb Premium

ooops - 2 TOADs and an oil tanker on their way here.........

Would buffers on the former "front" of the tenders be required?   I guess so.......  unless they were close coupled "front to front"  and relied on the standard ones fitted,

Good evening. I recollect seeing a photograph of a weedkilling train hauled by a pannier tank in one of the Bradford Barton 'Great Western Steam' books a few years ago. Can anyone remind which of the books it was please? I vaguely recollect the photograph having been taken at Reading. An old 3,000 or 3,500 gallon tender had been modified for use as a weedkiller tank. Thank you for any pointers.

Hi, Weaselfish. You might be interested in Kevin Robertson's Odd corners of the GWRfrom the days of Steam. There is an eight page item on weedkilling trains .Lots of information including Tender numbers.Yours Stu.Opps nearly forgot ISBN 0 7509 1940 X .Hope this helps.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the book reference.

Just bought a hardback copy for 1p(!!!!!) on Amazon.    Can't argue with a price like that!

Re the buffers, the first picture shows the 'front' of the tender,

with all of the control gear (and what looks like 'normal' buffers).

The tenders are all coupled same way round, the one with the

control gear facing the tank wagon, the other 2 up to the engine.

Thanks, I'm glad I've been able to help.

It's an interesting book, with lots of fascinating pictures.

Some of unusual/rarely seen stock, but mostly of the

various loads that were carried (not very well in a

lot of cases!) and how they were loaded or corrected!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Colin Maggs' 'Branch Lines of Somerset' has a photo of a pannier with a weed-killing train at Wells, on page 59.

One photo in a book of this type is a find, but to have one of LMS/LNWR origin on the Midland line to the west of Bath, as well, is a surprise. 

• RMweb Premium

Having read the 1p book cover to cover already, I opted for the later style of train, with the cab over the crew on the first tender. 

It was cheaper to buy a non runner 2251and tender than it was to but a tender from someplaces, so there's the cab parts and a pair of buffers sourced at the same time.

What to do with a cabless bufferless 2251 body????????

Archived