Pulling a cmx track cleaner

I'm having issues, 2 of my 2-8-0 Locos can pull it but the thing is so damn heavy!

I have halls, castles, panniers, 2-6-2s, nothing has any chance in moving it.

Does anyone know if the 2-8-2t or the Bachmann 3000 rod can move the thing?

Otherwise I'll have to get a diesel thing that will take the investment up over £150 to clean my track.

Edited by GWR Joe

Yep, that pad underneath does impart a lot of friction. I use my hand to push it around or a heavy diesel for the more inaccessible places. None of my steam loco's will shift it, but most of them are small tank engines or 4-4-0 tender loco's.

The up side is it seems to do the job a lot better than the 'other' towed cleaner I tried.

Yeah the Hornby ones a joke, the Dapol one cuts out on dcc every few seconds.

The heavy diesels are why I'm thinking the 8 wheel freight Locos would do better then my current crop of Locos as they're mostly tender drive (although my newer halls can't budge it either lol)

I'm having issues, 2 of my 2-8-0 Locos can pull it but the thing is so damn heavy!

I have halls, castles, panniers, 2-6-2s, nothing has any chance in moving it.

Does anyone know if the 2-8-2t or the Bachmann 3000 rod can move the thing?

Unfortunately most RTR steam models are too light for the job. In addition to the Garratt, the Bachmann 9F will just about do it. That's because it has about a pound weight / 450g on the driven wheels. A pound and a quarter / 600g centre motor drive BoBo or CoCo model is a better choice. (Determined by experiment on a friend's layout after he acquired one of these.)

In respect of the two classes mentioned, the ROD won't do it, and it would be touch and go whether taking the ballast out of the boiler and stuffing it solid with lead would make it heavy enough - I doubt it as the larger WD 2-8-0 which starts out heavier can only just be got to 450g with fully concealed ballasting.

The 2-8-2T won't do the job either as supplied, but it comes with the asset of a large body volume thanks to nicely cuboid side tanks, and the front and rear overhang gives options for placing the extra weight to keep the balance point in the middle of the coupled wheelbase. I don't know this model at all, but that would be the one to look at in my opinion if you want lots of weight for tractive purposes in a GWR steam model.

Thanks for the replies guys, I may get a 2-8-2t fill it with lead (as I want one anyway) then if this fails I'll eBay a diesel.

£65 sounds good but it's still £65 on a loco I don't actually want :)

I'm also thinking I could fill an old Hornby diesel coco I have with lead but it's only driven by 4 wheels :(

Edited by GWR Joe

Loading up a single power bogie model doesn't work well. To keep the thing reliably on the rails, a substantial proportion of the added weight has to bear on the unpowered bogie, which promptly 'steals' much of the traction the extra weight is adding on the powered end. It came as quite a surprise to me when in my teens, that putting a second power bogie into a diesel model near enough quadrupled the traction, over the (worst case) of single power bogie leading operation in its original condition.

I use a Bachmann 66 (Malcolm Rail 66412) to pull mine. I can apply rule 1 to justify it on my layout!

Given that it's a lump of brass shaped like a US tank wagon, it's never going to look particularly realistic (on OO UK layouts) as a modeled train anyway!

My experience is that Heljan diesels are definitely the way to go to shift a CMX.  I've tried with Bachmann Deltics - Prototype and Production - but neither are as competent at hauling as my Kestrel or Falcon. YMMV, of course.

I would go for a cheep American loco because no way is the track cleaner ever going to look like a English waggon or blend in a UK landscape / layout so as said in a earlier post a GP9 all week drive second hand loco can be picked up for £20 or less

Go on have a bit of fun on your layout and build the Atlantic tunnel !

Hi GWR Joe

Can I ask, are your locos rtr or kit built.

The reason I ask is because if they are rtr locos they will need as much extra weight as possible added in order to move the cmx track cleaner. I saw a video once about track cleaners and the cmx cleaner was featured. If my memory serves me right it needed an absolute minimum of 2 or 3 Bachmann Class 20s to successfully move it at a decent speed but I would imagine that for steam locos a minimum of at least 2 well weighted kit built locos with powerful motors could potentially move it but its been my experience that heavy loads of any kind ( I don't own a cmx cleaner though ) need seriously powerful locos to shift them.

I use a range of diesels to pull mine. No problem with single Bachmann 20 on layout with 1 in 50 grad and 3rd rad curves.

M

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

Have a CMX but at the moment a double head steam can barely do the job.

The layout has 1 in 30 below board long gradients with radius 2 & 3 curves; fitted with powerbase on the up gradients. I have one powerbase fitted 2-8-0 Bachmann ROD and a non-PB fitted Bachmann 4-4-0 4P compound - and it slips badly.

I cannot tell a twin motored diesel from a single. I wondered if the Hornby RR P2 might suffice?

Otherwise a preferably cheap diesel, even better if early BR. Perhaps the LMS 10000?

Does the Hornby RR class 50 have two powered bogie sets?

Any suggestions appreciated.

regards

Edited by ColHut

When the pad on the CMX is new and the track is dirty, you need more power to shift it, I topped and tailed with a couple of Bcahmann class 25s. Once the track is cleaner and the pad worn in, I find a single diesel, or a 9F will shove it around easily.