A trip to the Dark Side?

"I just wondered how happy you were with the Bachmann Dynamis controller and whether you feel the trip to the 'dark side' has been worth it???"

My thoughts on the Dynamis have been given earlier.

As to the changeover to DCC, when the system is running I cannot fault it and I like especially the ability to control several locos at the same time. My main problems has been as mentioned before, has been the points and the chipping of some locos.

Hi Dutch,

Thank you for your input. That looks like another possible setup to consider. Given that I already have an old spare laptop, would I be right in thinking that all I would need to buy then is the SPROG? RocRail looks very similar to the Bachmann software - and it's FREE !! :yahoo:

We do not support Rocrail, only JMRI, so that should be taken into consideration. Support for Rocrail will need to come from their forum.

Also, you cannot connect a handset for convenient operating of the layout, everything goes via the laptop. But if that's what you want, then go for it! :yes:

Not quite true. You can use iThings with the WiThrottle App or Android devices with Engine driver, as throttles via WiFi, giving you wireless control system for free (assuming you altready own the devices).

Andrew Crosland

http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk

• RMweb Premium

We do not support Rocrail, only JMRI, so that should be taken into consideration. Support for Rocrail will need to come from their forum.

Not quite true. You can use iThings with the WiThrottle App or Android devices with Engine driver, as throttles via WiFi, giving you wireless control system for free (assuming you altready own the devices).

Andrew Crosland

Hi

When I tried WiThrottle it needed a computer running the server application. Has this changed? 

This was the reason I went with TouchCab as it does not require a computer.

Cheers

Paul

"I just wondered how happy you were with the Bachmann Dynamis controller and whether you feel the trip to the 'dark side' has been worth it???"

My thoughts on the Dynamis have been given earlier.

As to the changeover to DCC, when the system is running I cannot fault it and I like especially the ability to control several locos at the same time. My main problems has been as mentioned before, has been the points and the chipping of some locos.

Cheers!

I've pretty much convinced myself that DCC is the way to go (Saw a Dynamis going fairly cheap on eBay so decide to take the plunge!! :O !!). I'm about to lay the track for a large Traction Maintenance Depot section of the layout and trying to work out wiring/switching for all the isolating sections was making me think "Wouldn't it be so much easier (and quicker!) if I didn't have to bother with any of this?". So a small batch of Hattons cheap decoders have duly been ordered and I will see how it all works out.

Andrew Crosland

Cheers Andrew,

I'll bear all this in mind if/when I get to the point of going on to computer control of the layout. In the meantime I've picked up a fairly cheap Dynamis from eBay to take my first tentative steps in DCC, so having a backup handset in case of any future computer system failure won't be an issue anymore.

• RMweb Premium

Using a SPROG with JMRI (the context in which I replied) requires a computer!!!

Hi

The forum doesn't seem to allow the quoting of more than one reply anymore so the context of the postings are lost.

Your reply to Dutch Master implied that no computer was required for using ithings with WiThrottle and someone reading that may get the wrong impression as I did.

Reading your comment again I can see what you meant now.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

Hi

The forum doesn't seem to allow the quoting of more than one reply anymore so the context of the postings are lost.

I think the way to quote more than one person is to click the 'MultiQuote' button for each, then click on the little box that comes up 'Reply to X quoted post(s)' where 'X' is the number of posts that you have clicked the multi-quote button for.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

That doesn't work in this case. For example the quote below should have also included my post to you but hasn't.

I think the way to quote more than one person is to click the 'MultiQuote' button for each, then click on the little box that comes up 'Reply to X quoted post(s)' where 'X' is the number of posts that you have clicked the multi-quote button for.

Anyone reading this post will have no idea what the above relates to if there have been several posts between this one and the one I am replying to.

Cheers

Paul

That doesn't work in this case. For example the quote below should have also included my post to you but hasn't.

It still works for me.

• RMweb Premium

It still works for me.

Hi

My point had nothing to do with multi quoting this is to do with quoting more of the original responses. Only showing the last one loses the context.

Look at this reply how do I know what you are responding to? It would be better to quote the two previous replies. 

Edit: Looking back at some older posts it looks like the forum has always been like this. Maybe I'm just getting old or mixing forums together.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

It still works for me.

Hi

My point had nothing to do with multi quoting this is to do with quoting more of the original responses. Only showing the last one loses the context.

Look at this reply how do I know what you are responding to? It would be better to quote the two previous replies. 

Edit: Looking back at some older posts it looks like the forum has always been like this. Maybe I'm just getting old or mixing forums together.

Cheers

Paul

Ah, I see. You can do it manually by setting up a multi-quote, clicking the lightswitch icon and editing the BBcode to move the earlier quotes to embed them.

Edited by Crosland

• RMweb Premium

Ah, I see. You can do it manually by setting up a multi-quote, clicking the lightswitch icon and editing the BBcode to move the earlier quotes to embed them.

Hi

Thank you that makes sense.

Cheers

Paul

• 7 months later...

Just a few notes on progress so far.

Having sorted out the T9's  problems posted elsewhere, I turned my attention to the my Bachmann ROD GWR No 3031 and chipping.

It had ran smoothly on DC so after a quick check that it still did, set about installing a decoder. I was aware of the reversed  wires problem. So I removed the tender body and checked with a meter that the board marked motor M1 M2  and L / R were indeed reversed. I treated myself to a new adjustable heat soldering iron to replace the >30 year old one and tackled the reversing of the wires. (Be still my shakey hand!)

I inserted a Bachmann 21-pin 36-354 and it ran smoothly after adjusting CVs 54 and 55 as recommended.

Andrew Crosland

Just a tad late on picking up on this but Rocrail forum has a dedicated section for Sprog support with a link back to Andrews site.

http://forum.rocrail.net/viewforum.php?f=54&sid=e2943ceb1e03b360aaba747d1c4fdd18

Rob