SCC - Sparkshot Custom Creations - 3D Design/Printed Loco Kits etc

Knuckles

As far as I am concerned, a milimetre or so between friends is of no consequence. I would certainly buy your K2 if I did not already have one. As to wheel sizes, people are free to make their own minds up and use accordingly. Mention here of the splashers on the bogie: the Furness found them to be a nuisance on their permanent way and took them off; I have no knowledge of whether or not the Cambrian did the same. They also did this with the K1. Then of course they tried a phoenix superheater..... unsuccessfully.

I think you are right about the bogie wheels being 3' 6". The photos are undeniable and I have looked through my Furness ones. They also used the same size on the K3 and K4. Any chance of those being produced?

I did a test upload for the 3D prints in 7mm and a class 28 mogul experiment body was about £80 or £90 in WSF and over £200 in FUD. I did the maths...when you get everything else it is cheaper than some 7mm kits but others it is comparable to. Again it comes down to how much work you want to do, as you don't have to build so much for some as you indeed have said it suits.

The K3 and K4 are two loco's I've been thinking about doing for a while so I may indeed do it, but with so many to choose from I don't know yet.

The Furness took the splashes off yeah, like yourself I'm unsure if the Cambrian did. It's good that they were removed though as it gives more modelling choice and if you have to not use them due to tight curves it won't be wrong.

a millimetre or so between friends is of no consequence

Ah but if it ever gets in a magazine they may pick it apart as to be expected, then favour the other drawing dimensions. I've linked this thread and the S4 one in the instructions for potential buyers to mull over everything.

I would certainly buy your K2 if I did not already have one

To everyone - I have re-opened for sale the K2 related stuff that was locked due to this research. If you disagree with my eventual conclusions I sincerely apologise but I can't bounce forever as we are going in circles. The Chassis have undergone a rename and the information inside is updated.

The New Cambrian Locomotive and chassis will be released as soon as Shapeways auto check system gives the green light.

This isn't anything to do with 'New Year' as I'm a true April fool and believe the true new year is more around that time, specifically Pesach/Pascha/Passover, and what we have is a replacement. But you can research it if it interests you.

So going by what we generally call the New year I now officially announce the release of the

Cambrian Railways Class 61

...just as soon as I get the last green tick. Look out for it. ;)

The tender wheelbase on the model is 6'3" + 6'3" designed with 3'6" wheels.

I think currently 3'10" wheels might be the correct dimension out of the different pickings but I may do a new set of chassis as extras in the future, it won't be too hard to mod anyway.

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 2

I did a test upload for the 3D prints in 7mm and a class 28 mogul experiment body was about £80 or £90 in WSF and over £200 in FUD. I did the maths...when you get everything else it is cheaper than some 7mm kits but others it is comparable to. Again it comes down to how much work you want to do, as you don't have to build so much for some as you indeed have said it suits.

The K3 and K4 are two loco's I've been thinking about doing for a while so I may indeed do it, but with so many to choose from I don't know yet.

The Furness took the splashes off yeah, like yourself I'm unsure if the Cambrian did. It's good that they were removed though as it gives more modelling choice and if you have to not use them due to tight curves it won't be wrong.

Ah but if it ever gets in a magazine they may pick it apart as to be expected, then favour the other drawing dimensions. I've linked this thread and the S4 one in the instructions for potential buyers to mull over everything.

To everyone - I have re-opened for sale the K2 related stuff that was locked due to this research. If you disagree with my eventual conclusions I sincerely apologise but I can't bounce forever as we are going in circles. The Chassis have undergone a rename and the information inside is updated.

The New Cambrian Locomotive and chassis will be released as soon as Shapeways auto check system gives the green light.

This isn't anything to do with 'New Year' as I'm a true April fool and believe the true new year is more around that time, specifically Pesach/Pascha/Passover, and what we have is a replacement. But you can research it if it interests you.

So going by what we generally call the New year I now officially announce the release of the

Cambrian Railways Class 61

...just as soon as I get the last green tick. Look out for it. ;)

Re the cheaper surface: I find that priming it before using emery board or tape helps even the surface and therefore means less preparatory work. Meanwhile, I want to say how impressed I am with your work and wish you every good fortune with future projects

• Like 1

Re the cheaper surface: I find that priming it before using emery board or tape helps even the surface and therefore means less preparatory work. Meanwhile, I want to say how impressed I am with your work and wish you every good fortune with future projects

Thanks, I appreciate that. :)

For WSF smoothing my current method is to use P600 wet 'n' dry paper to start with, rub it fairly firm but don't smooth down the detail such as boiler bands. Then give it a medium thickness blast of Halfords Plastic Filler Primer (yellow cap) and then go over it with the papers. Using a finer 1500 grit paper is good too.

I find wetting it turns the primer into a thin cream that fills the surface nicely, for hard to get areas sacrifice a small fine file and gum it up and use that too.

I do this 2 or 3 times then it is ready for painting. Sometimes the top coat of primer before painting is the Tamiya fine primer as it gives a different effect and I'm undecided what is best currently. Hope this helps.

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

:blum: Ok it's ready, Cambrian Class 61 Locomotive and the chassis for sale.

This is good news.  I will not be buying just yet, my bank balance needs to recover from Christmas, and hopefully a second one around next Christmas.

• Like 1

In your own time. :) But thank you in advance.

Have a look at the chassis instructions and see what you think.

I still have some typo's to clear up though. I keep doing them then finding more. :(

I'm currently correcting them as and when.

If anyone builds an SCC kit and are willing to share the build in a thread or allow me to use one of your completed photo's as a promo' shot I'd be very greatful.

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 2

Thanks, I appreciate that. :)

For WSF smoothing my current method is to use P600 wet 'n' dry paper to start with, rub it fairly firm but don't smooth down the detail such as boiler bands. Then give it a medium thickness blast of Halfords Plastic Filler Primer (yellow cap) and then go over it with the papers. Using a finer 1500 grit paper is good too.

I find wetting it turns the primer into a thin cream that fills the surface nicely, for hard to get areas sacrifice a small fine file and gum it up and use that too.

I do this 2 or 3 times then it is ready for painting. Sometimes the top coat of primer before painting is the Tamiya fine primer as it gives a different effect and I'm undecided what is best currently. Hope this helps.

I spray with Halford's Red Oxide Primer (for the Furness) and finish with Phoenix Precision. There is also a Halford's surface filling primer that might be good

• RMweb Premium

I have just picked up on this thread.

1. The GWR issued a weight diagram, A.32. This shows bogie wheel dia 3'6", driving wheel dia 6'0" and tender wheel dia 3'10".

2. Wheel bases - bogie 5'6", driving wheels 8'3", rear bogie wheel to front driving wheel 6'6 and a half". Tender 2 X 6'0".

3. I know of no official drawing but one might exist.

4. There is a very strong likelyhood that the late Mike Morton-Lloyd made a drawing in 7mm scale.

A Happy New Year to all

To Tanatvalley:

Hello,,I sent a queery to a drawing archivist but if it didn't go through now worries.

The data you give is appreciated.

It is however info and part of the argument already wrapped up in this 'Cambrian Conundrum.' Can you put that exact data on top of the two photograph edits I did and soundly debunk the conclusions?

I ask because so far these two pic edits are the only thing that has convinced me of any particular sway due to all the written and drawn evidence being a tossed salad.

Hope you see what I mean! The tender conclusion of yours I think might be correct though so I can in the future do a new version but not at the moment as it will take a long time and if it is out (might not be) then only a tweak.

To 58Herbie and PaulR - Indeed. EM chassis are my next job after I've fixed the chimney on the Pheonix K2 (it currently has the old chimney)

Also to Mad McCann: Appreciated. :)

If you are doing the chassis with the 3'6" wheels then the top area will be thin and may need filing a bit more too, but I've put this in the revamped instructions. If you see typo's please bear with me as I'm sweeping through them all bit by bit.

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 1

Are there future plans beyond the Furness/Lanky prototypes?

Not rushing you naturally with these just being launched but there are a fair few 'niche' companies deserving of attention. :-)

Dave.

I'm interested in filling pre-grouping holes as I think they are the least well catere for and for the most part more interesting. With so many considerations and choices though selecting what isn't always easy. On top of that you get research issues like I/we are finding with the Cambrian Class 61 that I have had to put on hold now finally some solid evidence has come to light. The tender wheelbase for the Cambrian and Furness isn't clear yet to me though. Many sources are giving a wheelbase of 6'6" + 6'6" and similarly many are giving a wheelbase of 6'0" + 6'0" and a couple 6'3" + 6'3" that the model is currently made to. If it is incorrect then it is 1mm out, 2 after accumilation. If however it gets changed to one of the others and it is wrong then it will be 4mm's out after accumilation.

As you can see this is an issue too. Most sources are saying the wheeks are 3'10" and a few 3'6" like on the model.

It isn't visually much at all but a lot of hours and days to change. With concrete hard to argue evidence like I have now found with the class 61 loco I can change things but with all the different conflicting information it is hard to know what to trust.

I am collecting all the interests and requests for further possibilities but for now at least this particular issue needs to be put in the correct bed before things can move on.

The Furness Pheonix K2 now has the updated chimney but not uplaoded yet.

• Like 2

I'm interested in filling pre-grouping holes as I think they are the least well catere for and for the most part more interesting. With so many considerations and choices though selecting what isn't always easy. On top of that you get research issues like I/we are finding with the Cambrian Class 61 that I have had to put on hold now finally some solid evidence has come to light. The tender wheelbase for the Cambrian and Furness isn't clear yet to me though. Many sources are giving a wheelbase of 6'6" + 6'6" and similarly many are giving a wheelbase of 6'0" + 6'0" and a couple 6'3" + 6'3" that the model is currently made to. If it is incorrect then it is 1mm out, 2 after accumilation. If however it gets changed to one of the others and it is wrong then it will be 4mm's out after accumilation.

As you can see this is an issue too. Most sources are saying the wheeks are 3'10" and a few 3'6" like on the model.

It isn't visually much at all but a lot of hours and days to change. With concrete hard to argue evidence like I have now found with the class 61 loco I can change things but with all the different conflicting information it is hard to know what to trust.

I am collecting all the interests and requests for further possibilities but for now at least this particular issue needs to be put in the correct bed before things can move on.

The Furness Pheonix K2 now has the updated chimney but not uplaoded yet.

I think it is appropriate to suggest that, when dealing with information that is conflicting or hard to confirm such as wheel sizes, it is worth putting yourself in the position of the original designer/manufacturer. The Victorians worked on feet and inches, usually in obvious increments. So 3' 6" or 3' 9" wheels would seem usual, 3' 10" less so.

What had they done in the past, so what materials/tools were to hand? If casting moulds were available for a particular item, would you use that or make a change. If you make a change, then why? Change, unless for a valid reason, usually brings increased cost, so it tended to be avoided unless the results (real or hoped for) were seen as worthwhile. If the loco, carriage, etc. were sourced from a manufacturer, then you would usually have to stick with their design ethos. So again, what were the usual components/dimensions they used?

Some good questions and points to think about. I can't currently answer them from a knowledgeable point of view though. I know wheelbases and wheel sizes make a difference between weight, tractive effort, balance and all that but on the technical side of things I don't know.

I have an update on the Cambrian & K2 issues...

Firstly I thank you all for your input in trying to solve this. I'm not emphatically saying it is solved but some new evidence that has come to light is basically some textual information explaining that there indeed were variations in the wheelbases of the different engines.

I thank Grovenor for posting this on Scalefour Forum and credit goes to Mike Peascod of the Cumbrian Railways Association. So here is a downloadable PDF explaining things far better than myself...

http://www.scalefour.org/forum/download/file.php?id=10574

With that in mind. The SCC K2 Chassis and bodies thankfully are not changing in dimensions as they are as far as I can tell correct. They aren't changing.

The K2 chassis is designed with a

5’ 9” + 6’ 8” + 8’ 6”

wheelbase. The original chassis is renamed with the 3'0" bogey size designation and there are 3 new sets with the 3'6" designation.

The Cambrian Class 61 body and 00 chassis that I preliminarily changed earlier in the thread has been revisited and completed with a wheelbase of

5’ 6” + 6’ 6½” + 8’ 3”

When the EM and P4 chassis are completed they will all be uploaded as a job lot.

IF, and IF there is demand then I will also release the former version of the Cambrian Class 61 with the Furness wheelbase as an extra for those who are convinced of a longer length. If so the instructions will say to buy the K2 chassis for it. Good idea or bad? Seems a bit pointless but everyone has a different idea on what the true image is.

Ok Pheonix K2 has been updated, it now has a new chimney.

Just need to do the Cambrian EM and P4 chassis then that can be released, properly this time and then I'll be doing the E M and P4 chassis for the L&YR Class 28.

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 1

Hi,

I am happy with the new length.  Thank you for taking so much trouble to try to get things right.

Many thanks. :)

Quick update.

The Cambrian Class 61 body is now ready to order with a wheelbase of

5’ 6” + 6’ 6½” + 8’ 3”

designed for 3'6" bogies.

If you would like one with a wheelbase of

5’ 9” + 6’ 8” + 8’ 6”

to fit the K2 chassis contact me and I'll sort it for you.

Coupling rods and chassis (00, EM, P4 - Fixed) ready too.

Now sorting the EM chassis out for the Class 28...

• Like 1

Knuckles

Only thing missing now is EM GAUGE lanky Tender chassis

Strange indeed! Must be a coding issue.

Tender chassis is being worked on, just everything is being done bit by bit. won't be too long though.