SCC - Sparkshot Custom Creations - 3D Printed Loco Kits etc Various Scales

This thread (plus many others) has been visually trashed since RMweb blew up due to the issues with Dediserve etc.

Please go to page 20 for the start of the new content.

2022 edit - Also I've finally completed a proper SCC website!

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/

I've done what I can for Mobile View also although some of the text refuses to shuffle nicely on the main page.  It's all good for Desktop currently. 

with a new Catalogue price list that has pictures and hyper links to Shapeways equivalents so hopefully navigation will be super easy.

https://656d39ff-ec09-4b30-bcec-678065cb7c14.filesusr.com/ugd/e04827_ab98861d93ff473aa1229325122d0076.pdf

Launch Vid in 2015 - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GueZnmgf410

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/sparkshotcustomcreationsscc

New launch range of kits and bits!

[i have posted this in a few places and threads as I'm unsure if it best in this 3D Printing thread or in the new products area...so I did both.]

The video shows some 00 engines built, painted and running proving they can be made functional. They are in the cheapest material though so for best finish the finer stuff is recommended, details in the vid.

I've kept this quiet for many reasons in case you are wondering. 8-)

Please have a look at the vid and the shop and see what you think.

There are P4 chassis also but not currently available as I need to refine them more first.

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 4

So pleased to see some Furness models being produced. I already have a K2 in brass but would love to see a K3 and K4, as well as an M1. Some years ago I had a Neddie, No 16 and a Sharpie 2-2-2WT 3D printed on a non-commercial basis, which are still available, so I suggest you might want to steer clear of these (only the 2-2-2WT sold well). It's good to see chassis being 3D printed as well, which aids split chassis construction. I wish you every success

Ok, thanks for the advice. To know you have a brass K2 is cool indeed. I have seen one 4mm brass K2 and that was in EM but other than that I had no idea they were about.

Is it scratch built or bashed or an old kit or?

Split chassis never even came to my mind...but yes, it's all insulated. :)

Edited by Knuckles

Knuckles,

What sort of a run would you need to have in order to make a special order economically viable? Here's my thought, there are bound to be a group or club interested in a particular prototype that's not done by the Blue/Red box guys let's say for an example the LNER class W1 with the high pressure boiler https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_W1or even a bog standard Barclay pug 0-4-0T. How many would they have to commit to in order for you to be able to make a go of it? The idea being that this type of manufacturing makes it feasible to do models that would not be economical under normal circumstances.

Just a thought :scratchhead:

Cheers,

David

edited for dodgy punctuation

Edited by davknigh
  • Like 1

5-15? I don't know at this stage. Other than sorting my P4 and Em chassis out I'm looking at another engine to tackle. Thinking of an 0-4-0 at the moment but also thinking of much more too, I'm taking note's of the suggestions/requests.

With Shapeways you upload your models and then they can potentially be printed a billion times. If someone wanted a decent run then I'd be interested in discussing things.

Edited by Knuckles

Ok, thanks for the advice. To know you have a brass K2 is cool indeed. I have seen one 4mm brass K2 and that was in EM but other than that I had no idea they were about.

Is it scratch built or bashed or an old kit or?

Split chassis never even came to my mind...but yes, it's all insulated. :)

My K2 is in EM and was built years ago by a friend for his then Anglo Saxon Railway. I repainted and lined it and put a new motor in it. It is in the now sadly neglected tin plate, which solders and takes paint beautifully. The chassis is brass and by Alan Gibson, from drawings I gave him years ago

Thanks guys. :)

I think I saw the Brass EM K2 you speak of, if it is the one with the brass 'flywheel' thing on the tender then yeah.

Looks awesome to me.

It is tender driven using a Hollywood Foundry setup, so all 6 tender wheels are driven and of course I get a bigger motor than if I motorised the loco itself (not easy in a pre-grouping loco

Hmm, fair enough, it's true that getting bigger motors in pre grouping engines isn't as easy as the engines are usually smaller. As with any model loco you can hack away at the firebox and boiler bottom but visually it detracts.

Some earlier engines pulled shorter trains, use that as an excuse. :/

Edited by Knuckles

Sure, I'll crack on with it - I can't say when it will be ready but probably within 7 or so days. I already have a scale drawing but if you have another I won't say no.

I'm making EM chassis to add the 00 and P4 ones but so far I cannot find the EMGS official stance on frame width as it seems to be a varied opinion. I'm thinking 14.5mm's widths? Any advice here would be great. 15mm may be good but you'd have less play.

EDIT:

Good news: Body modifications almost done. Chassis needs a few tweaks as the Cambrians had bigger bogey wheels, 6 inches wider (2mm's on model) in diameter. As you can imagine this throws the current set up out the window.

What do you model in EM? Not many seem to do pre grouping these days sadly. I think it is one of the most interesting periods.

Edited by Knuckles

Sure, I'll crack on with it - I can't say when it will be ready but probably within 7 or so days. I already have a scale drawing but if you have another I won't say no.

I'm making EM chassis to add the 00 and P4 ones but so far I cannot find the EMGS official stance on frame width as it seems to be a varied opinion. I'm thinking 14.5mm's widths? Any advice here would be great. 15mm may be good but you'd have less play.

EDIT:

Good news: Body modifications almost done. Chassis needs a few tweaks as the Cambrians had bigger bogey wheels, 6 inches wider (2mm's on model) in diameter. As you can imagine this throws the current set up out the window.

What do you model in EM? Not many seem to do pre grouping these days sadly. I think it is one of the most interesting periods.

Great stuff. The only drawing I have is a photocopy of a drawing from a very old Railway Modeller, I doubt it's all that accurate but I can scan it in if you like, it'll certainly be good enough to trace the cab profile. 

I model the Cambrian in all eras, though I prefer the pre grouping period, thus far all motive power in operation condition I own is for the 1950s on! Furness D1, E1 and K1s are thus all welcome as well...

ChrisN will be after one of these in Cambrian configuration too I should think.  

Knuckles.

I model pre grouping era. The lanky are my chosen company. Love the two locos you have designed and built.

Would you be able to draw up a Barton Wright 0-6-2.?? There could be others I would be interested in I would need to check as only certain types were used on the branch.

My layout is of Holmfirth which is based around Aspinal era but also goes to Ww1.it would be nice to have a selection of locos from different eras of the L&Y for when the layout is out at exhibitions. Just to give the public a view of progression.

By the way those furness engines are stunning.

Any chance of maryport and Carlisle locos?

Cheers

Jon..

Edited by 58herbie

Great stuff. The only drawing I have is a photocopy of a drawing from a very old Railway Modeller, I doubt it's all that accurate but I can scan it in if you like, it'll certainly be good enough to trace the cab profile. I model the Cambrian in all eras, though I prefer the pre grouping period, thus far all motive power in operation condition I own is for the 1950s on! Furness D1, E1 and K1s are thus all welcome as well... ChrisN will be after one of these in Cambrian configuration too I should think.

That'd be great if you could send a copy. I do have two drawings already and have already done the new cab but I often find scale drawings between loco classes differ sometimes and it helps to compare. For instance I used 2 different scale drawings on the K2 and neither could agree on the position of the boiler bands, but looking at prototypical photographs showed that the boiler bands were in a different position, effectively 3rd choice.....so the photo's were used instead here.

ChrisN ... Nevard?

If that's who you mean and if he would want one of these I'd be honoured.

To 58Herbie: That's good to know. There should be more pre grouping layouts about. Most stick with BR. BR is good but we need more earlier stuff!

To both of the posters above and everyone reading: I don't know what will be made next (Bar the Cambrian) but by all means keep posting your interests or PM them. It helps build a collective opinion of wants.

Edited by Knuckles

• RMweb Gold

No, not Chris Nevard I am afraid.  We have been confused before, but he is not me.  If we are talking about the Cambrian class 61 then I have a copy of a drawing from Model Railway Constructor.  I actually need two, that is 2, class 61s as I believe according to one book they were begun to be built in 1893.  Christmas is nearly upon us so they would not be purchased until sometime in the New Year when my finances have recovered.  It may well be that I buy one at a time, and one may be as far away as next Christmas. 

There are other Cambrian Locos, some of which exist in brass, some may soon exist in brass but it may be worth investigating.

Ok ChrisN, sorry about the mixup. I assumed the lack of explaining the 'N' in the other post meant it should be obvious or well known. My appologies.

Would you please be able if you are willing send me a scan of the pics/article you speak of? The reason being pinning certain details down is difficult with conflicting information. Below is a paste of an email I sent to someone, if you have a look and click the 2nd link it may explain the problem. :)

Hello, I've made a scale model of a Furness K2 and released it as a kit here...

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/sparkshotcustomcreationsscc

The problem is I'm now converting another one into the earlier Cambrian Loco. I've already converted it to right hand drive but there seems to be two major difficulties regarding scale drawings. The first issue is presented in this picture that I made and sent to the one who requested for the modification regarding the cab sheet profile...

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/sparkshot/Cambrian%20Conundrum.png

I hope you can see my dilemma!

The other problem is the bogey wheels; my data PDF said the Furness K2 bogey wheel diameter is 3 foot diameter - all well and good.

The scale drawings of the Cambrian locomotive say they are 3 foot 6 inches diameter - OK so a difference apparently.

The PDF document lists the main differences between the earlier Cambrian loco and the Furness K2's but fails to mention the change in bogey wheel size that I would have expected, yet to make matters worse the drawing of the K2 in the same document (Phoenix super heated in this case) has 3 foot 6 inches diameter bogey wheels too when they should be 3 foot.

So as you can imagine progress has halted badly due the need to get this right.

If you could at all help with these two issues I'd be highly grateful.

Many thanks in advance. :)

• RMweb Premium

I think you will find that Minerva Models intends to produce a Cambrian 4-4-0 but in 7mm. And there is a book on the way on them, but I don't know when  it will be published (by the Welsh Railways Research Circle).though hopefully in 2016.

Jonathan David

To 58Herbie: That's good to know. There should be more pre grouping layouts about. Most stick with BR. BR is good but we need more earlier stuff!

To both of the posters above and everyone reading: I don't know what will be made next (Bar the Cambrian) but by all means keep posting your interests or PM them. It helps build a collective opinion of wants.

I agree; there's a lot of interesting pre-group stuff just waiting to be tapped and I'd echo 58Herbie's plea for M&C items. Likewise the Glasgow and South Western is woefully under-represented outside of the 7mm world too. As a Modeller of Western Scotland, any assistance would be gleefully accepted.

K2 is bonny though; I'll have one in due course!

Dave.

• Like 2

Cambrian Small Bogie = Furness K1 (designed for Furness originally)

Cambrian Large Bogie = Furness K2 (designed for Cambrian originally)

the FR and Cambrian variants of K1s all have 3'0" bogie wheels, which may be where the confusion comes from. Rush's Furness Locomotives book lists 3'0" for both and the drawings show this accordingly. There are lots of drawings from Stephenson's pertaining to the 1897 cambrian batch in the NRM, don't know if they would settle anything (the GA is not there). 

Edited by Quarryscapes

• RMweb Gold

At present, there is certainly a shortage of pre-group layouts and that is a shame as both locos and rolling stock were at their most elegant. But I think it is just a factor of there not being much available ready-to-run to get people started. That is changing a bit now.

And of course many of us model what we knew as children. Not many modellers about who were alive before 1923. But even when I first got interested in model railways, in the 1960s, pre-group layouts were rare.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, fair enough, it's true that getting bigger motors in pre grouping engines isn't as easy as the engines are usually smaller. As with any model loco you can hack away at the firebox and boiler bottom but visually it detracts.

Some earlier engines pulled shorter trains, use that as an excuse. :/

These days, it should not be a problem to find a small motor that is powerful enough. More a matter of a suitable gearbox as the small motors turn too fast.

At present, there is certainly a shortage of pre-group layouts and that is a shame as both locos and rolling stock were at their most elegant. But I think it is just a factor of there not being much available ready-to-run to get people started. That is changing a bit now.

And of course many of us model what we knew as children. Not many modellers about who were alive before 1923. But even when I first got interested in model railways, in the 1960s, pre-group layouts were rare.

For me that is the attraction. There won't be to much duplication of the models I build.