SCC - Sparkshot Custom Creations - 3D Printed Loco Kits etc Various Scales

• 1 month later...

Caledonian 812 TENDERS now available in 4mm!

Photon 3D Prints for bodies are £32 + postage, chassis Shapeways only (FUD/SFDP) & there are double pack offers for the whole sets too, bit pricey though.

If this interests please share. :)

For Photon orders email sparkshot082@gmail.com

for everything else

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sparkshotcustomcreationsscc?section=4mm+Caledonian+Railways&s=0

fjelrm7.jpg

Also the owner of TWO Anycubic Photon's now, much easier!

• Like 1

Hi Gavin, 

The tender referred to is a slightly smaller version of the familiar 4000 gallon Stanier tender found RTR behind the Black 5 and 8F. There is no RTR version and I think only one brass kit. It was mainly found behind Jubilees but was not built in large numbers. 

Not really your area of interest unlike tender variations for the 812!

Alan 

• Like 4

Can print them directly sure, just I'm not 100% happy with how they turn out.  They turn out generally good but all seem to insist on having a fine line through the planks that needs smoothing off.  Isn't a major but is anoying.

Feel free to email me for a print though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

They turn out generally good but all seem to insist on having a fine line through the planks that needs smoothing off. 

I have the exact same issue with mine, it's not too bad really considering the detail is as good as Shapeways for a much lower cost (at least in OO sizes).

• Like 2

Regarding the 4 recently uploaded wagons, I've ben talking in PM to Compound2632 who's very kindly spend considerable time unearthing some extra information.  Based on that, with these two....

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PKHMJEJA7/4mm-mr-d305-3-plank-open?optionId=157552067&li=shops

https://www.shapeways.com/product/N5QUSPGSZ/4mm-mr-d299-5-plank-open?optionId=157552069&li=shops

I've added the following notes to the descriptions:

Notes: These 4mm ones have been altered slightly from the initial CADs in that the number plates always appear on the right hand side as you observe the wagon.  Some details had to be thickened slightly or left out entirely due to 3D printing tolerances and design choices of over-scale visibility when the commission was taking place. 
Also some of the inside bolts that would be countersunk have been made as protrusions so there is at least some representation of visibility, feel free to file them off.
Normal concessions although feel free to view the CAD in the 3D viewer, top right of the images.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Just come across this topic, and could be very interested in your ‘812’ superstructures Knuckles. I am thinking of adding one to my stud, based on the early BR version to be brought out by a certain S. Yorkshire model emporium, the real one of which was a 64C loco. I will send you an eMail, and perhaps you can let me have one or two details. Looks excellent! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yo yo!

I haven't posted here in a while.  Been busy with oodles of stuff. 

Anyway, for my 18ft x 11ft 00 NWR loft layout (See my Sparkshot YouTube channel) I'm building I needed some track settas at radius's I couldn't find online as they were at the time of looking either sold out or only sizes that were different were on offer.

So, I've 3D printed my own.

20, 22 & 24" radius in ABS plastic at a rough 200 microns.  Just the ticket.

20" radius in the track is just a concept picture, it isn't going there or being set thus.

K3ueH4O.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all.   

I'm hardly the first to do this and probably won't be the last, however, I've kindly been commissioned by someone to design the 04 Drewry Diesel to give the tram way variations.  As it's a loco I've always admired I didn't say no!  It is both for the usual conversion parts for a Bachmann RTR model and a full body shell.  Here then are some Tweets showing the current progress. 

First test prints parts are plonked on the deck for effect, windows were too low at the front:
PnxwEqT.jpg
XrQjVgO.jpg

The corrected the windows, they may be a tad high now but will address things closer the end:

IWUrhq1.jpg

Once done and ready there will be two cabs to choose from, one with slightly higher rear windows.

Side Plates and Cowcatchers...or Moo punchers as I like to call them.  Those bits are for conversions, then full bodyshells also.

eMFHIly.jpg
OwqQ5uA.jpg
aA5Cj9U.jpg

We're probably 90% there now, mostly needs more rivets, chimney, steps, hand rails finishing off, holes for hand rail pillars, front lamps, radiator grill, foot grips on running plate and a few other bits.   As I'm sure you can see though, not too much to do.  

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...

04 Drewry Diesel – 3D Prints released!

Full bodyshells and conversion parts for a Wisbech & Upwell, and also ‘Mavis’ representation.

This project has resulted in me kindly being commissioned by Tom’ Waddell to certain specifications.

A Bachmann 04 was lent to me and the task was to make Cowcastchers, Sideplates and an earlier cab that can slot in to the Bachmann model with separate lamps to add to the cab after wasp stripe painting/transferring has been completed.  As the base model was on loan the sides and details were not filed down to give the Sideplates a flush fit as I didn’t want to ruin the clients’ model. 

You’ll have to simulate a completed finish with your mind, here it’s posed with blue-tack.

p5ZZbrl.jpg

5QNSF54.jpg

Parts:

GFwitBZ.jpg

aNSOzTW.jpg

Also afterwards full shells were made, quite a lot of prototypes were done before I was happy with all the chassis fixings and quality of finish. 

You can use a Bachmann split chassis 04 or Bachmann 03 DCC ready chassis, designed to self-tap the resin, many prototypes were gone through before the correct settings were found, around 7 or 8.  Usually can do things in 1 or 2 attempts but not this time. :D

VBBK4PG.jpg

The bodies turned out well but much better with thick side-plates printed separately, here is a final 3D printed example model minus cab and other details after a quick spray of paint:

xqi64Tq.jpg

Eww940a.jpg

LaQwYhi.jpg

Here are some CAD pictures of the Stove Pipe version, you can also not fit the chimney and have just the round base for it instead:

fH1BlPA.jpg

3asjh78.jpg

np4hycs.jpg

Here are some CAD pictures of the Saxa chimney fitted.  I’m aware this chimney with the early cab isn’t likely to be a real world example but it fits the way the character ‘Mavis’ was depicted in the Railway Series books so that will suit a few of us.  You can also use the Bachmann later cab with this chimney type for a later real world example.  This later cab may be created soon, undecided yet.

ybjBR9f.jpg

T69S2oM.jpg

khey3MK.jpg

CULNWW6.jpg

On the non-Shapeways version of the 3D prints the side grab rails have had to be thickened up to fit their printing tolerances, similarly the ‘skittle’ shaped grab rails above the steps have had to be omitted and also the foot grip detail on the running plate.  Initially I tried to upload the model to Shapeways with the foot grip detail but the file size was too big for it to be allowed.  These finer details are thus reserved for the direct SCC purchase options. 

su0dIR3.jpg

In time other combinations of cabs and body detail variations may be created but for now this is what’s on offer.

With the Shapeways options these are mostly complete shells to help reduce costs, the SCC directly printed ones are in more parts.

Shapeways 04 Drewry Options:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sparkshotcustomcreationsscc?section=4mm+04+Drewry+Diesel&s=0

For ordering direct 3D prints please email:         sparkshot082@gmail.com

Direct prices for the 3D prints:

Cabs, £12

Cowcatchers £6

Thin Sides-plates £8

Thick Side-plates with steps £14 (slightly longer, you’ll have to file more detail on a Bachmann model to fit as these are instead designed for the directly printed SCC 04 bodyshells.

Full bodyshells £44.89

These include a choice of 03 or 04 chassis fixings and Saxa or Stove Pipe funnel options, please specify which.  If you’d like to model the locomotive without a funnel you’ll need the Stove Pipe option and just not fit it on.  The Saxa options have their funnels pre-fitted.

With this you’ll get the main body, separate cab, separate lamps, separate thick side-skirts and separate cowcatchers. (Separate funnel also if ordering Stove Pipe version)

Postage Rates:

Within UK £5

Outside Most Places £10

Canada £13

USA £17

For a long time I have been getting away with charging a flat rate of £10 for outside UK orders but recently, especially for USA it’s gone up a lot sadly.  Found out the hard way one day!

Not every combination of the 04 has been made and most of what was made were to the clients’ requirements so in time there may be more.  For now though, this is what we have, please share this around if you like it.

I will be creating a tutorial video series on YouTube showing and walking you through my own build of the Diesel all the way to completion but not for a few weeks at least.

Thanks for reading 

YouTube video showing a lot more pictures and explanations of the refinement process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okfvYWbEQNg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...

Young Clive Mortimore has just drawn my attention to all this wonderful gubbinry vis a vis the W&E Drewreys. All looks jolly splendid apart from the radiator grilles looking a tad diminutive for the W&E pair (D2201 and D2202). Any chance of producing these at some point? Its either hope you do, or buy the whole body and substitute the front with a radiator grille from an Airfix/Dapol kit

And Clive wants his body of D2201 back too!!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• Like 1

All the lamps are seperately added and included with full body or cab orders  Can make lamps available as seperate details also sure.  

If so please email: sparkshot082@gmail.com

With the radiator grills I'm currently unsure what I'll be doing in the future.  Might do more detail variations but at the moment I'm working on another Broad Gauge loco (4-4-0 Waverley) for someone whilst physically finishing off my Drewry 04 on the desk.

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not posted here for a while as I've been busy with other things, some related, some not.

On the design front the broad gauge collection is growing nicely, funded via commission works.

There's still more to be uploaded and another loco soon to be released.

Anyway, see what you think. :)

Photon loco body 3D Prints available for a cheaper price also.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sparkshotcustomcreationsscc?section=4mm+BROAD+Gauge&s=0

Also we have a nice painted up model of an 812, both the tender and body.

He chose to fit a Hornby Drummond chassis, very nice too!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/5RR64VL4X/812-class-body-00-riveted?optionId=124325942&li=shops

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 3