SCC - Sparkshot Custom Creations - 3D Printed Loco Kits etc Various Scales

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. :)

I'll likely be pestering you closer the time for more information but no worries.

I usually make the axle holes smaller as you described so once reamed out the bushes (why we all call them bearings?) can be inserted snug as a bug.

If this new chassis design concept works out would you be interested in it being used for a 7mm version also?

No worries thats fine with me :) 

Yeah no idea why we do either! 

Sounds like a good plan to me - I've never built a chassis with springing/compensation so quite interested to give it a go :) 

The chassis design concept I am trying out isn't a sprung or compensated design. What I am setting out to achieve is a chassis that is...

A) Pie to build, easier than the 3D printed fixed axle ones I done.

B) Allows easy insertion and removal of wheels at a whim. So setting up wheel pressing and quartering is easier and doesn't need a chassis in the way. Also removing the wheel set doesn't require pulling them off the axle.

C) Pre cut out hornblock rectangular holes to accept a variety of companies offerings. Some tweaking may be needed to suit individual application but the hole is pre cut.

D) For the default fixed axles of default convention you just bung in a top Bearing Carrier, a wheel set and then a bottom Bearing Carrier, retained by some scrap material lightly glued...or the add on leaf springs.

D) Several Bearing Carrier options with various amounts of up and down movement in OVAL shapes, easily changed for individual preference, basically ask and it is a quick job. This is for compensation methods (and some bodge springing methods) where hornblocks are not required......or just some downward play. My current J1 has downward play sprung by the top acting wiper pickups.

Bearing Carriers to be available in different materials too, including metal.

-'''-

Sadly though they have to be sprue joined in metal as Shapeways allow only 2 parts per file and seeing as you need 4 Carriers per axle they must be printed as 2 bits max.

This means a bit of aggressive digging out and carving to a smooth finish with files where the sprues were but.....well, I think the advantages will outweigh the disadvantages if it all works nice.

Got a FUD and a WSF J1 chassis, various types of Carriers and stuff on order so very much looking forward to this one. :)

Edited by Knuckles

• RMweb Gold

The chassis design concept I am trying out isn't a sprung or compensated design. What I am setting out to achieve is a chassis that is...

A) Pie to build, easier than the 3D printed fixed axle ones I done.

B) Allows easy insertion and removal of wheels at a whim. So setting up wheel pressing and quartering is easier and doesn't need a chassis in the way. Also removing the wheel set doesn't require pulling them off the axle.

C) Pre cut out hornblock rectangular holes to accept a variety of companies offerings. Some tweaking may be needed to suit individual application but the hole is pre cut.

D) For the default fixed axles of default convention you just bung in a top Bearing Carrier, a wheel set and then a bottom Bearing Carrier, retained by some scrap material lightly glued...or the add on leaf springs.

D) Several Bearing Carrier options with various amounts of up and down movement in OVAL shapes, easily changed for individual preference, basically ask and it is a quick job. This is for compensation methods (and some bodge springing methods) where hornblocks are not required......or just some downward play. My current J1 has downward play sprung by the top acting wiper pickups.

Bearing Carriers to be available in different materials too, including metal.

-'''-

Sadly though they have to be sprue joined in metal as Shapeways allow only 2 parts per file and seeing as you need 4 Carriers per axle they must be printed as 2 bits max.

This means a bit of aggressive digging out and carving to a smooth finish with files where the sprues were but.....well, I think the advantages will outweigh the disadvantages if it all works nice.

Got a FUD and a WSF J1 chassis, various types of Carriers and stuff on order so very much looking forward to this one. :)

Ah makes more sense now! Sounds like a good concept to me and more than happy to trial it in 7mm :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally doing something I should have done a long time ago - linking to your Cambrian models from my website, hopefully may generate an extra order or two for you. 

COuld you do me a favour though and just quickly list me the $ price of the models, I can't seem to get shapeways to show it me! (Saves me showing incorrect currency converted prices on my site, I list them in dollars for all linked products)

Edited by Quarryscapes
  • Like 2

I'll have a good look for you this weekend and see what I can do. Truth be told though I am unsure how to go about it myself and Shapeways keep auto changing the prices when the exchange rates do so if I said $50 for something next month it could be $55 or 45 or whatever.

Maybe just show the current UK price listed and explain the exchange rate issue? If at some point I have a front page website I'll have the same problem in pounds even. I could type £50 then next week it could automatically jump or drop to something else.

I'll try and see what everything is currently looking like in dollars though.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if you would even want to do this, but how about the Shapeways widget? If Knuckles gave you the widget code for each model, could you insert it onto your site, then the price and other details would always be current. This is what I did here:

http://www.gnr-models.com/

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Can you please explain how this works as I have zero knowledge of it, how to implement or otherwise.

At some point I want my own website like yourself so it seems a no brainer to have.

Hi there, have a look at this page and see what you think, if you need any more, let me know and I'll put something together for you.

https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/widget

• 1 month later...

Rightio, Super Hyper Madman Update time.

Photobucket has been playing up and I still haven't been able to upload anything new yet so for the time being it is attachments I'm afraid.

Following on from previous progress of the J1 I now present the rest.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go to this link if you wish to see the update that shows and explains a lot, it includes a video of the completed engine running and a few photographs. :)

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5086&p=50219#p50219

Vid link... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzo7o3OVy0w

Also please comment, good or bad.

• 3 months later...

I'm still alive.

SCC progress has took a nose dive the past bunch of months due to me working a full time 10 hour nightshift.

I have little time to myself in comparison to what I had and the time I do have I often have less energy for obvious reasons, so progress is still being made but at a much slower pace.  The job is good though, I enjoy it on the whole and it pays well for a change so staying for a while.  ALso as I have been and still am building my first N gauge layout that has took some time up too, please refer to my latest Blog/Vlog posts to see what I have been up to as I am video logging the whole build.  So far so good.

Got plans for a small 0 guage layout as a first too, then after that it will be either another N, 00, or P4 one.  I cannot decide what order as I have many plans long term both for my own modelling endevers and for SCC that is going to venture beyond just 3D printing. :)

The common Railway modellers question, "What do you prefer most, building or running trains?" doesn't fully apply to me as I prefer to film them and make stories with a plot so for that reason I really need a film set thus all the layout plans and the partial drop to N.  I do not have much space though. :P  Can't see me getting my own place that is suitable anytime soon with todays house prices.  There is just me not two wages.

After the new MBS chassis test it is going for a second try via a completely different method.  It worked as my J1 in motion video shows but we can do better but that is for another post.  For now here is the latest pic of the Furness E1 progress that will also be the Cambrian Small Passenger Class locomotive kit.

It will have several cabs, splashers, chimneys and safety valve choices to suit the variations between the two companies.  The chimney in the picture you see is another Chocker type yet the top isn't finished yet as the profile is wrong.  Anyway, see what you think. :)

I only plan on doing the earlier small boilered versions currently. 

Anyway, for anyone who cares that is what I have been up to.

I'm still alive.
SCC progress has took a nose dive the past bunch of months due to me working a full time 10 hour nightshift.
I have little time to myself in comparison to what I had and the time I do have I often have less energy for obvious reasons, so progress is still being made but at a much slower pace.  The job is good though, I enjoy it on the whole and it pays well for a change so staying for a while.  ALso as I have been and still am building my first N gauge layout that has took some time up too, please refer to my latest YT Vids posts to see what I have been up to as I am video logging the whole build.  So far so good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fInDkRBhwXc
Got plans for a small 0 guage layout as a first too, then after that it will be either another N, 00, or P4 one.  I cannot decide what order as I have many plans long term both for my own modelling endevers and for SCC that is going to venture beyond just 3D printing.
The common Railway modellers question, "What do you prefer most, building or running trains?" doesn't fully apply to me as I prefer to film them and make stories with a plot so for that reason I really need a film set thus all the layout plans and the partial drop to N.  I do not have much space though. :P  Can't see me getting my own place that is suitable anytime soon with todays house prices.  There is just me not two wages.

After the new MBS chassis test it is going for a second try via a completely different method.  It worked as my J1 in motion video shows but we can do better but that is for another post.  For now here is the latest pic of the Furness E1 progress that will also be the Cambrian Small Passenger Class locomotive kit.
It will have several cabs, splashers, chimneys and safety valve choices to suit the variations between the two companies.  The chimney in the picture you see is another Chocker type yet the top isn't finished yet as the profile is wrong.  Anyway, see what you think. :)
I only plan on doing the earlier small boilered versions currently. 
Anyway, for anyone who is interested that is what I have been up to.
E1%20Progress.jpg

EDIT:  Forgot to mention, on the P4 side of things I have noticed that my mini layout in areas decided to gauge narrow a bit!  :shock: Unsure why but it is enough for me to say yes to a few rivets next time.   Rather than relay everything I have been going over it with a fine tooth comb so to speak,  any troublesome areas either have the chair sliced and repositioned or if that isn't possible I have been shaving the rails with new swan Morton blades.  Enough to make a few of you cringe but if it sorts the issue (which it is) then good enough for my own personal uses.  Also I noticed that some areas were not as flat as I thought so I have ripped up the approach rail to replace it and I'll be slipping some packing in the foam in the sidings.
I did say before I built this layout it is to make all my balls ups on and try experiments and it is serving that purpose well!   Will persevere though, not abandoning it.  :)
Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 2

Also for the N stuff...

Be kind, this is the 2nd time I have ever attempted to wire up a layout!  So far it is working, I just need to make the connecters and daisy chain the isolaters on the control panel and then full testing can begin.  I've been testing points N stuff on the way so there shouldn't be too much to tweak.  Thets hope so.
First picture is naff as it is a pause from the video not uploaded yet.
board%20full.jpg
This is the top.  Just used masking tape yet that gives a nice line to paint later if I want.  Right hand space will have the name and allow for future expansion.
Board%20top.jpg
Needs a small handful of wires added and we are good, connecters to be done and should be ready.
Didn't want to resort to the insulation tape and superglue bodge but nothing else was holding the wires without distorting the board.
Needs%20Daisy.jpg
Needs%20Daisy%202.jpg
This is my take on a DCC switch.  Simply got the 3 separate track circuits and joined them up with 6 bits of wire joined together in 2 x 3.  Pic should be self explanatory.  I'll be testing it on DC using this so if I place a loco on all 3 separate track circuits and they all move together with no shorts we should be good.
DCC%20Bodge.jpg
Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PY5NYFYWW/lb-scr-e2-n-1-148-extended-tanks-body-fud?optionId=62845622

N Gauge E2 body now available.  Designed to fit a Graham Farish or Dapol 0-6-0.  
As it is mainly a re-scale with some scale and printing optimization changes the underbelly is almost the same.  I'll be ordering one myself and having a play to see what chassis it fits best out of the two I have but I'm sure you can make it fit whatever you want.  A few managed to make the 4mm versions fit several RTR chassis so all good. 

I'll be doing an E2-X V2 also but as for the other two only if there is much interest. :)

EDIT: Anyone know how to change the title?? 2nd half is out dated.

EDIT2:  Sorted title out.

Just incase anyone is still interested the 4mm Furness E1 is getting closer too, in the middle of making the various cab options.  Is this loco of interest to anyone?    I'm making it as I want one anyway.

Edited by Knuckles

Wee heads up also.   Some Shapeways stuff arrived today.  Oh yesh.

My Keyring / Pendant arrived.  Well happy. https://www.shapeways.com/product/JTR9C8TJN/keyring-pendant

20170609_163455.jpg

20170609_163503.jpg

20170609_163653_1.jpg

One of Sean's top notch faces. Will be awesome once painted up.  Make the other expressions!   Do the sets, will make more sales.  https://www.shapeways.com/product/HK62ZDZUW?optionId=61077914&li=ostatus

20170609_162336.jpg

Dotsan's Moggy in 4mm / 00 / 1:76.  Quite fancied painting it up for the heck of it but it will eventually go on my next 4mm layout. Found here https://www.shapeways.com/product/QQS5D7KT8/morris-minor-at-1-76-scale?optionId=8448081&li=ostatus  I'll be happy to send you pictures for your shop once completed if it would help, might generate some sales for you.  Looks great so far.

20170609_163344.jpg

20170609_163335.jpg

My FXD print of the SCC Extended Tanks E2, only this time scaled to fit British N Gauge, that being 1:148 scale.  Next is to test fit the chassis and get that painted and detailed up.  https://www.shapeways.com/product/PY5NYFYWW/lb-scr-e2-n-1-148-extended-tanks-body-fud?optionId=62845621

20170609_162548_1.jpg

20170609_162642_1.jpg

20170609_163023_1.jpg

That's the updates for now.  Let me know what you think.

To Shapeways - All the prints look darn perfect, very pleased so big well done to you.  Makes a change for me to not be whinging at you for one reason or another!  All these are truly great.  Looking forward to post processing and painting.

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Major progress report.  Still needs work, will need the tender doing too but I plan to finish and release the body first, then chassis' then tender once done.
E1%20Progress_1.jpg
Let me know what you think, suggestions etc.
I have more variation fittings than shown here but bunging them all in the kit would significantly increase the price, yet at the same time having them all individual might too.  Suggestions please!

Oh yeah, I brought a Robox Dual too. having a good play so far.  Future post though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Major progress report.  Still needs work, will need the tender doing too but I plan to finish and release the body first, then chassis' then tender once done.

E1%20Progress_1.jpg

Let me know what you think, suggestions etc.

I have more variation fittings than shown here but bunging them all in the kit would significantly increase the price, yet at the same time having them all individual might too.  Suggestions please!

Oh yeah, I brought a Robox Dual too. having a good play so far.  Future post though.

Looking good Knuckles! Have you given any further consideration to releasing these in 7mm please? Certainly be interested in an E1 and a J1.

Yeah. I have no issue doing so. In fact one of my goals is to release all SCC loco's in all 3 main scales. British N, 4mm (all gauges) and 7mm. The E2 above is my first rescale, being N they are more affordable yet going up to 7mm makes it less affordable.

My only problem is evaluating interest as certain features will need thickening or thinning after rescaling and if no one will buy it then it's just time wasted. I uploaded a few rough rescales as price tests and in 7mm they are quite eye watering. As 7mm though they for FUD/FXD at least are at a similar price bracket to etched kits, cheaper in some cases but not all.

If you're serious about 7mm versions please pop me a PM and we can go into more details there. :) I'm working on a lot but I can squeeze them in.

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 2

Maybe I am lucky, but I don't find resizing too bad. For my standard gauge I am concentrating on 4mm/ft, 3.5mm/ft. 3mm/ft , all requiring virtually no alterations in wall thickness, althoughI sometimes add a bit in places I know could be weak points(eg buffers). I also try out N scale for designs, but that requires walls to be thickened. I don't consider it time wasted, mainly because it does not actually take very long.

As a matter of interest( I did actualy start it a while back), I have done an E2 for 3.5mm/ft, as it fits exactly on a Bachmann OO J72 chassis. One reason it took a while was that I initially used measurements from the Hornby model which were totally wrong, and I think overall too short.

It is difficult finding o6o tank locos long enough, but the LBSCR considered they needed a bit more space for coal. I would like to do some GWR locos, but the bottom of the bunker curves back into the cab, so is not long enough. Not a problem as I have plenty of multiple units,railcars,railmotors etc to do.

• Like 1

Rescaling isn't hard but if you go up to 7mm then some details may need remodelling due to the zoomed in effect. Backhead cab controls being one example.

I made the E2 for the exact reasons you mentioned. Hornby seriously skimped there.

• RMweb Gold

Yeah. I have no issue doing so. In fact one of my goals is to release all SCC loco's in all 3 main scales. British N, 4mm (all gauges) and 7mm. The E2 above is my first rescale, being N they are more affordable yet going up to 7mm makes it less affordable.

My only problem is evaluating interest as certain features will need thickening or thinning after rescaling and if no one will buy it then it's just time wasted. I uploaded a few rough rescales as price tests and in 7mm they are quite eye watering. As 7mm though they for FUD/FXD at least are at a similar price bracket to etched kits, cheaper in some cases but not all.

If you're serious about 7mm versions please pop me a PM and we can go into more details there. :) I'm working on a lot but I can squeeze them in.

Thanks Knuckles, will send you a PM now  :)

• Like 1

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y9VNFTH6V/fr-e1-cambrian-spc-fud

Furness E1 & Cambrian SPC Released at last!

Alternative cabs, safety valves, splashers, chimneys etc also are available.  These can be broken down into separate uploads too if anyone is interested rather than the sets, they are cheaper to bundle though.

The chassis will be released shortly and the tender hasn't been started yet but will be.

Other than the above posts, if there is any other genuine interest for 7mm versions please make them known and I'll probably do it.

Rescaling isn't hard but if you go up to 7mm then some details may need remodelling due to the zoomed in effect. Backhead cab controls being one example.

I made the E2 for the exact reasons you mentioned. Hornby seriously skimped there.

My designs start at 7mm/ft, then get resized down. For most models I don't think 7mm scale versions would be worth it.

From experierience and feedback for my narrow gauge designs, most are happy with plain cab interior. It would take a lot of detailed research for me to include it. I also still find keeping body to one piece works best. My designs are actualy composed of several parts, so I could offer those separate.

The main failing with the Hornby model is the length. it is actually not much more than a couple of mm, but that ws enough to stop it fitting the J72 chassis in HO.

Having said that, you have to take most drawings with a pinch of salt. Loco ones seem to be better, but coach/railcar ones are often slightly different to what was actually produced. Jim Russell mentions this in his books on the GWR. I notice the Cumbrian Railway society(or name like that), has drawings of much of the Furness stock, some done my well known modellers.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

Yeah, everyone has different interests and needs though it seems.  I found when doing the Furness K2, tender and Cambrian 61 that not all drawings are created equal.  It really can be a minefield.

E1 & Cambrian Chassis now available, here is the link for the 00 version.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/2FYGUD64W/fr-e1-cambrian-spc-00-chassis

Will sort a WSF optimized loco body out shortly too.

As well as the 4mm FUD release of the FR E1 & Cambrian SPC and as well as releasing the splasher, safety valve, chimney, cab sets etc to complete the versions; yestarday and today there have been more developments.

The 5 different splasher and cab types are also now available as separate choices, this is so you can target more what you want and need rather than waste if you only want a specific combination.

Furthermore, another version of the loco has been added, this time both in FUD and WSF labelled as 'BASIC' for the simple reason it is a more basic kit.  All the optional choices have been pulled off ready for individual components (as described above) to be added.  This body is also a little different inside the cab because the splashers have been completely removed and again these are available as separate items.  However, they are made available in 00, EM & P4 so now you don't have to bear with over the top large cab splashers if not modelling in 00.  The only quibble is you will need to file down the backhead controls at the sides if modelling in EM or P4 to accommodate the change, as a result another version of the controls has been uploaded too.

Here is the FR E1 & Cambrian SPC that was previously shown.  It is in one version so you'll have what's needed for this version.  However for the others you'll need to buy the relevant choices.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y9VNFTH6V/fr-e1-cambrian-spc-fud?optionId=63051105

To compare with below:

Here is the WSF BASIC version.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/4X8YWX96J/fr-e1-cambrian-spc-basic-wsf?optionId=63061395

Here is the FUD BASIC version.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NTUTEY56L/fr-e1-cambrian-spc-basic-fud?optionId=63061182

Here is two examples of the splashers (5 total)

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KE9XT94NF/fr-e1-cambrian-spc-splashers-open-13?optionId=63060993

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NPY4RDSEP/fr-e1-cambrian-spc-splashers-closed-smooth?optionId=63061017

Here is the P4 splashers for inside the cab of the BASIC versions only.  Again, 00 and EM ones also there.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/RSDQQK7J6/fr-e1-cambrian-spc-cab-splashers-p4?optionId=63061343

Furness Cab

https://www.shapeways.com/product/F4ND8BEJU/fr-e1-cambrian-spc-cab-furness?optionId=63062146

Cambrian Cab

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z87YF4EE2/fr-e1-cambrian-spc-cab-cambrian

Cambrian Small Cab (More like a windshield)

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y3UCZRCEL/fr-e1-cambrian-spc-cab-small-cambrian

If there is any desire for individual chimneys and safety valves then they can be done too yet shapeways add a standard file price to every upload which is why it is often cheaper to offer them in packs, especially if sprued.

Pretty much all previous pictures have been destroyed due to Photobucket giving us the middle finger, thus over a decade of forums postings have been wrecked, not happy.   Please see the quick vid in my blog for more.  Apparently a few billion others have been screwed over too.

On the good news, the Furness J1 has now after some tweaking and improving on a few details been re-scaled to 7mm.  There is a chassis, a backhead, chimneys and also some seriously re-profiled coupling rods to compliment and complete the item.  The latter have been thinned out in areas and redrawn due to the extra space and printing tolerance 7mm scale offers.  However, it is still my intention to provide etches yet I haven't got around to that yet.  

https://www.shapeways.com/product/54QZBFA6F/7mm-furness-j1

• Like 1

Pretty much all previous pictures have been destroyed due to Photobucket giving us the middle finger, thus over a decade of forums postings have been wrecked, not happy.   Please see the quick vid in my blog for more.  Apparently a few billion others have been screwed over too.

One reason I have my own web site, which does not cost very much each month, and I post all my own pictures on it. It is not the first time photo hosting websites have had problems. I do use free webspace(eg Facebook, and some blog site),  but they are just extras, not main place to post pictures. My  own IT work experience taught me to be careful, and never assume.