SCC - Sparkshot Custom Creations - 3D Printed Loco Kits etc Various Scales

www.shapeways.com/shops/sparkshotcustomcreationsscc…

A0 Prototype Pacific RANGE RELEASED. Follow up pictures, video and maybe some more items may follow.

Shown is just one of the Full shells, currently the only one although I will be uploading a few. However MOST combinations you'll have to make yourself.

I know this is a niche subject yet important to me either way. :thumb

Showing a Full loco shell, a few more will follow however MOST combinations you'll have to make yourself. Details within.

qG3Enkc.png

• Like 2

Quicky SCC ad' showing the A0 Prototype Pacific.

Vid shows some of the combinations, most of you have seen it and I made the vids for other areas of the 'net yet you may be interested.

Got a lot of half done projects on the desk but should have some interesting content for you all soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for those interested!

L&YR Class 28 Mogul Experiment has been re-scaled into N Gauge and 7mm 0 Gauge.

For N the body and for 7mm 0 the body and the chassis.

N gauge body is here https://www.shapeways.com/product/NAHNCH5S2/n-1-148-l-yr-class-28-mogul-experiment?optionId=63943833

The 7mm Re-scale and tweaked body is here https://www.shapeways.com/product/6N25TWJSS/7mm-l-yr-class-28-mogul-experiment

The 7mm 0 Gauge Chassis here https://www.shapeways.com/product/FRXQJ9ENT/7mm-l-yr-class-28-mogul-experiment-0-chassis?optionId=63943977

It so far is looking like the coupling rods cannot be offered due to bounding box issues so apologies for that. Currently beyond my control though.

Re-scaling and optimizing thicknesses for each is an on going process so keep your eyes peeled and please make your interests known as that likely will

change my priority for the re-scales as currently I'm neutral to which order I do them in.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Quick update guys, I know I've been ultra quiet on the forums lately, just been busy with loads of stuff.

However I've made some progress.

The Fr J1 is now not only available in 4 & 7mm but also British N Gauge now too!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SGH4T676E/n-1-148-fr-j1?optionId=64883060

One combination variant of the FR E1 / Cambrian SPC is now available in 3mm scale but currently only for 14.2mm gauge. Tender body also done.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/EY96MAAXM/3mm-cambrian-spc-14-2-gauge-only?optionId=64776081

https://www.shapeways.com/product/633DSECGM/3mm-cambrian-spc-tender?optionId=64776101

The LB&SCR E2 Extended Tanks version is also re-scaled to 3mm.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NQ3VQFK6Z/3mm-lb-scr-e2-extended-tanks-body?optionId=64779086

Will have to change my signature link soon I think now I'm catering for ~2, 3, 4 & 7mm now. Good init!

• Like 5

My E2 was done to see if it would fit the J72 chassis.

Resizing in software I use is easy. I just have to be careful with N scale, as it needs some wall thickening, and O/G1  requires reducing wall thickness(saves money and looks better).

If someone asks for another scale, it does not take long , depending on the scale and how it relates to ones I have already done. Sometimes less than 5-10min work and I have a new model up and running(and often available).

• Like 1

If someone asks for another scale, it does not take long , depending on the scale and how it relates to ones I have already done. Sometimes less than 5-10min work and I have a new model up and running(and often available).

As I know all too well from our discussions on shapeways! I really do need to buy rather a lot of your stuff, some of which I asked you to do, but unfortunately I'm trying to scrape together enough to get my own designs printed at the moment.

• Like 1

Great thing about 3D printing is that ,apart from my own time, and a bit of electricity to run computer, there are no actual costs, until I want something printed myself. I used to get a lot printed, just to test, but not only did this become costly, but I have also become better at judging what will work. I do still make mistakes, and I am also certain some bugs get in due to  my computer still not being quite powerful enough.

The Shapways tools are much better now, and will check for obvious errors, but most of my early designs did not have this to check them, so occasionally there are rejections. If I spot a pattern, I will normally check similar designs to see if they might fail in the future. Shapeways have also moved the goal posts, so some items that have printed will sometimes now get rejected. Compared to what some were saying 3 or 4 years ago, SW are a lot better now.

• Like 3

I have the same experience with Shapeways moving the goal posts. Also as I have my own printer I don't have to order test prints much so things are cheaper in that sense too, also like you said your skill improves so you don't need to as much.

For me re-scaling is a fairly quick job. To actually re-scale something it only takes about 30 seconds literally but after that it can take a number of hours reworking for wall and detail thickening, in some cases thinning.

At the moment I'm re-scaling a lot as it is a lot quicker than making a fresh loco and it opens my creations to more people so potentially all good.

• Like 1

Well, not one to talk bull' here is the H0 LBSCR E2 Extended Tank re-scale..

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sparkshotcustomcreationsscc?section=3.5mm+LB%26SCR+Loco'+Bodies&s=0

Here is the 10mm Gauge 1 LBSCR Extended Tank E2

10mm, although 9.525m likely can be done if anyone wants it also.

I couldn't get this to pass in FUD/FXD due to the bounding box. It's BIG!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/HGZLKWCJW/lb-scr-e2-10mm-extended-tanks?optionId=64894928&li=marketplace

Although in WSF the larger size would make smoothing a lot easier than in 4mm. A chassis for this likely will follow at some point.

Now must sort that signature out...

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 2

Have you thinned down the wall thickness for the G1 models. It is surprising just how much difference that makes with bigger scales. This is my loco part for L&Y steam railmotor in 1/32 scale(Proper gauge one, not this Greenly spin off!) https://www.shapeways.com/product/2FZ5WVFDT/o-32-l-y-steam-railmotor-loco-1

Even this is just an upsized O scale version with minimum wall thickness therefore coming out at 1.4mm . I am testing reducing thickness so it comes nearer to 1mm, for coaches.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

I thinned some details but the main wall thickness I left. Will have a look at it and might reduce them.

Wouldn't want it too thin though with such a larger size.

For the N E2-X I've not looked for a chassis. I re-scaled it because people asked for it. I did the Mogul re-scale because you asked for it yet I don't know why.

I am a member of the L&Y society, and have already done the steam railmotor. L&Y locos are relatively simple designs, parallel boilers and simple cabs.

I try to make all my designs for N, TT, HO, OO ,O and G1 . Might consider S at some stage if asked.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

Yeah, makes TOO much sense doesn't it?

I mainly model in 4mm so I will still be making new loco's and builds principally in this scale but then after

re-scaling either way I think will have to be the norm from now on.

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 3

My initial interest was standard gaugein HO scale. To get there I start all designs in O scale, reduce by 50%, then up them to OO, then down to TT3.OO, HO and TT3 all use same designs, same wall thickeses which obviously then get resized for each scale. N scale needs walls thickening, although I can do some just for FUD, by simply resizing the original.

I did not originally plan to do O and G1, but was talking to someone at Manchester Exhibition, and he asked if one could be resized to O. I went home to test it, and idesign looks OK. I was worried that errors might creap in. G1 is then a simple resize of O, but for big coaches I have reduced wall thickness very slightly, which actually brings cost down. In G1, max coach length that can be done is a model 60ft. That will limit me, and lt also means 10mm/ft is not possible for many coaches.

The only designs I have tried in S (1/64) have been some narrow gauge, but they proved too small for what I wanted so moved up to 5.5mm/ft. It should not be too difficult to resize my standard gauge to 1/64. Just the time it takes with so many coaches in my range. Also S tends to be more finescale, so will have to think. It is the same relative change as I do for O to G1(or just a 50% reduction on the G1). It is all too easy to try to do too mch, and I have enough designs already.

• Like 2

Yeah I hear you. I'm a bit choosey with wgat I re-scale based on perceived popularity so some re-scales are there in case anyone indeed does want them. More the merrier though I guess. Plus more designs on shop might increase SEO results anyway.

I want to build one of my own kits in 0 or G1 just for kicks. If I made an 0 layout for it then it would be 15' x 3' max. If did in G1 though it'd have 2-3 points max so unsure. I am attracted to the beastiness of it though. I feel like a kid again where everything is massive!

• Like 1