SCC - Sparkshot Custom Creations - 3D Printed Loco Kits etc Various Scales

For those of you in various places who has expressed confusion and  wondering why I set out to make the 812 when there is a brass kit and an RTR model coming along;

as said in other places, ultimately I want to build 4 of these so it's a lot cheaper for me to do my own, on top of that the plan has been in my mind for around a decade so it isn't anything new. 

Further more, I can re-scale these up or down if there is any interest so from my perspective it makes perfect sense.

Comments )good or bad) and shares welcome.

Note about the blue render.

This is just a quick render to give an impression, not an attempt to show an accurate combination as indeed the Caley ones were smooth with a different smokebox door. You'll also see I didn't finish all the livery details for the same reason. A nice blue and white render looks better than boring black.

However, just for the sake of it here is it in black with a different safety valve and a number bunged on.  Again, just as a quick impression.

KgLjb2I.jpg

yfrYDHA.jpg

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely quality of print, I'm planning to finish mine as 828 - paint is only an initial layer (blue is only to be an undercoat).  A great way to make a start on a Caley 0-6-0 (ok there is a chassis to source but still), and might hopefully order more once this is done.  The spare parts (different safety valves, buffers and spare whistles) will also be very handy for future scratchbuilds/bodges

001.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 13/10/2019 at 17:28, Caley 439 said:

Lovely quality of print, I'm planning to finish mine as 828 - paint is only an initial layer (blue is only to be an undercoat).  A great way to make a start on a Caley 0-6-0 (ok there is a chassis to source but still), and might hopefully order more once this is done.  The spare parts (different safety valves, buffers and spare whistles) will also be very handy for future scratchbuilds/bodges

001.JPG

Nice to see this in the flesh, so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I’m absolutely dumbfounded as this one has sneaked in right under my radar. Impressed and very, very interested. You’ll definitely be getting orders from me in due course.

Please consider doing a Jumbo too; the world will be a better place for it! :-)

Davy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Mad McCann said:

Well, I’m absolutely dumbfounded as this one has sneaked in right under my radar. Impressed and very, very interested. You’ll definitely be getting orders from me in due course.

Please consider doing a Jumbo too; the world will be a better place for it! :-)

Davy.

Excellent new loco there from Knuckles (Knuckles wants 4 of them?)

I agree, a Jumbo would be a great addition.  Would not that better suit those with Sudrian tendencies?  I thought the Scottish twins were Jumbos, not 812s?

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

Well, to the best of my knowledge, “Donald and Douglas” were inspired by the pairs of 812s used on the Annbank mineral turns in Ayrshire rather than Jumbos.

Which of course doesn’t detract from the extreme utility of the Jumbos which in that period were still widely used on the lighter goods turns with their 2F rating, as opposed to the 3F of the 812s.

:-)

Davy.

Edited by Mad McCann
Spelling errors!
  • Like 2

Donald and Douglas are indeed 812's.

The Portly one ordered one engine that would be the next number in the 657 Class.  Later in the series it was revealed the twins were saved from scrap so me and a few others in a particular research group have concluded one 657 was ordered but two 812 nails sent instead.  The 2nd perhaps for compensation or spares due to what seems to be the result of a wee scam.

Yeah I want 4 of them, works out much cheaper for me to thus draw them up myself.  If I was building just one model I wouldn't have bothered designing them. 

I'll need two black and two blue for the above RWS characters and possibly some painted up in a real livery as I love my pre-grouping models.  

Railway Series (RWS) modelling in a serious researched way and pre-grouping railways are my chief two railway modelling interests.  I quite like BR stuff too but we see too much of that for the most part.

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

Donald and Douglas are indeed 812's.

The Portly one ordered one engine that would be the next number in the 657 Class.  Later in the series it was revealed the twins were saved from scrap so me and a few others in a particular research group have concluded one 657 was ordered but two 812 nails sent instead.  The 2nd perhaps for compensation or spares due to what seems to be the result of a wee scam.

Yeah I want 4 of them, works out much cheaper for me to thus draw them up myself.  If I was building just one model I wouldn't have bothered designing them. 

I'll need two black and two blue for the above RWS characters and possibly some painted up in a real livery as I love my pre-grouping models.  

Railway Series (RWS) modelling in a serious researched way and pre-grouping railways are my chief two railway modelling interests.  I quite like BR stuff too but we see too much of that for the most part.

I guessed 4 = 2 black plus 2 blue, but I'd always believed they were Jumbos!

• Like 1

More Wibbles to come!

As well as working on the 812 Tender, Also working on a few commissions.

Here's the USA 1969 Scotty progress, ultimately doing it as the client wants a H0 model but it's agreed to release things in 4mm too.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1puzgvf.jpg

BLKNiqT.jpg

34Aas0t.jpg

d2groap.jpg

Can't always do it as I find uploading via mobile a swine.  Twitter link is just 20 times easier!

Was saying on Twitter some details are missing, need changing or a bit thick for printing etc as it is still a work in progress at the moment.

Will do pics for the 812 tender progress later.

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sparkshotcustomcreationsscc?section=3.5mm+H0+Flying+Scotsman+1969+%26+Tenders&s=0

Boom, yup.  3.5mm H0 Scotty is released.  4mm one following in a day or two once everything is uploaded.

On the Photon can print everything bar the loco bodies at around 50% of the price although I haven't yet calculated the costs exactly but roughly that.

Loco bodies are a Shapeways only purchase currently due to the Photon being a smaller machine.  Will be buying a 2nd one soon.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sparkshotcustomcreationsscc?section=4mm+Flying+Scotsman+1969+%26+Tenders&s=0

-

Right, now where is that 812 tender I was working on...and the 2-4-0 Victoria, and the...and the......Yeah.....

Need 20 hands.  :D

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a wee update, still around!   My online presence in various places has been low lately.

812 tender progress has been super slow as I've been working on commissions for others (still am) although progress is being made still....

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 13/10/2019 at 17:28, Caley 439 said:

001.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

Marvellous model! It looks like a Hornby model from the 2000s.

On 03/12/2019 at 04:48, Knuckles said:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sparkshotcustomcreationsscc?section=3.5mm+H0+Flying+Scotsman+1969+%26+Tenders&s=0

Boom, yup.  3.5mm H0 Scotty is released.  4mm one following in a day or two once everything is uploaded.

On the Photon can print everything bar the loco bodies at around 50% of the price although I haven't yet calculated the costs exactly but roughly that.

Loco bodies are a Shapeways only purchase currently due to the Photon being a smaller machine.  Will be buying a 2nd one soon.

It has to be asked-would it take much work to turn this into the 1988/89 Australia trip version of Scotsman? Whilst the PSM model does exist in HO, these are hard to find and not cheap (guess how I know....), and I'm sure a few down here would be interested in it.

What chassis would it take?

For H0 chassis I can't advise as the whole project was done by modifying then rescaling the existing range with the understanding that a chassis can be sourced or made later.

What are the main differences of the Australia version bar the long bowser type tender?

• Like 2

On 02/02/2020 at 03:11, Knuckles said:

For H0 chassis I can't advise as the whole project was done by modifying then rescaling the existing range with the understanding that a chassis can be sourced or made later.

What are the main differences of the Australia version bar the long bowser type tender?

That’s fair enough about the chassis. I’m sure something could be developed that would be suitable for use. 

The main differences primarily come down to the condition of the locomotive at the time (Dia. 107 boiler etc.). The long bowser type tender is merely what we call a water gin, and was attached/detached as needed for extra water. That’s already available in HO.

Now if a HO 4079 was to come along, there’d be a few happy blokes in WA

• Like 1