Warren Lane (formally The Layout Formally Known as Warren Lane, and Wulfruna) again...

Satan's Goldfish

Kadees for the outers:

post-9147-0-53701200-1515266848_thumb.jpg

Head stocks for the inners (with modified tension-lock couplings as the buffers made it too long to use the original bar-coupling)

post-9147-0-94636100-1515266895_thumb.jpg

Tested shoving it around a 3rd radius S bend, just avoids buffer-lock. But that's a worse scenario than it'll ever have on the layout. No issues following the radius of the inner end-curve:

post-9147-0-11702300-1515266979_thumb.jpg

Just need new deck tops now :) ..... and maybe some cross braces where the added extensions bits are...

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I know I don't post here as often as I should, for that I apologise, but steps are underway to make a fully setup permanent home for the layout. This should make working on it and photos much easier, but does involve moving house and I'm pretty sure Mrs SG will want me to do some decorating first :( (last time i bought a house it was so i could build i giant tropical pond, this time it's so i can keep the layout fully set up. Good to see i have my priorities in order!)

I started taking apart the big curved end boards and trolleys at the weekend as they have now been replaced by custom Tim Horn curves. Creates more working space in the garage too :)

Also realised (again) that the fiddle yard was still more complicated than it needs to be; as there's due to be sensors to automatically move trains forward then it just needs to be 4 long loops in each direction, no crossovers in the middle. That simplifies the wiring so much that I can reuse the original control panel I built for Alan several years ago. Which is nice.

Finally, sorting through boxing up stock ready for house move, I found a mk1 Intercity buffet which I bought second-hand and has me a touch confused (below). The chassis says Hornby and it has long bolts through the middle to hold on the roof as Hornby's do. The sides however are much finer detailed than another Hornby buffet which I turned into NSE livery, and the Intercity livery doesn't match any other Hornby buffets I've seen. Is this one that somebody else has very expertly detailed and resprayed? Or are they sides from a different brand buffet that have been grafted onto a Hornby chassis?

post-9147-0-45386000-1524586133_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-12974400-1524586165_thumb.jpg

Thanks

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Layout is currently in storage with Tim Horn as we moved house earlier in the year. I have domestic approval for a mahoosive man-shed in the garden which will fit the layout permanently setup in its full round mode, plus extra space for other layouts and workshop. Certain domestic DIY tasks have had to be done first to keep Mrs SG happy, but ground clearance for the shed has started, plus building a big side gate for digger access etc, so there is progress... just not obvious layout progress! At least we don't need to worry about moving house ever again now so there is a proper plan for the layouts future :)

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

I know I suck at updates, but a question; would it work if the 4mm OO containers along the back scene were replaced with 3.5mm HO containers? Add a little viewing perspective to make the layout look deeper... just a thought...

I don't see why not. the difference isn't that great - as long as the HO & OO containers aren't stacked next to each other I doubt many would notice. (I bought some containers cehap and it was only when I got home I realised they they HO...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

I know I suck at updates, but a question; would it work if the 4mm OO containers along the back scene were replaced with 3.5mm HO containers? Add a little viewing perspective to make the layout look deeper... just a thought...

Using a bit of forced perspective is not a bad idea, particularly with it being such a subtle difference at first glance-gradual changing for forced perspective can work a lot better than, say, forcing it from 'OO' to 'TT' in a short space.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 24/04/2018 at 17:19, Satan's Goldfish said:

Finally, sorting through boxing up stock ready for house move, I found a mk1 Intercity buffet which I bought second-hand and has me a touch confused (below). The chassis says Hornby and it has long bolts through the middle to hold on the roof as Hornby's do. The sides however are much finer detailed than another Hornby buffet which I turned into NSE livery, and the Intercity livery doesn't match any other Hornby buffets I've seen. Is this one that somebody else has very expertly detailed and resprayed? Or are they sides from a different brand buffet that have been grafted onto a Hornby chassis?

post-9147-0-45386000-1524586133_thumb.jpg

Seems no-one ever answered this for you; actually it really is a Hornby RMB, I have an identical one.  The finer detail is deceptive, I think it is the same model as the 1970s version but perhaps with the paint guide line removed.   It was one of the few models of a catering vehicle from that era that actually had a correct roof.

The better wheels, oval buffers and infinitely better paint job also give a good impression, even though the old underframe still puts the bogies about 2' too far apart.

• Informative/Useful 2

A progress report!

Behold the devastation that is ground clerance for the layouts new home. The 'flower bed' was full of all the trees and bushes now stacked at the back (waiting for a garden shredder to be dropped off). The extent of the workshop is from roughly where the picture is taken back to the big tree in front of the wall, to the string on ground to the left, and about 2 feet in from the fence on the right. With the bed now cleared, digging and levelling can start for the concrete slab.

20190409_151229.jpg.897d0ecdae53289146e269b3a1f8b8f7.jpg

Once the slab is down, shed building materials will be ordered. It's a design which I can build all the frame work for in modules on my own, the whole thing should then go together and be weather proof in the space of a weekend, interior fit out can then be done slow time.

Progress :)

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 22:29, Northmoor said:

Seems no-one ever answered this for you; actually it really is a Hornby RMB, I have an identical one.  The finer detail is deceptive, I think it is the same model as the 1970s version but perhaps with the paint guide line removed.   It was one of the few models of a catering vehicle from that era that actually had a correct roof.

The better wheels, oval buffers and infinitely better paint job also give a good impression, even though the old underframe still puts the bogies about 2' too far apart.

Is it the one Hornby issued to commemorate the last Mk1 in frontline service - which was a buffet in one of the Norwich sets?

• Like 2

I think (I may be wrong) that would have been the version without 'intercity' written on and was labelled as an Anglia coach on the box. It was not as good as the version I was querying, window frames abnormally thick and needed a lot of filling down (I had one, repainted it into NSE livery)

• Like 1

Quick update while I'm here; ground clearance continues, still lots of soil to dig out for the base but the recent good weather has seen lots of progress. All the turf was relaid in the front garden so that ate into the time a little. There is a dead line of the start of August to have the workshop built, design is finalised and there's no urgent domestic DIY to slow me down at the moment.

20190419_171255.jpg.1a6ee9b1aca42bcc7778b10ae3993ea7.jpg

20190419_171339.jpg.c9aff6e5452c0abd97eeade265be1b10.jpg

Would have been so much easier if the garden was flat!

• Like 5

Just once I'd like something to go smoothly. This was the state of the shed base dig at the end of yesterday, nice and simple just a couple of mounds left to clear:

20190423_151451.jpg.83286a3c95a9e16e2efe5a20be013467.jpg

20190423_151333.jpg.3fba9fa36fc52df89f366d6981d17403.jpg

And this is it this morning. One of those mounds was hiding something :(

20190424_085800.jpg.f51799063c82a77a3bbfca1b3d7fb6b4.jpg

So yet more to sort and clear now, thanks universe.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Fortunately, no bodies were found, but there were a couple more big bits of concrete found hiding under them. The 'Train Shed' should be more than big enough to work as a fully set up home for this layout, ready to run storage space for G garden railway, and still have lots of space left for smaller layouts and workshop bits. I will finally be able to make as much mess as I like without Mrs SG complaining :)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

A day later than planned, step 1 was completed :)

20190516_140036.jpg.586d58674fa5e5ad8a3a9c1acc30ec40.jpg

20190516_140112.jpg.9c35590860c5f3a8601fa1ca8d3703c7.jpg

Step 2 is getting wooden frame work up. It's all ready to be cut and put together (picking up nail gun tomorrow, A&E are on standby)

20190513_122315.jpg.50e247c3c3bf997929ba87084bac0b5a.jpg

Step 3 is cladding and getting it weather proof, I've got until the end of July for that really so it's looking good that all will be done in time and the layout formally known as Warren Lane will be set up in August. 

Step 4 is fitting out the inside and insulation, no deadline for that though so not as much pressure until I start complaining it's cold in winter...

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, GWRPhil said:

That’s a fair few to paint. Like the load haul/colas orange. So are the joists going to be colas yellow?

No, that's just a coincidence that the previous owner left a pot of wood treatment in that colour laying around. At some point I might get around to giving it all a coat of white paint, but it's not high on the agenda.

Concrete block laying finally happened this morning. Wooden frame work will go up Wednesday/Thursday.

20190624_130308.jpg.fa31f2b0cf23210c6de5a84372c11ddf.jpg

All this work to be able to play trains!!!

Edited by Satan's Goldfish
  • Like 5