Cwmhir - The camera never lies

Darwinian

“Cardiff” is I think on the HMRS sheets. “Cathays” was cut and shut from some older sheets using letters from same sized “English” locations. It’s really slightly oversized but better than I could hand letter . It’s not quite so evenly spaced on ‘tother side as I did that first .

• RMweb Gold

This  is a really nice looking layout and being set in South Wales it has that extra appeal to me and it is nice to see the different levels. Out of interest, how do you deal with the loads in the wagons? For my Llanforen layout I have made removable loads for both coal and pit props.

Keep up the good work.

Brian

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, 88C said:

Out of interest, how do you deal with the loads in the wagons? For my Llanforen layout I have made removable loads for both coal and pit props.

Keep up the good work.

Brian

I too have removable loads. Coal is set on a base made from plasticard that tips when pressed at an end. I need to make up some pit prop loads too.

On 09/09/2019 at 12:11, ianwales said:

Reminds me of a Welsh layout that appeared in the Constructor many years ago which had a 2 platform terminus and colliery exchange sidings on a higher level, but, I can't seem to recall the name.

Ian

It was built by North Gwent Railway Modellers, based upon Blaenavon LL, RM, May 1987, Blaenycwm. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I decided the trees I made last year really were not up to it. They looked too solid, the horsehair twig material was too light a colour and bits kept falling off all the time so this week I scrapped them. It was easy to recover most of the foliage material (Woodland scenics underbrush) and the armatures were then cleaned up.

I'm much happier with mark two approach. These use foliage mat applied in teased out lumps directly to the armature branches. Although I have a Botany qualification I haven't attempted to represent specific tree types just the impression I get from staring at lots of groups of trees while out walking our dog.

1366116173_Copse1s.jpg.2780a7b47f3bcf8aa758e00dc5e63ddb.jpg116501666_Copse2s.jpg.ac0cb8b20cfd49655e57ab3f307eb931.jpg

Just for the record, the armatures were sprayed in a light grey/olive green/burnt umber mix slightly varying the proportions, then the branch ends were lightly oversprayed with burnt umber to give some contrast to the trunks. The tree on the left uses Woodland Scenics foliage mat the others Footpath Models (from Model scenery Supplies). I'll go back to them in a day or two and fill out some of the larger gaps (especially on the tree 2nd from right) once I've had time to evaluate how much more to do. The bases of the trunks need bedding into the landscape too, then I'll have to do the understory vegetation and paint the backscene behind to make the copse appear to have some depth. The bare branches are the top of another tree yet to be foliaged (did I just invent that word?).

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/09/2019 at 17:45, philip-griffiths said:

It was built by North Gwent Railway Modellers, based upon Blaenavon LL, RM, May 1987, Blaenycwm. 

I operated it at a show once; North Gwent were notorious for roping you in and disappearing in the direction of the bar.  You had to drive carefully to avoid slipping with the empties on the steep bank that accessed the colliery exchange sidings, and take just as much care on the descent with the loaded with flywheel equipped 42xx; very realistic valleys incline working!

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

On 11/09/2019 at 17:45, philip-griffiths said:

I was not aware of that layout, probably not least because I haven't lived in S.Wales since 1981, it sounds very interesting. If anyone has any pictures feel free to post them on this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing with my newly installed lighting. Not quite right but a bit of fun.

Carriages stand awaiting the last departure of the day.

749380116_Cwmhirdarkness1b.jpg.1b9e2befa5aafb0ce92f22be1514197e.jpg

Fireman hasn't put the lamp on the bunker yet so not leaving just yet.

401447654_Cwmhirdarkness4b.jpg.f9a7fc051e64c7186776ce2961c483a6.jpg

Signalman is still here though the box lamps are on.

44311175_Cwmhirdarkness5b.jpg.1b0c4fb9043aa48cacc799be6e8f3c89.jpg

Edited by Darwinian
Forgot images... oops.
  • Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

Small structures being built. First up is the decency screen to go at the “gentleman’s” end of the station building. The ratio kit has a cast concrete job, not the thing at all. This one is modelled on Bargoed using Wills sheet. The top capping needs fettling once the poly dries overnight.

A8D4C4B9-3232-47A8-A600-4229231EE5BA.jpeg.36e1dd8b1890c94eb7e0fffeb2dec659.jpegNext is a platelayers’ hut to go next to the signal box. This is a freelance design to fit the space. Moulded timber boarding  from local model shop (HO actually) and scalescenes brick left over from a test print for my Iard Fer micro.

C778AA8E-03C5-4EDA-A353-02E78B2DB232.jpeg.c5f98a516655ec5eb78b42416a1b2b6a.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...

After some 7+ years I'm finally getting around to building my Martin Finney Aberdare kit.

I decided to start with the tender as it's a while since I built one of these kits. Following discussion of how to get the 3000gal Dean tender around 00 3rd radius curves I've narrowed the well tank by approx. 2mm by removing the sides and filing back the centre of the box by 1mm each side. Wheels are Gibson and have been shorted out one side for "American" style pick up.

Over the last few days I've assembled the basic chassis and body.

I added hole to the body footplate to allow the chassis to remain bolted together until I paint it so that I can paint it as sub-assemblies and so get behind the wheels.

Progress to date :

Dean 3000 gal pt2.JPG

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Time for an update. I've been concentrating on two projects although both have been 2 steps forward 1 back progress.

First here is the Cwmhir good shed now with roof that fits and barge/eaves boards and gutters. It's an adaptation of the Abbotsbury shed.

570153627_Cwmhirgoodsshedbuildfeb20.JPG.9f4b3acc4bfedecc55f65780f0517629.JPG

Also most of the sub assemblies for the Dean 3000gal tender for the Aberdare are now built up. My intention is to largely paint the underframe whilst in sub assemblies and then bolt it all together trapping in the brake gear in the process.  Having lost one tank vent I bodged another from brass tube sections and a 10ba. washer.

1448071945_3000gTendersubs(1).JPG.2beed44ba8fed31251edfff82a1ac71d.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

3000g Tender tribulations:

I am really not sure if I've done this right the instructions are very vague and what pictures I can find  not much better. Getting the outrigger handrail/stanchions square and attached to upright brake standards with the little brackets was a right pain. This is the best I've managed to do.

3000g_Tender_loco_end.JPG

3000g Tender tank front.JPG

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1611162894_3000gTenderlocoend2.JPG.d1cfccfff7c5e862b86674c46b0f80d3.JPGA bit more fettling, cursing and soldering and the body of the tender has actually turned out OK.

I soldered most of it together but superglued the sandbox filler cap and injector handles because they were just too delicate and fiddly to get at. Once coaled up I think this will pass muster. I don't think I could have done it much better. I have left off the tank vents and tool boxes until after it's painted.

1919619110_3000gTenederrear.JPG.cc8b21e4feee236754458d4c27b5bd41.JPG

Now onto the loco although I've decided to build it compensated rather than sprung as in 00 there is not enough space between the frames for the Loadhauler+ gearbox and CSB hornguides.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 01/02/2017 at 21:28, Darwinian said:

So a lighting rig is now attached to the layout and the other half of the backdrop hillside given some basic scenic work. I am pleased with the way the LED lights look. The lightweight construction with timber and foam board seems to work although I do wonder if the horizontal battens won't sag over time. The lighting pelmet will have a central raised area carrying the layout name which will be held by velcro across the join so hiding it and keeping the two halves in alignment. The velcro is just about strong enough to hold the pelemts up although they do hang at a slight angle. I had to superglue the self adhesive velcro to the wooden battens as the glue on it would not hold firmly enough on its own.

Front view of layout:

post-9629-0-07970800-1485984277_thumb.jpg

From behind showing the lighting supports:

post-9629-0-07767700-1485984291_thumb.jpg

The station area lit by the lighting unit alone:

post-9629-0-33898100-1485984318_thumb.jpg

As you can see I decided to bodge the error on the goods shed doors. The main carcass is now assembled but there is still a lot to do.

Your layout looks amazing!

Very impressed!

What lights are these?  

They work very very well and I’m interested for my Stranraer layout.

best

Dan 

• Like 2