Bachmann 3F tender loco query/fault

great central

I'm hoping the collective knowledge here can help. I have a Bachmann 3F which I bought from a deceased estate so don't unfortunately know it's history or where it was bought.

Having bought several locos from the same source, all chipped and working, the 3F does nothing. Even trying to interrogate the chip reveals nothing. Having dismantled the tender, it seems that one of the little metal 'fingers' that should be inserted into the socket is actually on the outside (it appears to be pin 1) This, I presume, is a manufacturing fault? That being the case I think I need to speak to Bachmann!

Then there's the installed chip, the brand appears to be 'Soundtraxx'? Does that mean it's actually a sound chip, there's no speaker installed but if the previous owner hadn't been able to get the loco to work, may not have gone any further?

Any help gratefully received, this is a very new field to me, I'm only going down this route because I got several locos at a bargain price from the same source, of course I could just rewire the loco for straight DC operation.

Soundtraxx do make sound chips, though they are US sounds (recent announcement by Soundtraxx of entering UK market have been made).

But, they also manufacture non-sound "normal" chips.  These are available both under their own brand, and under Bachmann's UK brand (where they will identify as made by Soundtraxx).   So, odds on, its just a Bachmann branded ordinary decoder.    It should work, but its nothing special.

Is the fault as simple as "chip plugged in wrongly" ?  ie. moving the chip to the correct orientation will correct things ?   Or, even, its the "wrong chip plug" which someone has somehow forced into the wrong shape of socket ? 

- Nigel

Thanks for the quick reply Nigel, as you say probably just a Bachmann chip, there were some still in their packing if I recall correctly.

The 'pin' sticking out is beside the mount on the tender PCB, which the chip plugs into. I would post a picture but my phone won't focus down to the size required.

it seems that one of the little metal 'fingers' that should be inserted into the socket is actually on the outside (it appears to be pin 1)

Certainly won't work with Pin 1 disconnected. Suggest you remove it from the socket, straighten up the pin(s) carefully then re-insert it.

Regards

Thanks Grosvenor, you've confirmed my suspicion. Not that simple to rectify though, it's the pin attached to the PCB, I presume when they're made the pins all stick up and have the 'shroud' fitted over the top then fastened down to the PCB. This one has escaped at manufacture. I've just tried it on dc with the blanking plug in, still nothing. Must have been faulty from the start. Simplest thing is to rewire for dc only, but I'll give it some thought first.

Thanks but the problem isn't with the decoder, it's the male plug mounted on the PCB that the decoder fits onto. I now know that pin 1 is an essential so need to decide whether to get in touch with Bachmann about it or just cut the wires and set up for dc only. DCC is very much a fringe interest having bought a Hornby TTS 37 and, at the moment borrowed the club controller.

Thanks to everyone, although I can't explain the problem without a photo, I know that it's a manufacturing fault. In time the loco will be renumbered and weathered so I'll modify the wiring at the same time to just DC. The thing is that it has obviously been faulty from new and never tested! That will also do away with the annoying little plug under the tender.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if you have made the same assumption as me. I thought that the pin was bent, but the original poster didn't actually say that. The problem was quoted as being a pin outside the decoder. That may be why the installation is described as faulty rather than damaged.

Sorry to keep labouring the point but when I get home and some batteries for my camera, I'll post a photo. For getting on 30 years of my life, I have been involved with electrical stuff including PCBs so although not down to component level, I can tell if something isn't put together right. Thanks once again for the replies, I was more interested in the decoder, but also whether this manufacturing fault would stop the loco working as I know that many of the pins are unused.

• 3 years later...

Having just switched to DCC, its my 3F's turn for a decoder.  But how do I get the tender top off?  I have removed the two screws as indicated on the 'exploded' diagram and this releases the rear of the tender but lifting it as much as I dare, the front wont move and looks as if the brake gear / handrails will break off if I try to lever it anymore.  Any suggestions?

Martin

The couple I have tackled were early releases, and I had the very same problem. Something broke off at the front - I think the front platform with the handrails and brake standard on it, but it cemented back on with nothing to show - to release the tender top. Cement it back on after the tender top is back on obviously. Not exactly ideal, but it is a very attractive model.