tta fuel tank on other block working - Now with related fueling point question!

Satan's Goldfish

Worst title description ever!

Are there any examples of tta fuel tanks (diesel for locos) being added to a 'train load freight' service that isn't fuel to get it where it needs to go rather than an individual trip working or running in a speedlink services?

I hope that makes sense!

Edit: See page 2 for fueling point track arangement question.

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

Sorry I was being too brief - the "when" was directed at the original question. What time period are you looking at.

Any involving TTA for fuel will do. A prototype for everything and all that! 85 to 99 ideal but I'm easy. It's just a bit of a stretch for my rule 1 if it never happened anywhere at all ever.

6V62, the Tavy Tanks as we knew it, was a service from Fawley to Tavistock Junction that ran for many years. certainly starting in the 1980s.

It conveyed bitumen tanks for Cattewater as well as the fuel TTAs for, at various times, Eastleigh, Bath Road/St Phillps Marsh, Exeter St Davids, Laira, St Blazey and Penzance,

The return working 6O34 with discharged tanks came back at night so was rarely photographed,

6V62 is seen here in 2008, but change the 66 for a 47 and the picture could have been taken in 1988

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lickeybanker/6497837995/in/photolist-oPzzAM-6Cqcuq-ncszkz-sbDVF4-aUc7Rz-uj8sxM

edit  here it is in 1996 with a 37

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eagle50043/5978298850/in/photolist-a7hkY7-ojtNmP-2QwfL4-pQp337-9AydBq-9y9A17-cRGAmu-9oFxD9-8cypHy-8JRaV7-ekcD9Z-s7hn8r-jFQE4W-9qKCvL-efs86i-7ULQ9s-h8gSrg-cooGTw-oGhAfX-oCEUkq-omdxBX-h8ifFT-ojukhe-p3EJMg-h5ZW4a-sbDVF4-uj8sxM-6x771L-dP3HXe-cnSZRA-8Bmb3J-dceX7W-qUxpic-5NekRf-nzoJNe-qX43qP-fk1zw5-tJQaXB-9FfsTD-9FfsWr-9DQn6g-9uri9S-bWAW8H-rs8vw5-h67jJC-cJohMN-8io17s-7bezjb-dat58M-8BQ9WA

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 1

TTA's were regularly conveyed on the Didcot to Mossend wagonload service, which comprises mainly automotive traffic and a few MOD bits and pieces. I believe they were running from Fawley to Peak Forest. I'm not sure how they did the final part of the journey.

Does anyone know if this flow still runs? I suspect not.

I thought I had photos of TTAs in the Tonbridge-Hoo Jn mostly-departmental freight in the 1980s, but can't find the photo right now. Sure I posted it on here somewhere. Can't be sure if it was loco fuel though.

Here is the Tonbridge - Hoo service in 1989 behind a 73 with TTAs from Ashford Chart Leacon in the formation

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36034969@N08/6492531487/in/photolist-aTHVq4-qkjUW5-qaGiDW-qnqUca-r7GUKt-zA45gS-oeB3Db-b7dnRa-r6WzW3-9RBFEd-seLdNC-q2rW2f-6JE2Zk-eeoWib-qeA41f-e73xrN-b9FVJc-aSEVPt-pMstVS-p84fUw-pwCZ7D-nB8TUw-p315CS-q2KkCj-rCBRRH-rCX64X-pUrBa4-e6WSnV-qAPcTg-pqRhZP-q6c5Ke-qQW7eN-uvw8Nh-pFpAaz-bvy3cK-qtvvGq-phAY3T-dqhTZW-dHifHL-rCsBW3-poVd9X-pd3WSi-qQfc1D-e4aQL4-rAgLaq-rm11au-rkZ9Bj-rCyipz-qM4Kx9-qFXmc1

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Stating the obvious perhaps? Why does it have to be a tail load to a block train? Speedlink lasted into the 90s (just but like you said rule 1) so you could run them as a short train, with perhaps a van or a flat etc, maybe even running them on their own either as a Speedlink (Enterprise later) or yard trip. Again rule 1 can always come into play.

Cheers

Griff

It comes down to availability of space and operational options in a model format. In an ideal world they would be their own trip work or delivered by speedlink (I do like me some speedlink). Tacked onto 'Trainload Freight' is the only available space if a couple were to appear. The tanks on the Harwich intermodal are the perfect prototype excuse for me, right region, right trainload freight. Following that piece of usefulness, if there was any similar services out there was just out of curiosity really.

Cheers

A string of TTA's.  Not in fuel traffic by the look of the dark staining on the barrels.  They have just pushed out of Dover Town Yard and are heading off for Dover Priory, then probably to Hoo Junction.  Probably fuel oil for the ferries, unloaded in Bulwark Sidings.

post-2484-0-08519700-1450951515.jpg

Fuel for locos arrived in normal Speedlink services, then tripped to Bulwark, the Dover Town Fuel Point, Chart Leacon.  Not quite sure of the routing to Canterbury West.

• Like 2

A string of TTA's.  Not in fuel traffic by the look of the dark staining on the barrels.  They have just pushed out of Dover Town Yard and are heading off for Dover Priory, then probably to Hoo Junction.  Probably fuel oil for the ferries, unloaded in Bulwark Sidings.

attachicon.gif10085396014_e249428c2b_z.jpg

Fuel for locos arrived in normal Speedlink services, then tripped to Bulwark, the Dover Town Fuel Point, Chart Leacon.  Not quite sure of the routing to Canterbury West.

Happy Christmas, Ernie. Didn't the Canterbury West tanks work to Tonbridge West yard, where the train was divided into two portions; one for Canterbury, the other for High Brooms? Or am I confusing model and prototype?

Happy Christmas, Ernie. Didn't the Canterbury West tanks work to Tonbridge West yard, where the train was divided into two portions; one for Canterbury, the other for High Brooms? Or am I confusing model and prototype?

I think it was a Y service and ran to either as traffic permitted

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

TTAs (for Bescot, I assume) are/were included in the 6M99 train from Immingham to Wolverhampton steel terminal from time to time:

https://flic.kr/p/oyZ6bN

https://flic.kr/p/5fhXJD

I am not sure how often this happens, or whether it was for a limited period only, but a flickr search throws up plenty of pics.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi there,

TTAs (for Bescot, I assume) are/were included in the 6M99 train from Immingham to Wolverhampton steel terminal from time to time:

https://flic.kr/p/oyZ6bN

https://flic.kr/p/5fhXJD

I am not sure how often this happens, or whether it was for a limited period only, but a flickr search throws up plenty of pics.

cheers

Ben A.

It was a regular booked move for a few years. It doesn't happen these days, the vast majority of TGO moves by road now. I think only Neville Hill and Ipswich still take their fuel in by rail.