The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Proposed New Layout - in The Forest!

• RMweb Gold

The building at Parkend is a complete new build, the signal box is relocated but I can not tell you from where I'm afraid, the bridge and goods shed are original. On a similar note, the crossing gates were replaced last week for the first time in 10 years!

• 4 weeks later...

After all the above, lots of time building pointwork and buildings and the spending of a considerable amount of cash on stock and electrics I have made the sad decision to pull the plug on this.  I am/was building it in our clubroom (something I have avoided doing for 40+ years!) and my fears have sadly been confirmed.  It is (for me at any rate) very difficult to model outside the home environment where everything (materials, tools, tea etc.) is to hand - and there are also no other attention grabbing distractions.  Out of a potential 2/3 hours on a Monday and possibly 2 on a Friday I reckon that at the very most, 30 - 45 minutes modelling time per week has occurred.  Add to this the frustration when I discover that I have left some small but vital tool or similar at home (more frequent than you might think!) which, if working at home I would just turn round and pick up,  then you may see where I am coming from.  Currently I do not have the space to continue with the project at home.  If I had solely worked on it here I am sure it would be far further on and more regular progress reports would have been forthcoming.

Thankfully the fiddle yards boards have not been started so there is less to dispose of.  If anyone is interested in taking it on then please let me know by PM.  I will happily pass on (for a suitable beer voucher consideration) the boards, pointwork, buildings, etc - even the steel folding support trestles as again, the space I have to store them is limited.

Many thanks for the support and interest shown over the past months.

• RMweb Gold

Very sorry to hear of this, Paul. I'd be extremely tempted to make you an offer were it not for the fact that (a) I have similar space limitations at the moment and (b) I also have started a small P4 FoD layout based on Travellers Rest (although it will be a while before any further work is done on it).

Archived