Ellesmere

rhyd-y-clafdy

Its been quiet at Ellesmere for quite a while, however, there is an addition to the coaching stock!

W6820W of lot 1550 was an autocoach built by the GWR built in 1936.  Essentially, a Diagram E147 Brake Composite (half a B set) with a drivers compartment at the Brake end.  Driver's access was via the Guards compartment. Photographic evidence in books shows at least 2 of these vehicles in use at Oswestry, often used as strengtheners on the Oswestry-Gobowen auto train. There are also photos and video of one in use on the Ellesmere-Wrexham auto train, either singly or as a strengthener.

To produce this model I used the Comet (W80) Diagram A44 kit which was a brake second trailer apparently converted from Diagram D117 non corridor brake 3rd in the early 1950s by BR for work initially in South Wales! I used Comet's E147 (W51) sides to make the brake composite.  The only info and detailed photos I could find are in J H Russell's GWR coaches. 

Not experienced in making Comet coaches this has been quite a mission with many tribulations on the way and there are some errors. The most obvious one is the driver's window which was smaller in height (2mm I think) on the Composite. Also the Comet etch for the drivers end is the wrong way round, a mirror image.  I suppose I could have reversed it but didn't and will have to live with it!  I had to cut my own drivers windows out of the sides (not easy for me) and apparently the bogie centres were moved inwards from 41'6" to 38'. I had to compromise on this because they were fouling the trusses on the underframe so I split the difference at 39'9"!  I also made a complete botch of applying varnish and had to strip all the paint and transfers off and start again.  Glazing was also an issue with so many door handles and grab rails close to windows hence the need to redo the drivers window at some point!

However I'm looking forward to seeing this on the layout (hoping the overwidth cosmetic bogie sides don't hit the ground signals.

Anyway, all will be revealed at Wakefield exhibition, November 15/16/17, where I hope Ellesmere functions well after 6 months storage in the garage!

autocoach.jpg

• Like 3

Hi guys,

I really like this conversion. I makes something very different looking from the usual GWR auto trailer. 

Here's my version of the same driving trailer in 0 gauge. I had spotted a Westdale kit for 1 B set coach on Ebay which was on for a very low price, understandable as who would be daft enough to buy half a B set ? I got it very cheaply and converted it into the driving trailer the same way that the GWR did their conversion ie cut a window in the end, scratch built and add the various extra's and moved the bogies further towards the centre of the coach. 

I chickened out of doing the lining for the paint job! Well done with yours , it looks great.RIMG0269.JPG.1daa463bac9af2465e3d03b9dca11080.JPG 

Ian

• Like 3

Hi Ian

That looks really good. I wonder how many other people have produced the same coach. I noticed a while back a thread on building the Comet A44 kit which might be useful to people.

I notice you have painted the bar across the driver's window cream. I've left it off because I couldn't decide on the colour and was leaving it out until I redo the drivers window.

Thanks for the interest and comments.

Phil

• 7 months later...

7405 is back from the cleaners, having spent Lock Down at Steve's Grimey Times. 7405 spent time at both Oswestry and Machynlleth sheds.  There are photos of it at Ellesmere and there is a photo of it on the auto train (I think in the book on the Ellesmere-Wrexham line).  Not being auto fitted I assume it had to run round. A must to be included in the operating sequence.

The photo shows 7405 on the baseboards of Rhyd-y-Clafdy (a bit of the back scene in the background).  Rhyd-y-Clafdy is being re-visit-ed having been in store for the last few years. It is being completely rebuilt to live permanently in my garage for me to play with. I'm not sure I can write about this under the heading "Modelling Real Locations".  It is a real location but the railway is a definite "Might have been". The Cambrian submitted plans to Parliament for an extension from Pwllheli to Porth Dinllaen in 1870 and 1880. The plans are to be found at the Welsh National Library in Aberystwyth, as also is Brunel's plan for a railway to Porth Dinllaen.

Perhaps I need to start a new thread on that.

Ellesmere has spent Lock Down locked down at a friends house in Crewe, he has had fun operating it although with some very dubious stock at times. It was booked for Warrington and Gaydon exhibitions this Autumn but we'll have to wait and see if they take place.

22FC5FC6-ADBA-49CE-8D67-B020DDC24929.jpg

• Like 3