Ellesmere

rhyd-y-clafdy

Glad to see your getting through the snagging list . With reference to a cattle market .... Oswestry has just recently been flattened but the small set up that's been closed for some time at Corwen still stands, it's at the back of Ifor Williams sales at the old Corwen station. If you go to where the new station is being built and turn left by where the bridge use to be and walk up the track you can see the old cattle market in front of you. Hope it's of some use speak soon 

Martin

Glad to see your getting through the snagging list . With reference to a cattle market .... Oswestry has just recently been flattened but the small set up that's been closed for some time at Corwen still stands, it's at the back of Ifor Williams sales at the old Corwen station. If you go to where the new station is being built and turn left by where the bridge use to be and walk up the track you can see the old cattle market in front of you. Hope it's of some use speak soon 

Martin

Thanks Martin.  I'll check that out.  I'm at the raIlway on Saturday.

Cheers

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So! Article in October BRM and exhibitions in October at Wigan and Peterborough. No pressure then!!! On the positive side freight stock now has a supply of Spratt and Winkle couplings but they have not been tested on the layout yet. And! We have working signals  (4 of them) thanks to Megapoints. I finally got it sussed after some tribulations with faulty regulated transformers. 2 of the signals work well although I still have to investigate the bounce feature. The bracket signal was more of a problem and doesn't work as smoothly as i'd like and the arms don't drop as far as i'd like, but that is down to my iffy workmanship with the cranks, balance weight levers and operating wires which I struggled with when I made the signal.  

Onwards and upwards with the back scene then. I'm thinking about cobbling something out of a couple of the ID Backscenes with bits of Ellesmere stuck on top.  Took a load more photos a few weeks ago but I haven't played with them yet. Photoshop is beyond me so we might have to put up with modern lamp posts and traffic signs for the time being.

I'm always looking for operators for exhibitions if anyone knows anyone who can put up with my operating regime - The sequence!!!!!!

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

Outstanding layout.

Would it be possible to see a trackplan? and also what are the dimensions of the layout please?

Keep up the good work!

Thank you for that kind comment! Much appreciated.

The track plan in the October BRM is pretty accurate. There's also a good plan in Derek Lowes 'Cambrian main line' book. The scenic bit is 16' x 3' widening to 4' at one end where the cattle market was! There are 2 x 5' storage yards at either end.

So Wigan next weekend!

Afraid there still won't be a back scene although I bought a couple of ID Backscenes from the 'into the town' set which I will probably use as a basis and hopefully stick bits of Ellesmere on top, notable Grange Road, the cattle market, Elson Road and the school.

Managed to get 2 signals to bounce a bit but didn't try with the bracket - (there is too much slop in the operating wires and cranks).

The Sprat and Winkle couplings appear to work and I have spread magnets (the neodymium type - 3mm x 2mm off Amazon) like confetti in all the places I think they will be useful. Thus some of the electro magnets are now redundant. It didn't occur to me that I would need 2 magnets at each location however.  Pretty obvious really there are 2 couplings to disconnect. Some people do S & Ws handed (kind of male-female)  each vehicle having S & W at one end and just a bar across at the other end. but we have to run round wagons and Brake vans so that wouldn't work of course.

I stuck a bit of track and a couple of magnets down with double sided tape for a trial run. When I tried to sink the magnets level with the top of the cork/ballast I find them a bit weak so they do stick up somewhat proud of the track bed.  I slopped a wash of Sleeper grime over them to tone them down and whilst they are visible they are not as ugly as the Kadee uncouplers. Have a look!

Notice I did have to do a bit of hacking and bending  to stop the couplings catching on the wheels and axles on the Bachmann wagons.

Lets see how it all works next weekend!

post-14175-0-52195900-1474817341_thumb.jpg

post-14175-0-13934300-1474817385_thumb.jpg

post-14175-0-63320600-1474817402_thumb.jpg

post-14175-0-81791300-1474817411_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Peterboro' yesterday to see Ellesmere & wasn't disappointed, a very convincing layout - spacious & uncluttered - & definitely the Best in Show for me. Sadly the running left a bit to be desired - first day gremlins I hope.

Martin

Thankyou for those very kind comments gentlemen. Much appreciated!

Yes the running did let us down, gremlins  and operator inexperience. I can't set it up at home so in reality it doesn't get a proper test until we get to an exhibition and this was really only its second serious outing!

We lost power in the goods yard for a while on Saturday, some of the slider switches for the points seem to be iffy at times and we need to get on top of back to backs and couplings although when set up well the Sprat and Winkles were encouraging and I will stick with them.  

The simplified sequence worked well (only missed out the Elson pilot shunts and the second Wrexham freight) and brought several comments about the 2 trains in 1 platform at the same time and the milk being attached to a passenger train (when it worked).

The signals controlled by servos and megapoints controller worked well throughout (when we remembered to use them) and above all the traverser designed and built by myself has worked well to my surprise.

Post mortem and snag list tonight.

What about the back scene? Hmmm!

Stafford next!

• 1 month later...

Aaargh! Don't we make problems for ourselves in the drive for authenticity! I've not touched the layout since returning from Peterborough in October. Well there was decorating to do! However, in the last couple of weeks i've started messing with Locos.  Well I do like to have the right ones. I've got all the right sort but not the right numbers. Most of the locos were used on Rhyd-y-Clafdy and therefore were mainly 89C/6F Machynlleth locos. Most of these are justifiable because they often got to the other end of the Cambrian system on workings or on running in turns after attention in Oswestry works.

I'd ordered one of the DJ 14xxs from Hattons and went for 1432 because that worked the Wrexham branch from Ellesmere for many years. Another notable one was 1458. I already have one as 1438 (another that spent time at Oswestry).  That one is a Airfix/Dapol body (weathered by Grimy Times) on a Hornby chassis as shown in the October BRM article. The Hornby body is waiting to be improved with the detailing kit from Mainly Trains and a Comet chassis and that could become 1458 (I'm sure I don't need 3 14xxs!). However, having seen the decorated sample of the heavily weathered 1432 at Hattons I decided to change the order to a pristine green, lined, late crest example which will be renumbered and weathered a bit! All this as a result of looking at too many photos.  Well don't the experts always tell you to look at photos! So 1432 black early crest, lined green late crest, nice and clean, a bit weathered, quite dirty or even ready for the scrapyard. 1458 lined green early crest. Never mind top feeds OR NOT! Mind you I don't think Oswestry were particularly bothered about cleaning locos (apart from when there was a royal train!).

Then I got in a pickle with tenders! Well there are photos of 7803 Barcote Manor running with a large tender in the 60s, same one as on the Bachmann Collett goods. Oh that would be a bit different I could renumber my 7802 Bradley Manor! So one of the Collett goods could have the Manor tender. But which one? Oh look 3209 was at Oswestry from 58-62 then at Machynlleth (well according to my research) and look there's a picture of it with the smaller tender (3500 gallon? I actually found useful info on the tenders on the Martin Finney kits bit on the Brassmasters website). But I'm not paying £40 ish for a kit I'm not capable of assembling). Oh, but there is a picture of 3209 with the larger tender. Confusing or what!? Then I found 2239 was at Oswestry from 56 to 61 then at Machynlleth. That would be a good one to have then.  Most of the other Oswestry Collett goods were there for much shorter periods. Oh wow! In Derek Lowes book (Cambrian Main line) there is a picture of 2239 (P143) at Aberystwyth - looks green, late crest- oh side window filled in!!! That might be nice to do - a bit different! More photos of 2239 - the windows weren't filled in they weren't there at all!! And the lining goes up to the cab roof!!! And its got the smaller tender! That would be a bit different - how do I do that? Anyway the order has gone in to Modelmaster for the number plates!

63xxs! Difficult to decide which numbers to use, every photo seems to be a different one. Anyway the chimneys on the 2 Mainline/Bachmann models need replacing AND the pony trucks (comet replacements by my good friend Ian Chapman) still keep bouncing off on the point work even after weighting and back to backing.

Anyway all this research can be so frustrating (if interesting) often difficult to tell liveries in black and white, how accurate are the colours on colour photos from the 60s and most photos show 3/4 views of locos and not much help with detail or tenders.

On a positive note the renumbered 7807 Compton Manor (Oswestry loco) is now running beautifully on it's Comet chassis - thanks Ian.

On another note can I justify running my Standard 3 Tanks (82005 Bachmann and 82021 DJH) they were used mainly on the Cambrian Coast hence on Rhyd-y-Clafdy. Well they must have gone to Oswestry works for attention on occasions!

And for the gentleman at Peterborough yes it did happen there is a photo of 4578 on the Wrexham auto train although it was only at Oswestry for about 3 months in 1958.

Does this come across as a bit of rant?

Does this come across as a bit of rant?

Not at all. The colour of 1458 was something I couldn't unwind until last week, as it always looked black. I'll probably base my engine on that loco now I know its is lined green.....It will be too busy working the Gobowen shuttle to work Wrexham-Ellesmere.... :biggrin_mini2:  

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Here you go, a something different 2251 wise for Cambrian areas: 

29443352371_5437cab30b_b.jpgWeathering 3208 by Alan Jones, on Flickr 

Quite a few Collets on the Cambrian with these 3000g tenders. 

Hi Alan

That looks excellent.  Can I ask where you sourced the tender? Its very similar to that on the Dean Goods as far as I can tell.  I fancied doing one with that tender.  I also fancied 2268. There are shots of it in filthy condition but with clean cab sides and tender which appeals to me! Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out the best way of removing the cab windows  for 2239 without making it into a major trauma.

I'm also struggling to decide what to do for my next layout. I always wanted to do a terminus at Porth Dinllaen and have copied the plans for the 1880 proposal to extend from Pwllheli (passing Rhyd-y-Clafdy of course). But I struggle to come up with a design. Maybe a terminus would have been built at or near Morfa Nefyn and a siding extended down to the beach and round to the lifeboat station.  But there again a terminus with the few buildings, Whitehall and the Ty Coch Inn appeals! But I cant really imagine there would have been sufficient development along the headland to justify a station there. But then a harbour facility similar to the at Aberdovey could make it into a nice layout.

But then I have some LMS locos  and have a fancy to do something on Anglesey along the lines of Bodorgan etc.

Choices eh!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Alan

That looks excellent.  Can I ask where you sourced the tender? Its very similar to that on the Dean Goods as far as I can tell.  I fancied doing one with that tender.  I also fancied 2268. There are shots of it in filthy condition but with clean cab sides and tender which appeals to me! Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out the best way of removing the cab windows  for 2239 without making it into a major trauma.

I'm also struggling to decide what to do for my next layout. I always wanted to do a terminus at Porth Dinllaen and have copied the plans for the 1880 proposal to extend from Pwllheli (passing Rhyd-y-Clafdy of course). But I struggle to come up with a design. Maybe a terminus would have been built at or near Morfa Nefyn and a siding extended down to the beach and round to the lifeboat station.  But there again a terminus with the few buildings, Whitehall and the Ty Coch Inn appeals! But I cant really imagine there would have been sufficient development along the headland to justify a station there. But then a harbour facility similar to the at Aberdovey could make it into a nice layout.

But then I have some LMS locos  and have a fancy to do something on Anglesey along the lines of Bodorgan etc.

Choices eh!

The Cambrian did start building a standard guage branch to Beddgelert Phil.  Some of the earthworks are still there.  How about that as a "might have been" Cambrian terminus layout?

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Aaargh! Don't we make problems for ourselves in the drive for authenticity! I've not touched the layout since returning from Peterborough in October. Well there was decorating to do! 

Hi Phil,

Just sat and read through this thread, very interesting and what a superb layout!  Any updates for this year on how things are going?  Has it any exhibitions planned for this year?

Rich

Hi Phil,

Just sat and read through this thread, very interesting and what a superb layout!  Any updates for this year on how things are going?  Has it any exhibitions planned for this year?

Rich

Hi Rich

Thanks for the comment.

Ive not been on here for ages and a friend told me you'd left a message. I'm afraid there are no exhibitions in your direction for a while, Doncaster in 2019 any use? This year we have Halifax  Sept 23/24 and Alsager Nov 4/5. Next year at the moment is Liverpool April 21/22, Railex at Aylesbury in May and Blackburn in September. As far as progress on the layout is concerned I haven't touched it since Preston exhibition in March but have just set it up in the garage to sort out one or two issues. My other issue of planning another layout (not for exhibitions!) is no nearer a decision although several plans have been drawn.

Cheers for now

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich

Thanks for the comment.

Ive not been on here for ages and a friend told me you'd left a message. I'm afraid there are no exhibitions in your direction for a while, Doncaster in 2019 any use? This year we have Halifax  Sept 23/24 and Alsager Nov 4/5. Next year at the moment is Liverpool April 21/22, Railex at Aylesbury in May and Blackburn in September. As far as progress on the layout is concerned I haven't touched it since Preston exhibition in March but have just set it up in the garage to sort out one or two issues. My other issue of planning another layout (not for exhibitions!) is no nearer a decision although several plans have been drawn.

Cheers for now

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the coming back on and replying!  I'll have to put Doncaster in 2019 diary when I get one in 14 months time!!

Rich

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For anyone who might be interested Ellesmere will be at Alsager exhibition Sat 4th Nov 10.00 - 16.30 and Sun 5th 10.00 - 16.00. Legends Conference and Leisure Centre, Bentley Motors, Crewe CW2 8WD.

If any of you manage it please come and have a chat.

Next exhibitions are Liverpool April 2018 and Aylesbury May 2018.

Phil

Hi Alan

2239 is almost ready appear at Ellesmere. It won't be ready for the Alsager Exhibition there's still too much to be done. I need another couple of weeks to get it finished. Although its mainly detailing and finishing off the painting. It needs weight adding as it has a new Comet chassis which is very light, and couplings before I can call it ready. It might have a test run depending on progress. It will be ready for the Liverpool exhibition.

Ian C

Edited by 44690

• 5 months later...

Sincere thanks to Ian C. 2239 made its debut appearance at Liverpool exhibition over the weekend. An old mainline loco which met with an accident at Stafford exhibition last year. 2239 was built during the war without cab windows and spent much of its life on the Cambrian. Apart from filling in the cab windows and adding lining It now has a Comet chassis and a new chimney.  Just needs lamps and a crew now.  Time to get in touch with Alan at ModelUpost-14175-0-99049900-1524502690_thumb.jpg

• Like 1