Hornby Winter Sale

Black 5 Bear

I am glad I have read these two pages because I am a first time buyer of Hornby and was shocked at their inability to deliver an order yet that I placed on 25th November. Now I realise they have significant problems with their systems, probably due to poor staffing, when errors do occur. I can live with that to a certain degree but having followed up at least 4 times by e-mail with them since early December and not received a single response other than the automated response that they'll get to me in 5 business days, I am now ready for a fight :threaten: .

As the credit card payment went through immediately it seems I may have legal rights I can enforce so I am attempting to get a refund on the £25 shipping fee, as that seems fair, given it is currently 5 weeks late. Lets hope we can agree when somebody actually makes contact with me as it may lead to a further purchase - therefore we can make this a win-win situation. The item was still in stock when I last looked.

Having had similar problems, in the broadest sense, I'd STRONGLY recommend calling them, even though you may feel it's a pain-in-the-arse and potentially costly.

I was awaiting both Bude and Okehampton that were pre-ordered and then listed as shipped Dec. 17th.

An extreme number of attempts to get to them via email PLUS a post on their facebook page (which was AT LEAST responded to with an "we'll get someone to contact you") resulted in no action or communications at all.

I finally called yesterday (Tuesday), waited ON HOLD for 30 minutes - #12 when I first joined the queue, and finally spoke with someone.

Many apologies given. Discovery that for some inexplicable reason the orders had shipped and been returned (no note or comment as to how/why/where returned from). As my order details have not changed in a couple of years AND I received my S15 from a pre-order barely six week prior, the Customer Care rep. said they'd be re-shipped yesterday, and gave me a discount coupon for my "trouble".

Here's hoping they really DO arrive in a couple of days - they always have shipped FedEx two-day to me in the US in the past, so I'm expecting they will be here by the weekend - otherwise it'll be back on the phone Monday I guess!! :butcher:

The exact same thing has happened to me with the K1. I ordered 23rd December in the morning, and got an email on the 31st saying they couldn't fulfil the order and would refund me (after taking the money on 29th). I then emailed objecting to this course of action emailing straight away on the 31st, but on Monday they refunded it anyway! The thing that annoys me the most is that they were still showing it as in stock only moments before I placed the order!

Hi Matthew,

I also ordered in the morning of the 23rd of December when the K1 was showing last two available on their website. According to my credit card company, payment was taken immediately on the above date.

Unbeknown to me, my credit card was reimbursed on the 31st of December.According to their customer services, I was allegedly sent an e-mail on this date cancelling the order, this was never received so I doubt that it was in fact sent. I was only alerted to this situation, when RJennings posted that his Colas 56 order had been cancelled.I didn't get the opportunity to challenge this as I was unaware of the reimbursement. One things for certain, I won't be letting this rest until I receive a favourable resolution from Hornby.

Oh well, I suppose I've been lucky with my sales orders.

My Balfour Beatty Sentinel arrived yesterday, and I eventually bought the "weathered" K1, 10 quid more than the sale one and still in stock, from the Last Chance Saloon, which arrived today (A nice runner under both DC and DCC; the tender body came off cleanly and I was able to pop the decoder in without drama - see the Exeter thread...).  All I'm now waiting for is a couple of Mk1 Parcels coaches which were 2 quid cheaper EACH in "Last Chance" compared with seemingly identical items in the Sale!  I brought the total of that order up to over the magic 30 quid by adding a bag of Dark Brown Rocks for a pound.  They'll come in useful as mineral wagon fillers! 

My Loco and Rolling Stock purchasing window has now closed, unless there's a humongously discounted, eminently desirable loco sometime between now and the B12 emerging. Thats apart from a club loco preorder for Whitechapel.

I wonder what the difference is between the LB&SCR A1X Whitechapel at £35 and the SE&CR A1X 751 at £75?

Hi Matthew,

I also ordered in the morning of the 23rd of December when the K1 was showing last two available on their website. According to my credit card company, payment was taken immediately on the above date.

Unbeknown to me, my credit card was reimbursed on the 31st of December.According to their customer services, I was allegedly sent an e-mail on this date cancelling the order, this was never received so I doubt that it was in fact sent. I was only alerted to this situation, when RJennings posted that his Colas 56 order had been cancelled.I didn't get the opportunity to challenge this as I was unaware of the reimbursement. One things for certain, I won't be letting this rest until I receive a favourable resolution from Hornby.

I got the following email:

We write with reference to your recent order.

Unfortunately we have experienced a technical issue with our systems which has caused some items to show as being available for purchase when in fact they are sold out.

This has happened on an isolated number of products, but your order has been identified as being impacted.

We do apologise for this, but can confirm that R3243A on your recent order H00223827 is not currently available.  We have proceeded to refund the card you paid with for this item and this will show within the next 72 working hours, depending on your card provider.

We would like to assure you that these instances are being reviewed and fixed, and hope you continue to order with us with confidence.  The remainder of your order is being processed and will be with you shortly.

Should you have any questions regarding this e-mail then please contact Customer Care on 01843 233525.

That's funny as last year I ordered a SR Maunsell Coach from there Xmas sale list and got a similar email that it was showing in stock but was actually sold out. It looks like a year on they still haven't fixed that technical issue, you would think that a company that seems to want us to use there website as there preferred choice they would have a live stock update on it by now! At least they gave me a discount coupon off my next order as an apology.

Order placed 7 days  (1st Jan ) ago  credit  card  immediately  debited!

Phoned  Thursday to be advised the order was being picked  and despatched that  day

No delivery info received from carrier so telephoned  this morning to confirm  despatch,  on hold  for 20 mins   finally advised by the same person that the order had not been picked  yet!

Requested cancellation of  order  but told   that was not possible  I would have to  refuse  delivery.

What  a  farce,  I will  think twice befor  ordering  from them  again, if Hattons/Rails/Rails of Sheff. can despatch  orders same day  then  why  can't Hornby, ( I suspect  that  their staff levels   are  too low ) cost  saving??)

It's all rather odd as well - I got my "we've sold out" email after the package had arrived. As the order was for a part rake of Mk3s x2 just because the A version of it had sold out they didn't supply 2 coaches. A more intelligent offering would be to contact before despatch to say "we're out of A, would you like 2 more B or anything else?" Perhaps the outsourced fulfilment provider wasn't asked to do that in its contract?

Instead of that (and offering the chance to Hornby to make up its lost £36) I will visit a local model shop and pay more to get the ones I want.

How hard can it be to keep a record of stock levels as against orders?

johnpeter3

Afternoon Steve,

Rather than refuse delivery, just call up customer services, who will provide a return number reference.

They still, as far I'm aware provide a freepost address for returns and only ask for proof of postage.

Thanks  for  that  info...Maybe  I  am  being  a  bit awkard with  Hornby  it  frustrates  me  somewhat  that  as   I mentioned we  can  get  rapid  service  from the  well known retailers, but  Hornby  do not  seem  to  even  have  an  act  to  get  together these days!!

I have ordered  from  them  before  but  some time  ago now  I placed  2 seperate orders  for  Arnold   Brighton Belles  and  both  arrived within 48 hours.

• RMweb Gold

All of the above,I would suggest,is a direct result of Hornby contracting out to a separate company for warehousing,dispatch and delivery. As a comparison,if you go onto Waterstones website,you can order a book for delivery and collection to your local Waterstones branch...at a discount,say of £3. On Tuesday,I went into my local Burton on Trent branch to buy with a book token a copy of Simon Bradley's The Railways,cover price £25,online collection at same store £22.I should add here that Waterstones warehouse is some 800 metres from said store. Saw copy.Mentioned I'd seen it for collection at £22 and in my blissful naivety,like Oliver Twist,asked if I could have the £3 discount. .....you can guess the rest.....no,because the online Waterstones Collection outfit is......a separate company Go home,click buttons,come back and collect same book off shelf. Only we Brits can do this....indulge in Alice In Wonderland nincompoopery.

Went home.Went online.Purchased book for £17.....yes,Amazon.Goodbye Waterstones

Yes,I know I've wandered way off topic but I use my recent taste of "the retail experience" to, I think, illustrate the dangers of fragmentation and of right hands and left hands not connecting.

My business lost...I sinned and went to tax dodgers Amazon.But I'll be damned if I'll tolerate cack-brained silliness.

• RMweb Gold

Been reading the thread and some of the posts about peoples rights and I think people should be cautious. One would normally regard a contact as formed when payment is made but most online retails have a statement within their T&C's which states that a contact is only formed on despatch of goods. This is what the Amazon site states 'We only accept your offer, and conclude the contract of sale for a product ordered by you, when we dispatch the product to you'. There is normally also a note that you agree to these terms by proceding with the order

This is generally considered fair as they do this so they have a chance to check the order and it protects traders in case they have made a simple error. (an error which would be picked up at the till in a shop)

I agree though that Hornby should be pushed to provide what they advertised, but rights should be checked first and it should be stressed to do the right thing

One approach might be to post on their Facebook (and twitter?) pages, most companies seem to take notice and respond to anything which reflects badly on social media pretty quickly

Just  had  a  TXT message  from  Interlink  advising  me  that  my Hornby order  will be  delivered  Jan 11th.........  only 10 days  after placing it!!!

Contrasts  greatly  to  the  usual time lines   noted when  I purchase from other  suppliers  who use DPD/Interlink,  Where I invariably  get  the TXT message only a couple of  hours after placing orders

• RMweb Gold

This is taken from Hornby's website concerning delivery:

Please allow up to 5 working days for UK delivery following the day you placed your order. Free UK P&P when you spend over £30.

If your delivery has not arrived within 5 working days, please contact Internet Sales on 01843 233525 or by email at customercare@Hornby.com.

Basically if you ordered on January 1st (which was after all Bank Holiday weekend), those orders won't be processed till January 4th at the earliest, depending how much of a backlog of orders there are. So 5 working days from the 4th would work out to be 11th

Please allow up to 5 working days for UK delivery following the day you placed your order. Free UK P&P when you spend over £30.

If your delivery has not arrived within 5 working days, please contact Internet Sales on 01843 233525 or by email at customercare@Hornby.com.

Basically if you ordered on January 1st (which was after all Bank Holiday weekend), those orders won't be processed till January 4th at the earliest, depending how much of a backlog of orders there are. So 5 working days from the 4th would work out to be 11th

Yes  I am  fully  aware of  all this    my issue  is  contrasting with  my past GOOD service  Hornby provided  previously.

several other  companies  I deal  with  who retail goods  by mail order  were  working Jan 2 & 3 These  are not all in the  Hobby industry.  An order placed  with  Hattons on Jan 3  was  delivered  Jan 4th

It is  an  indication  of  perhaps  staff problems with Hornby or  whoever it  is  concerned  with  their mail order department that  there   unacceptable  long  queing  time  when attempting  to telephone them

• RMweb Gold

Yes  I am  fully  aware of  all this    my issue  is  contrasting with  my past GOOD service  Hornby provided  previously.

several other  companies  I deal  with  who retail goods  by mail order  were  working Jan 2 & 3 These  are not all in the  Hobby industry.  An order placed  with  Hattons on Jan 3  was  delivered  Jan 4th

It is  an  indication  of  perhaps  staff problems with Hornby or  whoever it  is  concerned  with  their mail order department that  there   unacceptable  long  queing  time  when attempting  to telephone them

As your issues are with Customer Service, perhaps they should have been put in this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104738-returns-customer-service/

rather than this one.

What  a  farce,  I will  think twice befor  ordering  from them  again, if Hattons/Rails/Rails of Sheff. can despatch  orders same day  then  why  can't Hornby, ( I suspect  that  their staff levels   are  too low ) cost  saving??)

But then you order from here because of cost saving?

I think double standards comes into play here?

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Stewart

Fine.But exactly whose staff levels ? Hornby "back office" or warehouse staff ? Because the warehouse is a different company.What was that once used,fashionable management term of "claiming ownership " ?

Stewart

No Stewart,   the  order  was  placed  because  my group  for  whom  I do most  of  the  ordering  had  identified items  which  were unobtainable  elsewhere  of  the  £450+ order  only  1  was  less expensive  than other  sources (from memory it  was   a coach  for  about £28 best 'other' price  was around £29.75 ish)

Cost  saving  is  not  much  of  an  issue  with  me  but  custiomer  service  is!

• RMweb Gold

I ordered some of the ER suburban coaches, on Jan 1st, so breaking my New Year resolution within 1 day!

I got an order confirmation straightaway from Hornby but by Tuesday of this week, having read posts here, and having not had a despatch notice, I emailed their customer service.

Wednesday morning a nice reply had come, from Nicola at Hornby, assuring me the items would be here by this coming Monday at the latest.

The box turned up today, with 4 nicely packaged coaches in, see pic!

For the K1, I see Kernow are offering the early crest version at £89.99:

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/42138/R3242-Hornby-Class-K1-Steam-Locomotive-number-62015

Not that that's much compensation for those who had ordered one (more cheaply) in the sale...

cheers,

Keith

post-10919-0-65488600-1452273965_thumb.jpg

I ordered the Thompson O1 on Dec 29th.  By the 5th it was still showing as 'processing'.  I gave them a call and was told that it would be picked and dispatched that day.  A very packed box turned up the next day.

I unpacked the O1 with a fair degree of trepidation expecting some re-assembly to be required, but I have to say that the model was absolute fine.  No wonky running plate, the cab glazing has no glue marks and it runs beautifully - all for a very good price.

I'm very pleased with the model (maybe I got lucky this time).

They do seem to have been a bit overwhelmed with the orders over the Christmas / New year break though due to the sale.  At one point I was No. 31 in the phone queue.  Hopefully their response times will settle down again once the backlog is cleared.

Archived