I think I've caught a nasty (bus) bug...

rapidotrains

I think my bug will be cured by spending more time on classic British buses. I'm joining the Transport Museum, Wythall.

Or maybe that will make it worse.

You don't have to be worried about distractions. We haven't started making full-size reproduction 1960s-era Cyberman costumes... YET.

-Jason

This sounds akin to giving Dracula the keys to the blood bank in a bid to cure his vampirism...

• RMweb Premium

Here's a neat video if you like Birmingham buses. The date is wrong as it must be after January 1969 - there is a bus in NBC livery.

Oh my - that didn't take long. I am now a proper bus nerd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFGLNvBMmBo

Now what I wouldn't do for a sound-equipped BMMO D9......

-Jason

I think it is 1964, the 'NBC livery' is due to fading of the original film. The Midland Red buses still have the full 'Midland' title in gold on their sides. There are also no cars or other vehicles that date from later than the mid 60's.

Here's a neat video if you like Birmingham buses. The date is wrong as it must be after January 1969 - there is a bus in NBC livery.

Oh my - that didn't take long. I am now a proper bus nerd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFGLNvBMmBo

Now what I wouldn't do for a sound-equipped BMMO D9......

-Jason

I didn't see any NBC liveried Midland Red-ery! I think the date is about correct because:

1) The opening shots feature a CM6T motorway coach (definitely worthy of an OO model...) in original red/black livery and unrefurbished conditioin. By about 1971 they were refurbished with large bus type destination displays, more chrome work and new seats, and started to emerge in a new all-red livery. In 1973 they were repainted into National white but by 1974 they were replaced by Leyland Leopards, so the shot dates to somewhere between 1963 and 1970, pre NBC corporate identity.

2) The 118 to Walsall shown in Corporation St is a Midland Red D7. All were withdrawn by 1972 so were gone before the NBC Corporate livery was introduced in 1973.

3) All the Corporation buses are in full BCT livery and none carry the WM "wriggly worm" logo. WMPTE was formed in 1969 and immediately all buses lost their Council coat of arms and either left blank or had WM logos applied on stickers. All WMPTE buses would have had logos by the time of the first NBC liveried buses entering service.

Great film though, also featured a brief shot of one of Ribble/Standerwick's "Gay Hostess" double-deck high speed Leyland Atlantean coaches which had a lower deck aircraft style galley serving light refreshments and which were introduced at the same time as Midland Red's CM5T motorway coaches for the opening of the M1 motorway, and a Crosville Bristol MW coach on the round the houses Liverpool to London service which never called at Digbeth coach station, but instead made any Scousers decamp at Erdington in the Birmingham suburbs!

I can recommend searching YouTube for some wonderful footage of the Walsall trolleybuses and other Midland red footage and fully agree with the idea of a DCC sound BMMO D9, or S17, 21, 22 or 23, or CM6T...

It's at least 1965 as there was a C reg Mk.1 Cortina, the facelifted model, but I didn't spot anything specifically 1966 (and that included World Cup Willie...).

I'd go along with Bernard as '65. Its no earlier than '64, Midland Red Fleetlines made a couple of appearances, and the C plate Cortina is the defining factor.

You will know you caught something when you are persuaded to buy a part share in one! Here's the very one, a 1957 AEC Regent 5, the last one the East Yorkshire Motor Service bought to go through the Beverley "North Bar" with a Gothic style roof. Seen here leaving East Park in Hull, Bridlington bound on the East Coast Run. 

attachicon.gifDeparts East Park Hull.JPG

The EYMS were always very helpful and when they organised a run through the "Bar" for their last bus in service, we were glad to turn up.

attachicon.gifWith 782 644 872.jpg

Incidently, that bus was a Damiler Fleetline and it's on the left in the lineup. On the very far right is EYMS's own preserved  1956 AEC Regent 5.

attachicon.gif782 At Beverley Bar.jpg

Lastly AEC Renown 782 passing through the "Bar" on that day.

I have since given up my share in "Sputnic" and she is now owned by Lance Blackman.

If you want a Beverley Bar bus and are prepared to kit-build, Little Bus Company currently have this on their lists:

"ROE 11                  Leyland PD2/12 Roe `Beverley Bar East Yorkshire             £45.00"

Their latest news is here: http://www.little-bus.com/littlebus-news.html

The Model Bus Show at Wythall will take place on Bank Holiday Monday 30 May 2016, for the model fix as well, and a Running Day.

Mike

I'm going to see if I can make it. I am trying to organize an event in the UK this spring/summer and if I can do it for the 31st I can get nail two birds with one stone...

-Jason

Archived