Duplicate Christmas Prezzie Class 85 Railfreight Question.

Nile_Griffith

Aaaaaarrrggghhhh!!!

Significant other pulled out all the stops and managed to track down as a Christmas present for me. A mint Bachmann Collectors Club edition of the Class 85 in Railfreight Distribution livery........... Awwwww bless!

However (and there is always an "however"). Baby Bro has just presented me with the same!!!!!!!!

So the question is oh Yuletide RMweb'ers. Just how many of the class along with 85101 "Doncaster Plant" made it into Railfreight livery. I think it is something like ten that had their train heat removed and their top speed limited that were used for freight working, but did they all get repainted and what were there TOPS numbers?

In essence I'm hoping I might get away with a renumbering exercise on one of the loco's. They are a lovely model and I'd like to be able to keep both.

Thanks in advance and a merry christmas to all.

Nile

About 10-12 were converted into 85/1s. However, I don't believe any of them carried anything other than BR blue while in service. I'm sure the Railfreight livery was a repaint done in preservation prior to the Doncaster works open day in 2003.

Oh !!

So not only is 85101 unique in it's Railfreight livery, it would seems that it's actually a "preservation" livery to boot. That'll teach me to be a bit more diligent in my research rather than shopping with my eyes.

Oh well, won't be the first pair of loco's to get consigned to the "someday" shelf.

A big thank you for all the replies and a Merry Christmas to all.

What the heck, if they look good run them, I have a soft spot for this work of fiction:

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/L205155-LN-02_3151778_Qty1_ruler.jpg

Not wholly a work of fiction, BR did experiment with various liveries and 87006 appeared in large logo but with black body sides

https://flic.kr/p/i6UfYJ

Not wholly a work of fiction, BR did experiment with various liveries and 87006 appeared in large logo but with black body sides

https://flic.kr/p/i6UfYJ

The bodysides on 87006 were painted Graffite Grey, not black. You can see the difference between the two looking at the cab window surrounds and the bodyside.

14 Class 85's were renumbered to 85/1s, but not all ran at the same time. As one was withdrawn - mainly due to fire damage, another would be renumbered to compensate until only the Euston ECS locos were left.

85101 was painted into RFD livery in 2002 by it's owners the AC Locomotive Group at Barrow Hill, two years ago she was repainted back to standard BR blue and now carries her original TOPS number 85006

I can empathise Nile. Santa and his little helpers were very active and delivered a Blue livery Bachmann 85 026 wich is wonderful and I was really pleased. Sadly however I had treated myself to the same model about 2 months earlier in a moment of weakness.

I normally model East Anglia and one would be a push but having 2 class 85's is a bit of a stretch.

I know it's my railway and I can run what I like which explains the class 26 in railfright. But any ideas on what I can do with a class 85 would be very much appreciated.

stephen

• 2 weeks later...

The bodysides on 87006 were painted Graffite Grey, not black. You can see the difference between the two looking at the cab window surrounds and the bodyside.

14 Class 85's were renumbered to 85/1s, but not all ran at the same time. As one was withdrawn - mainly due to fire damage, another would be renumbered to compensate until only the Euston ECS locos were left.

thats what I did with my 87022 only I used Executive Dark Grey ... not sure how that differs from Graphite Grey but it looks good to me.

The scheme was only a signature away from being carried whilst in traffic, but then politics got in the way and the RfD sector wanted better reliability from their newer 90's but no-one else to borrow them, so there was less of a need to keep the 85s in traffic.

Some moved to ECS and Parcels pools for their final months, they kept the /1 numbers but probably had the ETS fuse pushed back in to provide train heat.

I've actually painted two 85s into grey, a Hornby conversion that later went blue and also helped with the real one. We thought at the time that it'd also look good in Parcels Red...

Archived