Ardlochan Junction TMD

MrWhippyO

My second attempt at a traction maintenance depot as a follow on from my first layout, Shalmstry Cuttings TMD. It is to be called Ardlochan Junction TMD.

My initial thoughts are that this will be a similar layout, if not the same as Shamlstry because as was mentioned in that thread, it had a good flow to it. I like how the locos could be moved about on the layout.

After a recent visit to Crewe (for the first time) I got quite a lot of inspiration for this layout and seeing Gresty Road, where DRS have a base, I'd like to try and produce something similar to this. 

My first plans are to get a new 10mm plywood baseboard (1600mm x 400mm), and three sides (1600mm x 300mm) (400mm x 300mm) (material suggestions always welcome!), some track sorted, points, motors, wiring and switches. I'd also like to make sure there is potential for a fiddle yard in the future and when I have more space to play with!   

post-12931-0-62089000-1451084712_thumb.jpg

All thoughts and comments are always welcome!

Cheers folks

James

I've decided to edit the plan slightly and have the two stabling point lines straight rather than with the slight curve in them, this will add the chance for more scenery at the front of the layout. 

Apart from getting track down after invading the model shop tomorrow, is this the time to paint the boards? Or is it best to paint when track is down and ballasting has started?

Photos of the board to come soon!

Cheers

James

If you ate painting the birds I would do it before anything election so nothing gets in the way and paint dosent go where you don't want it to go. Also are you using Underlay

Johan

Thanks for the advice!

I wasn't sure on underlay, I see on other threads people have used cork board or foam to underlay the track. What is the purpose of this?

Cheers,

James

As promised, a picture of the boards so far, made from 9mm plywood (turns out 10mm didn't exist).

Left a gap on the left hand side to allow a plate to be fitted with all the connections to the board; power, lighting etc.

Excuse the clutter, it has become somewhat of a shalf for various bits and bobs!

post-12931-0-68183300-1451473660_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the advice!

I wasn't sure on underlay, I see on other threads people have used cork board or foam to underlay the track. What is the purpose of this?

Cheers,

James

I would like to apologise for the autocorrect on my post I'm supprised you where able to decipher it!!!

And the underlay is used to reduce noise when trains are running, act as a ballast shoulder and help with smooth running of locos.

Johan

A title for the depot has finally been decided. Ardlochan depot.

I have no idea how to change the title of the thread, I don't think I can?

I know you can but I absalutly no idear otherwise my layout thread would have a different title!!!

Johan

Edit: what program did you use to make the track diagram??

Realy like the look of this James!!

wil follow this now.

Ive finished building my DRS depot on my home layout now...

cheers neil..

Thanks Neil, always good to hear some positive words!

Dug out some old track from an old layout, it's quite dirty and I'm quite unsure how to clean it all up? I also am considering just to cut my losses and get all brand neaw Peco track for it?

Opinions always welcome!

James

Got my track cleaned, needs some work just to smooth out some areas that are still causing  afew small issues.

Today I picked up a pack of cork floor tiles from Homebase (like the BBC, other DIY shops are availible!) for a reasonable £9.99.

post-12931-0-41077200-1451745672_thumb.jpg

Spent the afternoon cutting and laying the cork under the rails. I am still waiting on some new flexible track ordered online. I find the cork very easy to cut, just using a sharp Stanley.

post-12931-0-73582600-1451745689_thumb.jpg

At the left side I used full tiles to cover the area that will become the hard standing area.

post-12931-0-99412600-1451745739_thumb.jpg

Got my point motors ordered, I have switches and wire for completing the wiring the motors. I am using YouTube videos on Everard Junction as reference. I find them very helpful on wiring and scenery. I also wish to get ballast, and the back scenery started once all the electronics have been completed!

Comments always welcome!

James

I also wach everard junction and he has some amasing vidios and his 'how to build a layout' series is realy good and is so helpful. Also don't pin your trach down until you have fully installed all point motors and you have checked and dubble cheaked the points.

Johan

Thanks for the advice guys, I've got the cork stuck down with double sided tape, just a case of waiting for the track and motors now!

Planning on installing several droppers to the track to connect to a DCC bus, this means I can remove the small 'paperclips' from the points. It should help with any bad areas of conductivity too.

James

• RMweb Premium

A title for the depot has finally been decided. Ardlochan depot. 

I have no idea how to change the title of the thread, I don't think I can?

Go to your first post and click "edit", then click "use full editor". Then you can edit the title.

HTH,

Mick

Go to your first post and click "edit", then click "use full editor". Then you can edit the title.

HTH,

Mick

Thank you very much! See it takes me ages to find all these buttons and commands!

Many thanks

James

Been progessing quite well with the layout this week, point motors and flexible track arrived, both are now fixed in place. I have wired the point motors to a small control board at the front of the layout. I also added a small socket for the point motor transformer to attach to the board. 

Photos to come soon.

James

Archived