The ghost of Christmas Modular

cromptonnut

• RMweb Gold

Yes it's a new concept to many but worth suspending the usual course to try it ;)

I don't mix stock either on my layouts but I do on the US version as you concentrate on the train your driving so the 'clash' isn't as apparent.

Maybe that's what it needs at first, but later you could specify a theme for part of a meet and run it to a tighter theme yet still retain a couple of companies to allow plenty of stock. It's only locos and coaches that tightly define most locations.

• RMweb Gold

Hi 'Nut,

Didnt realise you were feeling this way about modular until seeing your post in Croydon North Street totally understand your point of view but I think given time more modules will appear. Once I have Hailsham running I have plans for another few modules. I would also be willing to hep organise things although I have never really done anything like that in the past so wouldn't feel confident to do it without heavy oversight on what I was doing.

Hoping you continue with modular but totally understand if you don't.

Gary

As I said, I haven't completely abandoned the plan but I think I was taking on too much and without anyone else (not necessarily in our area, but nationally) attempting to work on a meet then I don't think it's something that will really take off without other parts of the UK attempting.

Organising a meet is really no more complicated than finding a suitable venue at this stage, advertising it on RMWeb then when you get people's module details you can use nothing more complex than graph paper to plan out what can connect with where - and I'm very happy to do whatever is needed to help a meet happen whether practically, administratively or otherwise, anywhere in the UK - sadly my new job and shiftwork simply means I don't have as much free time as I'd like to but internet can help.

I've done no modelling of my own really since this started, whilst trying to juggle far too many modules that don't really do anything, and I think ultimately what I need to focus on is a self contained layout of my own, that is at the very least modular compatible even if a converter board is required - and part of this 'permanent layout plan' I am working on would involve two levels (scenic on top, storage underneath) with the scenic level being removable for modular purposes.  I've also retained most of the completed boards that came to the first meet although I feel that "RTS" needs a big rethink before I can really do much else. 

What I find most disappointing and frustrating overall though is the complete silence from "the powers that be" on the issue in this thread.

Hi,

like said - build your own layout and keep it compatible seems to me the best way to go. If all else fails, you still have your layout and a couple of friends in your area to play trains on a bigger arrangement if desired.

Don't be impatient - you cannot force something to happen. And, for example, let's see what those fellows in the midlands can achieve at the longer run...

At least you delivered the proof the concept works.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing there was little interest in the competition as well then?

Oh well.  We tried, we did what we could, I guess we need to think down in our area whether to carry on trying a modular project, some sort of members day, or just crawl back into our sheds and get on with our own modelling.

Archived