Loksound 4 - newby questions

zep75

I have received a loco S15 Hornby with a loksound 4 fitted

The first question I have is should the chuffing sound be louder than incidental sounds such as fireman shovelling , boiler filling, steam cocks.etc

I am new to this and also the loco starting chuffs don't seem to be slow on start like the TT ones on the Duke of Gloucester. It seems to chuff quickly after starting.

Any thoughts - welcome I am using an elite but have a ECoS (mass pressies) which I am yet to connect needs some study!

I have received a loco S15 Hornby with a loksound 4 fitted

The first question I have is should the chuffing sound be louder than incidental sounds such as fireman shovelling , boiler filling, steam cocks.etc

I am new to this and also the loco starting chuffs don't seem to be slow on start like the TT ones on the Duke of Gloucester. It seems to chuff quickly after starting.

Any thoughts - welcome I am using an elite but have a ECoS (mass pressies) which I am yet to connect needs some study!

Who's sound project is in the locomotive??   Charlie

A properly setup LokSound V4 should chuff exactly in line with wheel movements.  These are settings that an end user can undertake (CV changes), but you need to read the ESU decoder manual carefully.  Manual is available from the ESU website, see page 72.

The sound levels are settable, again read manuals.  Pages 69-71.  NB, you MUST set the index CV, CV32, correctly before altering the individual sound levels, see page 71.   There is a certain amount of guesswork on which sound is allocated to which slot, though your ECoS might be able to work this out automatically - its surprising how much an ECoS can read automatically from a well setup sound decoder.

Some sounds on real locomotives can be incredibly loud compared to chuff noises. 

If the loco was supplied with the decoder fitted, then I'd be asking the supplier to set it up properly.   If it was a loco, with decoder separately to be installed by customer, then chuff setup is one of the things you need to do.   

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

You can change various volumes using cv's but you need to know whose project to know which sounds are on what cv, that's why Charlie asked ;)

download the manual here

http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/

The chuff rate is also controlled by cv's but it also varies with the real locos number of cylinders, so you need to set it to match the type ;)

Archived