'USA' 0-6-0T models - painted samples

dibber25

• RMweb Premium

Is there someone with 'the knowledge' that could tell me which of these would be OK for the one that became the Meldon Pilot in Dec1962/63? 

I realise that it will need renumbering; I can not remember which loco it was.

Thank you.

Phil

Is there someone with 'the knowledge' that could tell me which of these would be OK for the one that became the Meldon Pilot in Dec1962/63? 

I realise that it will need renumbering; I can not remember which loco it was.

Thank you.

Phil

According to the Bluebell Railway, 30064 became WR stock when transferred to Meldon Quarry. Hope that helps. (CJL)

• RMweb Premium

According to the Bluebell Railway, 30064 became WR stock when transferred to Meldon Quarry. Hope that helps. (CJL)

That's the one Dibber. As soon as it went west of Salisbury it got nabbed by the invaders, but it did survive for a couple of years and that is brilliant (unlike most of the SR infrastructure west of Salisbury). Many thanks indeed for that. I had it written down somewhere having looked at a Trains Illustrated for that era (early 1963 Motive Power Miscellany section; it was always about two three months after the event reporting for that section).

Phil 

• Like 2

That's the one Dibber. As soon as it went west of Salisbury it got nabbed by the invaders, but it did survive for a couple of years and that is brilliant (unlike most of the SR infrastructure west of Salisbury). Many thanks indeed for that. I had it written down somewhere having looked at a Trains Illustrated for that era (early 1963 Motive Power Miscellany section; it was always about two three months after the event reporting for that section).

Phil 

In those days one of my jobs, when I wasn't working on Model Railway Constructor itself, was to update copies of the Abc and LocoShed Book from the scrappy bits of paper that came in from the BR regions, in readiness for the next edition. Some Regions sent weekly reports, some monthly, and some just whenever they could be bothered. They all supplied different info, in different ways. Lining up when a loco 'disappeared' from one region and then didn't crop up on another for weeks afterwards was a real pain! (CJL)

According to the Sprenger book on the USA tanks 30062 was renumbered DS234 in November 1962 and tranferred to Meldon in December 1962. It continued there until August 1966. Repairs were required and it was then replaced by 30064. 

This was a short term transfer to the Western Region as the quarry closed soon afterwards. 30064 then returned to the Southern via Bristol Bath Road open day on the 22nd October 1966. 

Yes it was 30062 / DS234 which was sent to Meldon Quarry to replace G6 DS238. The good news is photos of it show that it was black with later crest similar to 30067 and 30071 with number on the lower tank sides, cab end. I don't know if there were any physical differences. It was apparently swopped with 30064 when it needed repairs.

Photo here http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p597862420/h6026FA1B#h6026fa1b

I don't think that 30064 ever officially became Departmental Stock. It certainly wasn't renumbered as such and kept it's number and green livery until withdrawal. http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/usa.html

Jason

• RMweb Premium

30062 has a bit of Plasticard draped across the front below the smokebox door :scratchhead: . Reckon I could get away with one of the Black ones then. Many thanks all; great fun reading these little bits of history.

Seeing that waggle through Seaton  junction on a freezing December night could just be worth it? However i suspect it came down west in a Goods, with it's rods off, so maybe I wait and see if any get left 'on the shelf' for a slightly reduced rate?

Not exactly a priority loco but just one of those I would really enjoy having. I haven't even built the G6 yet :nono: .

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

30062 has a bit of Plasticard draped across the front below the smokebox door :scratchhead: . Reckon I could get away with one of the Black ones then. Many thanks all; great fun reading these little bits of history.

Seeing that waggle through Seaton  junction on a freezing December night could just be worth it? However i suspect it came down west in a Goods, with it's rods off, so maybe I wait and see if any get left 'on the shelf' for a slightly reduced rate?

Not exactly a priority loco but just one of those I would really enjoy having. I haven't even built the G6 yet :nono: .

Phil

That sounds like the front platform that was hinged. Two versions are supplied with the model (if appropriate) so you can fit it either raised or lowered. (CJL)

You never know, these models have taken a while no fault of model rail, what I would suggest is to wait and see, when all the orders have been done, you just don't know if some will cancel their orders meaning some may become available, just have to wait and see once they have completed their pre-orders. In a month or so's time wait and see.

You never know, these models have taken a while no fault of model rail, what I would suggest is to wait and see, when all the orders have been done, you just don't know if some will cancel their orders meaning some may become available, just have to wait and see once they have completed their pre-orders. In a month or so's time wait and see.

Yes, I note the Model Rail website has suddenly started warning of despatch up to 28 days from receipt in the country  -  never seen that anywhere before ! : maybe 'cos I've never seen a docking date published before ?  ( Surely it makes more sense to check the goods at the factory rather than ship potentially duff items half way round the world !!?! )

Maybe because Model Rail are the commissioners rather than just a retailer selling Bachmann products.

They probably were checked at the factory, but if Model Rail just send them out without checking then they would possibly be liable if something was amiss. If I was responsible for thousands of pounds worth of orders then I would rather be sure that everything was right before sending them out.

After all, you may end up with a pink one because Bachmann has mistakenly sent out the TTTE version in the link below. :jester:

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_259_261&products_id=6404

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I note the Model Rail website has suddenly started warning of despatch up to 28 days from receipt in the country  -  never seen that anywhere before ! : maybe 'cos I've never seen a docking date published before ?  ( Surely it makes more sense to check the goods at the factory rather than ship potentially duff items half way round the world !!?! )

You might think that but .....as most of us are only too aware.....it simply doesn't happen that way.Bachmann received shedloads of brickbats when they released the revamped Class 40 a couple of years ago a large proportion of which had to be stripped down and contacts cleaned off at Barwell before they would run..Bachmann are,unlike Hornby and other manufacturers,Chinese owned in any case.Imagine the hurt pride if we were to insist on a UK operative looking over a Chinese shoulder at the factory QC...not of course that they would remotely entertain the idea.A consequence of current offshore manufacturing.The odd Friday afternoon job goes with the territory.Yes I know it shouldn't happen...but...... :protest:

Model Rail isn't checking them - we couldn't do that and produce a magazine as well! They will go direct from Barwell to Kernow - and even we will have to wait to get our office orders fulfilled from Cornwall. I understand that Bachmann will carry out the checks at Barwell and - from what Andy has said under the Bachmann heading - it will be a 'sample testing' which is what would normally happen. (CJL)

I ordered a 30064 about four years ago, although I do not see my order on the Model Rail Offers website. Hmm, not to be whiney I am wondering if after all this time that the order has been lost. Which begs another question. Many of us probably provided credit card numbers with our preorders. With the passage of time, many of those credit cards have expired. Will we be contacted for updates?

Cheers

Malcolm Turner

Calgary,Canada

I had the same thought about my order on the Kernow/Model Rail website.  They had my order reference for the USA tank but no record of my credit card.  Their on-line shop software apparently doesn't save the information.  I suggest you contact them again.

peterfgf

I ordered a 30064 about four years ago, although I do not see my order on the Model Rail Offers website. Hmm, not to be whiney I am wondering if after all this time that the order has been lost. Which begs another question. Many of us probably provided credit card numbers with our preorders. With the passage of time, many of those credit cards have expired. Will we be contacted for updates?

Cheers

Malcolm Turner
Calgary,Canada

I had the same thought about my order on the Kernow/Model Rail website.  They had my order reference for the USA tank but no record of my credit card.  Their on-line shop software apparently doesn't save the information.  I suggest you contact them again.

peterfgf

. With the passage of time, many of those credit cards have expired. Will we be contacted for updates?

Cheers

Malcolm Turner

Calgary,Canada

I think that is going to apply to most of us, but I can't see a way of updating the card details.

• RMweb Gold

I think that is going to apply to most of us, but I can't see a way of updating the card details.

If Kernow are processing payments then a simple phonecall to them will ensure currency. I have found them just as friendly on the phone as they are when I visit.