Abrail 2010 - Abingdon

pirouets

I did - with the family too. We had a good couple of hours there in the afternoon. Really enjoyed it. What I was aware of today was how nice the operators to my son and nephew. On a number of layouts they had conversations with the operators, a couple of times they were invited to come round and look at the layout from a different angle. One operator allowed my son to operate the crossing gates on one layout! Really nice though i I like to see the younger generation encouraged (when they are behaving appropriately!)

Hello :)

I went too (well I kinda had to!) and really enjoyed myself. I was impressed by the quantity and quality of the N Gauge layouts there although I was fascinated by the gauge 3 layout, plus it was nice to meet a few RMWeb folks too. Once again though I got next to no modelling done, I have been told this is a good thing!

Missy :)

• RMweb Gold

Excellent show with quite an accent on N gauge I thought. But an interesting range of layouts overall and some excellent ones (ace bit of narrow gauge modelling in one case) and a couple of interesting bits of Great Western (plus some not so interesting) and the top notch little Portuguese tram/railway terminus layout which was also at Wycrail last year.

Sorry I didn't speak to you Missy but you were heavily in conversation with some other folk as I passed - but the station lights looked excellent I thought.

Regrettably for my wallet Mr Gamble was there with his bookstall......

I made it along there. It was certainly quieter than when I attended a few years back and the mini-bus service from the car parking was very welcome and worked well. It was nice to see a decent range of N gauge layouts and traders. Although nothing to do with the organisers, I thought that the tea at the centres cafe was very expensive - £1.60 a cup - and the atmosphere hot and stuffy. Nonetheless, all in all a decent show.

G.

• RMweb Gold

About time I posted the pics I took. I had a good 3 hrs their before my cold got the better of me and was pleasently surprised by the amount of n gauge.

Aldbury Town

post-773-126822076706_thumb.jpg

Black gang

post-773-126822077396_thumb.jpg

Burton Bradstock

post-773-126822080028_thumb.jpg

Could there possible be a flaw in how to operate Pollington or is it the invention of a new extreme sport?

post-773-126822081879_thumb.jpg

Pollington with the intrepid operator about to perform a double somersault dismount.

post-773-126822086187_thumb.jpg

Langley road

post-773-126822083557_thumb.jpg

Minho Douro - I loved the detail on this one.

post-773-126822084982_thumb.jpg

This was in the middle of a kids layout but I thought it was a good example of kits put together very well

post-773-126822087433_thumb.jpg

Shillingford (Must not store this as yet another layout idea !!!)

post-773-126822088537_thumb.jpg

post-773-126822089302_thumb.jpg

Talyllyn Road

post-773-126822090477_thumb.jpg

Temple Dean

post-773-12682209193_thumb.jpg

Welton down.

post-773-126822093008_thumb.jpg

post-773-126822094037_thumb.jpg

Starting a Monday at my normal pace of thinking what can I get up to at the weekend, and not having been to any exhibitions in some time, I had a quick look and found Abrail 2010

I have not checked with my Wife yet if we are doing anything but fingers crossed I am going to get myself there for 10 on Saturday. Anyone else likely to be putting in an appearence?

Last year there was a guy demonstrating DCC Sound at Abingdon, I think he blows the sounds for Howes. He gave me a card but I seem to have lost it, anyone know who he is and how I can get hold of him.

Charlie P

Together with two friends I went to Abingdon on Saturday and had a good day. I agree with Grahame's comments about the exhorbitant price of tea. £1.60 is very steep, but the staff were very helpful!! Obviously nothing to do with the host Club I realise.

Generally, there was a high standard of layouts, especially, "Burton Bradstock", "Aldbury Town" & "Bishop Wearburn". I did feel there were too many N gauge layouts for my taste however. One of my mates was very disappointed that there were no decent size 4mm Roundy-Roundys, and I must say I think that kind of layout improves the balance of a show, as not everyone is rivetted by endless shunting. Anyway, well done to the organisers for all their hard work!

Archived