Adventures with London Transport in N gauge

The Western Master

• 1 month later...

Very interesting. I'm confident it's a Dapol pannier tank, would guess a Radley Metrovic loco but not sure if the tube train is Corgi or Shapeways 3D.

So go on, spill the beans. Tell us about the project.

G.

Very interesting. I'm confident it's a Dapol pannier tank, would guess a Radley Metrovic loco but not sure if the tube train is Corgi or Shapeways 3D.

So go on, spill the beans. Tell us about the project.

G.

Corgi model with Tomytec power unit in motor car. Trailers use kato bogies. Painting as 1959 stock. Not strictly accurate but doing this to a budget.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Metrovic and 30 ton flat are Parkwood, nice job of Sarah by the way, the coaches to run behind are the old Farish suburbans painted brown, They will also pass for T stock as well just modify the brake end to a driving cab, remove the side duckets and add driving cab door windows with handrails, on the end remove detail and add plastic card, when dry form a shallow three panel bow end, cut the three driving windows and add detail (depends on batch build). Front chassis, remove buffers and add centre coupler, also add pickup beams to motor coach bogies, motorise to choice.

Steve S.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Western Master. Reference your interesting 4-car underground stock, I've just bought the Radley Models version (in red), and am sourcing the Tomytec 10 power unit. Could I ask: what you used for bogies, and how you have coupled up the cars? Regards, dluc .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Western Master. Reference your interesting 4-car underground stock, I've just bought the Radley Models version (in red), and am sourcing the Tomytec 10 power unit. Could I ask: what you used for bogies, and how you have coupled up the cars? Regards, dluc .

Hi dluc

I used Kato bogies. You can buy 3 pairs for around £12 on ebay including postage. They're probably not the most accurate but they are sufficiently low so that they do not look weird when on the track

Hope this helps

I used Kato bogies. You can buy 3 pairs for around £12 on ebay including postage. They're probably not the most accurate but they are sufficiently low so that they do not look weird when on the track

Hope this helps

If possible, please can you post any side-on photos of your tube stock on these bogies?

Personally, I've been put off going for the recent 3D printed tube stock bodies, purely because the ride height is too high on normal bogies IMHO. The bodies are nicely detailed and look fine, but for me the overall look is ruined by the ride height.

• 2 weeks later...

If possible, please can you post any side-on photos of your tube stock on these bogies?

Personally, I've been put off going for the recent 3D printed tube stock bodies, purely because the ride height is too high on normal bogies IMHO. The bodies are nicely detailed and look fine, but for me the overall look is ruined by the ride height.

Won't be able to post photos for a bit as they are currently in safe storage following a change of location but I will conceed that the ride height is not great . The issue is trying to get them to rotate freely and sufficiently to tackle 1st radius while at the same time achieving realistic height which is not easy to do....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Things are a bit quiet on the modelling front right now as I've started a new job near Banbury. However, I'm still quietly working at stock for my eventual layout as the singular pannier tank I had before now has 2 brothers. One was a non-runner from DCC supplies but for £12.50, I think that's not bad. This will either be repaired if I can or the motor will be removed entirely for use in double headers. It is shortly to be dispatched to GC Loco weathering to be renumbered as I currently have two L97 locos. I'm tempted to have renumbered as L93 as I am a child of 1993 but we'll see...

In other news, I picked up a LifeLike SW8 switcher from ebay which may become a second Metrovick Bo-Bo as time allows. 

Otherwise I'm stuck in the dilemma of how to get some Dreadnought coaches together for loco-hauled trains. The 3 options are;

1) Repaint Graham Farish suburban stock in brown with red ends on brake coaches with additional detailing as required (easy but I'd like something a bit more accurate)

2) Build Wolsey Works etches into model (only have 1 set and no experience of building brass kits, nevermind the fact that I have to find a lot of extra details as they are scratbuilding aids only)

3) Pluck up courage and learn how to 3d design and look at 3D prints....

Still, with 7 weeks of nothing interesting on telly to look forward too, I may find some extra time on my hands....

Happy modelling y'all...

P.s. Facebook's 'On this day' feature brought up some photos I'd completley forgotten about from Acton Open Day 2013, celebrating 150 years of the underground. The layout is definitely London Road and I believe the 5 inch gauge may be connected to the work LTCambrian has previously done...

post-2997-0-52052300-1492684496_thumb.jpg

post-2997-0-79617200-1492684503_thumb.jpg

post-2997-0-61619500-1492684516_thumb.jpg

post-2997-0-53969400-1492684523_thumb.jpg

post-2997-0-48414200-1492684529_thumb.jpg

post-2997-0-17535900-1492684536_thumb.jpg

post-2997-0-68955100-1492684603_thumb.jpg

post-2997-0-91185400-1492684607_thumb.jpg

post-2997-0-25062400-1492684615_thumb.jpg

post-2997-0-72639800-1492684621_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Western Master

• 1 year later...

2 years... bit of a while to wait. Progress continues every so often in between various escapades.

Amongst other projects seen elsewhere on this forum, my brother produced this 10T wagon with tank. This is built on a Micro Trains test car bought on EBay. My brother has done the main construction work and changed the Kadee couplers to Elsies and I'm now in the process of painting...

20190328_094755.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just stumbled across this. Great to see your efforts at Sarah, brought back some good memories of the 100th anniversary run to Chesham.  I must of been 2 or 3 year's old at the time and I can still remember all the excitement from that day. 

IMG_20190530_215213.jpg.dec4cc824418f638e8542f2d49a7dc4c.jpg

All the best

Dave

• Like 1