Wigan Wallgate

katwigan

Nice. I lived in Westhoughton and would take the train through Wallgate to Kirby and change to the Merseyrail electrics to get to Uni in Liverpool. I'd use Wallgate to get to model shops in Wigan and to transfer to North Western.

What era are you modeling? All I remember in the 70's and early 80's was DMU after DMU with the occasional binliner to Appley Bridge and trains to the MOD depot on the Southport line.

I'm looking forward to seeing this develop.

Regards,

John P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Strangely enough one of the first exhibition layouts I operated was a model of Wallgate built by Mike Edge. He may still have some of the info on the layout. He is on RMWeb as Michael Edge.

Good location to model and just enough room to do it in.

Looking forward to updates

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Like it, even though I'm more WR myself.

The important thing is to compress the scenery sufficiently to get the Uncle Joe's Mint Balls advert in! Sorry I don't have a photo but I'm sure one of the more local RMwebbers will have.

Paul.

Hi all, thanks for the comments,

jpendle,

I am basing the model around late 40's Nationalization time, enabling me to run a mix of LMS and BR liveries. I have had to take a couple of liberties in the layout design besides bending the whole thing abnormally I have had to omit a small bit at this stage ie: the line heading for Liverpool  so unless I can convince SWMBO who shares the inner area of the room for her Paper Tole and card making activities it may end up being " deemed totally unnecessary" well in advance of Dr. Beeching's activities .

Barry O

I was in communication with Michael Edge a couple of years ago, he sent me a load of his original photos of relevant buildings etc unfortunately at the time he couldn't find any of the model, would love to have seen them.

Manna,

Cheers ,hopefully I can keep it moving along. ( Hey they got real adventurous with the street names around you didn't they? Sorry mate  I had to look Booborowie up, I bet it got a bit warm up your way recently)

Mezzoman,

Had a look at your Burnt Mills topic, I can see why the reference was made from both a track plan and atmospheric point of view. I am trying to approach this as a model of Wigan that just happens to be centred around Wallgate station.

5BarVT

How could I build Wallgate and not have this in pride of place ?

post-19569-0-98530500-1451652787_thumb.jpg

And if you obviously know where Uncle Joes is you'll know where Coops building is. ( Must try finishing these buildings before starting more )

post-19569-0-14168500-1451653694.jpg

Eventually I am hoping to model as far West as what was Walker Bros. Pagefield Ironworks, coming into the station past the Prescott St Engine Sheds and out to the east side to the Gas Works and the junction with the WCML and the line to Manchester. 

I have managed to find a track plan, not the one I was looking for but if you stare at it long enough all will become clear ( or Green in this case )

post-19569-0-18467200-1451653396.jpg

Cheers 

Kevan

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see this progressing, your plan inluding the exchange yard rather than the loco shed looks more interesting than mine was. Lots of new photographs and operating information in a new book - Wigan L&Y Motive Power Depot by Chris Coates. I notice your plan omits the turntable in Wallgate yard, i left mine as just the pit but this new book does say that it was in use in the 1950s at least.

LNW main line N of Wigan was and still is only double track, not four as you have shown.

G'day folks,

Michael,

sorry while it looks like 4 lines going north the two outer ones I think were showing the extremities of the embankment, unfortunately I still havent been able to find the better trackplan which is somewhat clearer (well it's certainly not b. green )

I think trying to get the turntable in would make the boards somewhat too wide, so I may have to lay just part of the approach road to it, havent really done any trackwork in that area yet.

I will have to have a look for that book, We are coming to the UK in August for a wedding  (In Cardiff ) I am hoping to get back home though for a few days then .

I must tidy up the whole layout and get some updated though still sparse photos 

Ian,

there is a bit of a mix of scalescenes brickwork and actual photos of building gleened from many hours of trawling through the web.

Coops ( the large yellowy coloured building)  is a result of many many hours cutting and pasting on the pc , the whole building is developed from one good sized photo of the main entrance section of the building

post-19569-0-81706500-1451771111.jpg

The wall sections are multiple layers of card and if I hadn't come across the Silhoutte Cameo cutting machine I dont think I would ever have attempted to do this. The coloured outer skin was the photo printed onto self adhesive A4 label paper and stuck onto the card layer, because the program with the cutter can also drive the printer it picks registration marks up after printing and when loaded into the cutter cuts the window, doorway openings exactly where I had drawn them in the program. ( Or is all that another clear as mud description ) Have a look at " A guide to using the Silhouette cutter" started by JCL in "Scenery, Structures & Transport" on here , sorry haven't figured links out yet

All of the window openings were cut out on it each layer having exactly the same sized opening while the layer behind were in exactly the spot but were smaller.

The window frames themselves were drawn up and cut out of the same A4 label paper, so far none of them have tried to lift off the clear acetate glass material

The colouring of the window frames was achieved with a product I stole from my wife's side of the workbench called " distressing ink" this was applied with a fine sponge while all the frames were still attached to the full sheet of paper. The ink appears to be applied almost dry comes in a range of colours and out here is available from paper craft shops ( usually full of a selection of ladies all chatting until " arggh a male has entered our shop"  )

post-19569-0-42472100-1451772609.jpg

This one is also developed from a photo of the building itself, then I got carried away making 1948 Bendix washing machines etc, ( Deb kept looking at me and shaking her head, I dunno, do you?)

Thanks to all for the interest and comments, hopefully I can keep the drivel down and the pics and progress up.

Cheers 

Kevan

• Like 9

Hi Kevan,

What an excellent start to your new thread and layout. Being a Wiganer myself (and still living here) I shall follow your thread with much interest! I really like your buildings, especially the Uncle Joe's factory. I wonder if your factory has a secret recipe for making those delicious sweets? ;)

Anyway, it's looking excellent. Keep the updates flowing!

Chris :) 

A superb model of my local town station(s). It's coming along well and I particularly like how you have replicated the buildings. I can almost smell those wonderful Poole's steak pies !!

Katwigan If I remember correctly we briefly contacted each other by email a couple years ago, however I lost your email in a computer crash - but never mind your here now on probably the best model railway web site there is.

I seemed to remember you asking for photos of Wigan Gas Works, well, I found a few recently, taken just before demolition in 1973 by my dad, who was the photographer at the Wigan Observer. Unfortunately the negs are 2" square (8 on 120) but I have managed to scan them using my 35mm scanner, so some bits are missing, however they are sharp. I'll either post them here if you wish, or put on a thread I started just before Christmas dedicated to the railways of Wigan & Leigh.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105787-railways-around-wigan-leigh-the-surrounding-areas/&do=findComment&comment=2117604

I've a bit of stuff to scan and put on that thread for the Wigan area, just not had the time over Christmas. Not sure If I have any Wallgate stuff, I'll let you know if I do

Wigan GC at Lower Ince is my interest, I'm making a small layout of the Darlington St - Lower Ince station bit along with a bit of the Springs Branch.

Regards, Brit15

Hi all,

Whenever I had shown my mother whatever it was I was working on or if I said I wasn't happy with something I'd done because it wasn't quite right she would say  " well who the heck will know the difference anyway all the way out here (Adelaide Sth Oz )" 

Now I find I've got half the modellers from Wigan on this site, Oh Great ! BUT Thank you all for the encouraging support, it is truly appreciated.

(That's got the crawling out of the way )

Wigancg

Haven't got the recipe but wouldn't it be great to have the room filled with the aroma,hmm :scratchhead: mind you it's a good job that they're not easy to get out here otherwise I'd get nothing done!

Apollo,

Yes I do remember 'talking' with you, however similarly having changed computers I could'nt find your email address. I have pm'd you with mine.

I would certainly appreciate the Gas works stuff, havent done much in that area yet but I did get a few very grainy copies from the History shop taken in the late 40's just as the new, larger retort house was being built.

Speaking of pies we came to Oz in 1964 leaving from Orrell, in 2005 I brought Deb my second wife back home we drove to Orrell and the smell & subsequent taste of the meat and potato pies in a small bakehouse near the top of Gathurst rd was exactly how I remembered it, amazing after all those years!! I think it's been closed down now  :O

I had a quick look at your Wigan & Leigh Railways link , there's some wonderful history all over there, great stuff.

I like everyone else I guess haven't managed to achieve much over the last week or two but as we have now had the last of any get together's and Deb is working tomorrow ( and I'M NOT, aww ) I am planning a trip up to the best of only 3 or 4 model railway shops around Adelaide, unfortunately it's about 1 1/2 hour drive from here, but he has a good selection of British Outline rather than the predominately American HO scale stuff all of which the Australian Railways look like.

Just a quick one before I go, this scene absolutely cried out to be modelled exactly as shown, found the photo of this building on Wigan World, had to model it anyway. In the original there are two people with shopping bags stood below the workers looking up at them, 'elf and safety, nor in't fifties mate!

post-19569-0-81617300-1451867066.jpg

Cheers

Kevan

• Like 7

Katwigan - I also miss that pie shop - Broxton Ave if I remember correctly. The butter pies were delicious but heavy work, if you ate two that was it, no work that afternoon !!

Hardly any "local" pie shops now, just the big names, Greggs, Greenhalghs etc. Poole's pies were pies to die for though !!!

Uncle Joe is still going strong, and the factory still emits that delicious minty smell whilst walking past when they are having a boiling session !!. When I visit town I park at Frog Lane and walk in past Uncle Joes and Wallgate station. Little has changed there over the years. The old county courts is now a small theatre, with a bar downstairs in the holding cells !!. Was there a few weeks ago to hear the 80's group "Space"  !!

Anyway, thanks for your PM and I have emailed the Wigan gas works photos to you. For others who may be interested I'll put them on the Wigan thread here ASAP.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105787-railways-around-wigan-leigh-the-surrounding-areas/&do=findComment&comment=2117604

I await to see your Liverpool Exchange to Newcastle restaurant car express and the crack Southport to Manchester businessman's expresses, both hauled usually by Bank Hall "Jubilees".

Brit15

Broxton Ave. it was Apollo, we  lived in Coniston ave. which was a continuation of Broxton if I recall correctly. I remember having to almost walk sideways in to the shop to get served it was that small !

Received the photos, thank you I have a couple of them ( v. poor copies though) will add them to my growing folder of info.

I guess because I was only 10 when we left Wigan I am a bit sparse on info regarding the build up of trains etc that passed through,

So anyone with info regarding that sort of thing would be greatly appreciated.

I do have a Mainline version of "orion" that was circulating with 6 or 7 carriages behind, haven't converted her to DCC yet though since going down that route.   I'll have to look up Bank Hall motive power. 

Off out to see the man at OZ Rail for a bit of what the ladies call Retail Therapy

Kevan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,Gee it doesn't take long to slip along way down the listing on here does it? down 10 pages in a fortnight.

Anyway I've been pottering around in the corner at the back of Wallgate shops recently.

After seeing the article on bending points and diamond crossings I decided to have a go at re-laying the pointwork in the area below Wallgate that has been irritating me for sometime.

I have a number of photos of the area all of which appear to show a predilection for ripping up full scale pointwork and relaying it in a different configuration.

This photo shows the area in question

post-19569-0-40021900-1453293828.jpg

The end result of bending the diamond to fit on the curve certainly looks a lot better than what I had there previously.

post-19569-0-77999500-1453293885_thumb.jpg

In actual fact I'm very happy that I found the top photo because I'm sure there is a single slip shown in that position in one of the other pics and I certainly didn't fancy trying to bend one of those.

A view across the tracks in the same area

post-19569-0-65982200-1453294066_thumb.jpg

should have the Wigginers asking "Wurst Iron Bridge" Answer is it's half built,but has been sat to one side for so long it's now all bent and bowed

A picture taken during initial build

post-19569-0-01740200-1453293960.jpg

Fortunately if I can't straighten it at least the Silhouette Cameo cutter can cut out all the lattice work for me again.

If anyone is wondering why there is a brass hook sticking up alongside the County Playhouse it's because that whole section that in the corner that I am working on can be lifted out by that hook as the boards either side of this corner are 3' wide making it impossible to get at the back area in the corner. The whole corner area is made of a combination of foamboard and a plasticy sort of corrugated cardboard. Both being very light and quite strong if supported / reinforced adequately.

I will have to come up with a way of disguising the hook once I get the rest of the buildings on there. 

I have been working on one of the buildings the last couple of days (The bank on the corner of Wallgate and King st ) lots of cutting and pasting of some Google Street view photos, I was reasonably happy until I tried to print it out!

Irit # 1:  I recently installed Windows 10, the new driver to suit my Epson printer is B hopeless from a facility and sizing point of view!

Irit  # 2: I think the new  non-original Ink cartridges that the man said were equal to the originals AREN'T

The photo

( PAuse at this point while I calm down having just lost everything I had written  - then I found " View Auto Saved Content" Oh frabjous day.)

As I was saying the photo below shows the difference between a printout using non-original ink on the left and Epson ink on the right, the photo doesn't do the actual prints justice !

The poor one looks even worse than shown 'in the flesh' and the better one looks better than shown ! 

post-19569-0-87826600-1453293734_thumb.jpg

That will teach me to be a cheapskate,  I'll put it together and see how it looks and find my camera instead of this phone.

Anyway it's been to sodding hot to get out in the garden recently  ( awww ) and with any luck it will be back in the mid 30's again this weekend ( Awwww )

Cheers

Kevan

• Like 6

G'day Gents

Still watching your progress, and good it looks to, been very hot here, packed all my socks and jumpers away, probably won't be needing them for another couple of months.

As you say, not very adventurous with the street names, but lots of small Aussie towns have the same street names.

manna