Alcanman goes OBB

Alcanman

Last week Santa Claus kindly brought me a Roco OBB 2143. When I woke up this morning I found my layout had been transported to Austria!  I obviously drank to much Lowenbrau last night.

Oh dear! I fear I may have caught the OBB bug.

Happy New Year

post-7898-0-42775400-1451649951_thumb.jpg

Mal

Hi Mal,

You can't beat a bit of OBB!

It's nice to see that another 'American' modeller is taking up Euro modelling too (I'm glad I'm not the only one!).

The good things about Euro modelling are - no import duty to pay and it's easy & cheap to get over there.

Bad thing is, you have to deal with buffers again!

Cheers,

John E.

Very tempted myself, but, far too much Bavarian stock/locos to change at the moment hmmm ?

These European manufactured models seem to be pretty bullet proof too with excellent running enjoy !

I am very impressed with the level of detail, running qualities and sound  (Zimo) of the loco. Prices, presumably due to the stronger pound, seem to be very reasonable and good value considering the quality. 

It's probably about 25 years since I last built an OBB layout, inspired by Ian Futers 'Altausee and Traunsee' layouts.  Here's a couple of pics from 1990 with a Klein Modellbahn 2143 and 2067.

I like to think I've improved my modelling skills in the last 25 years.

post-7898-0-21624600-1451653086_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-78006600-1451653106_thumb.jpg

Do you know?

It's about 25 years since I previously modelled Austrian!

I didn't get as far scenicly as you did but for me, I built quite a decent layout and had the most fun. Sadly most of my original stock was sold to help fund a trip to the US but I never forgot the running qualities of Roco. Today's stuff is really awesome though.

Cheers,

John.

Hello Alcanman,

I do like your pictures.

I have the Roco 2143 too. Lovely!

My latest acquisition is a Roco OBB 2067 which runs superbly. Sound ain't bad either!

What firm makes that superb snowy mountain backdrop please?

Thanks very much,

Peter

Thanks Peter. A sound fitted Roco 2067 is also on my shopping list.

The background is done in photoshop. The layout does not have a printed background. The trees in rhe foreground are real, of course.

Mal I do hope you overcome this terrible affliction soon!! :(

Nah, seriously - a change is as good as a rest, & your layout certainly works in it's new surroundings!! :D

My own Continental 'diversion' would be Dutch NS, following a holiday there years ago. Model prices were a great dis-incentive! Now, price gaps bave closed up - although from an O Scale viewpoint, all HO prices look like bargains!! and, again being in O, I don't want a diversion in another scale.

Said it before, but those of us in the UK inclined to look at railways beyond our shores, are likely to find EU-outline as interesting as US-outline. :yes: so go for it - we'll be watching!! ;)

I did feel the need for a change as you've suggested, Jordan.  Having built several US and UK themed layouts over the past few years, I wanted to try something different and Austrian Railways has been an interest of mine for many years.

There still, however, may be a connection with my US modelling, in that I'm thinking of using a track plan similar to my old CSX Palmetto Spur layout. Probably, won't start building until the Spring. Meantime, I can run OBB trains on my 'generic' layout.

The layout is only at the planning/research stage at the moment. It will be my usual 9ft x 15ins and I envisage a contemporary non-electrified branch line which has lost it's passenger service.

I'd like to include a timber siding and a cement loading siding. Also a distribution warehouse like this one at Zell am See. The pic was taken in 1995 and I'm wondering if these local freight depots are still around in 2016?

Any information or suggestions for a location would be welcome.

post-7898-0-47981900-1451732847_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-23796300-1451732886_thumb.jpg

ps. I think the rail worker looks like a posed Prieser figure!

There are still plenty of individual industrial sidings, some even still visible on main lines, though less so as new high-speed tracks are installed. They way to see them now is to use Regional trains. Raffeisen depots offer a more varied modelling opportunity.

There are still plenty of individual industrial sidings, some even still visible on main lines, though less so as new high-speed tracks are installed. They way to see them now is to use Regional trains. Raffeisen depots offer a more varied modelling opportunity.

Thanks for the info. It's go to know that individual industrial sidings are still in exiistence. I'll check out the Raffeisen depots.

When I first visited Austria in 1989, it was common for a small freight depot to be situated alongside the Bahnhof such as this one at Seefeld in Tirol. The structure looks quite modern.

post-7898-0-17400700-1451824530_thumb.jpg

Beer was being unloaded from the sliding wall van.

post-7898-0-54091000-1451824830_thumb.jpg

In this pic, the van has departed leaving the 2 tank wagons. Not sure if they were to be unloaded into lorries or simply waiting to be picked up by a local freight. Nice weathering on the tankers.

post-7898-0-25402300-1451824865_thumb.jpg

This is the kind of small operation that I find fascinating.

Austria is a good choice - even present day is easily modelled with 2016 , 2068 and 2070 diesels for trip freight workings , the 2016s also work on local passenger push-pull trains with "City Shuttle" single deck coaches , and then you have 5047 railcars, all of which are available RTR.

In addition , there are the various private operators that have appeared on the the scene such as WLB and StLB , and if a suitable location is chosen the possibility of cross-border traffic with the likes of Hungary , Slovakia , Czech Republic or Slovenia - models are available of the Czech and Slovak diesels that used to be seen working as far as Wien (ZSR class 754 "goggle").

Austria is indeed a good choice, with a great deal available in HO and a pretty good selection in N. It's also advantageous that there's considerable cross-border working by both ÖBB and DB as well as private operators, giving variety. Austrian 760mm narrow gauge modelling is well-represented in HOe. Prototype information is easily accessed, especially via the Austrian Railway Group. John

My last OBB layout was a std gauge passing station with timber loading facilities.

Here are 3 sample pics. The locos, wagons and carriages are Roco, the Class 5022 unit is by Piko.

Because lots of Austria is still diesel worked it is not imperative to install catenary. A time and money saver!

post-11449-0-32187300-1451853807.jpg

post-11449-0-02006100-1451853830.jpg

post-11449-0-15667800-1451853848.jpg

And for earlier periods, there's quite a lot of steam outline and heritage diesel models available. There's a sound preservation scene in Austria. A good starting point for info is www.oegeg.at, the website of ÖGEG (Austrian Society for Railway History).

Archived