Alcanman goes OBB

Alcanman

Looking for further inspiration for my layout, I came upon a couple of short videos which reminded me of why I found the OBB appealing back in the day.

Firstly, short loco hauled branch passenger trains. (This one is a bit different however - turn up your speakers! )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukqn3catS7Q&list=WL&index=3

Secondly, short diesel hauled freight trains and a nice bit of shunting in perfect weather and scenery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO7uP99dO2w&index=1&list=WL

They weren't hanging about in that first vid were they and great sound.

Enjoyed the second vid too, the beautiful surroundings, mountains in the background and that charming loco shed.

What was the green coach/wagon in the stake train? a brakeman's car?

• RMweb Gold

I should stop following this thread NOW before I get tempted into a new modelling diversion. I last visited Austria in 1975 and found the railways as interesting as any in Europe and, as others have commented, lots of fine models available.

41 years on, we are going to Vienna for a few days in April. Which streets do I need to avoid if I am not to be tempted into a model shop?

Here's a few more pics to tempt you, Joseph.

Who can resist a Crocodile. When I vistied Austria in1989 and1990 OBB 1020s were still very much in evidence. However, when I next visited in 1995 they were, sadly, gone.

post-7898-0-96497300-1452084895_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-17244600-1452084954_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-58226600-1452084984_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Here's a few more pics to tempt you, Joseph.

Who can resist a Crocodile. When I vistied Austria in1989 and1990 OBB 1020s were still very much in evidence. However, when I next visited in 1995 they were, sadly, gone.

attachicon.gifOBB 1020 003 Mittenwald 1989.jpg

attachicon.gif1020 030 Kitzbuhel 1990.jpg

attachicon.gif1020 013 Westendorf 1990.jpg

Yes, I do like the Crocodiles and there were plenty still running when I was last in Austria (1975). But if I do go for a sideline Austrian project, it will have to be a branch line and probably diesel.

For travellers to Wien who definitely don't want to visit model railway retailers, it's particularly important to avoid Hilpert-Spielwaren at Schulerstraße 1, Memoba at Ägidgasse 5, ZINA's Modelleisenbahnen at Hilschergasse 1, Hobby-Technik at Marxergasse 12, Bahn & Hobby at Brünnerstraße 108, Das Spielzeug für bog Boys at Thaliastraße 78 or Andy of The Kleinbahn Shops, especially the Branch at Schottenring 1, which for those not wishing to see things is very close to a tram stop on the main ring so best to look away. Hope that helps to prevent the spread of the dreaded Austrian model railway bug.

I used to have a HO layout called Glatzau on the exhibition circuit in the late 90s/early 2000s representing a non-electrified branch terminus in Steiermark, complete with Klein Modellbahn 2143s and Roco 2045s/2048s. I've since moved to British N gauge but this thread has got me looking longingly at Arnold's 5047 and 2050 and the Jagendorfer 2043. Must resist!

Yes, I do like the Crocodiles and there were plenty still running when I was last in Austria (1975). But if I do go for a sideline Austrian project, it will have to be a branch line and probably diesel.

Hi all,

That's my plan too and yet most of my Austrian locos are electric, including two 1020 Kroks!

I have a couple of 2067's and that's it for now but hopefully a pair of modern centre cabs will turn up soon (Hecktor?)

That's if I can resist the lure of Polish railways!

Sorry to go o.t.

John.

Ps is Kleinbahn or Klein modellebahn still going? I thought Roco had taken them over?

Re Clay Country's post, I've an Arnold 5047 which is a lovely model and beautiful performer even on the two steep inclines of my Regensburg Süd layout, indeed better than my Fleischmann 5022 desiro set. (OK, it's in Bavaria but a lot of Austrian stock gets there. I've also Jägendorfer 2043 & 2143 Loks, which also excellent. I believe that they're bringing out ÖBB double deckers, which look good with Fleischmann Hercules or Fleischmann or Minitrix Taurus Loks. But there you already have the nucleus of a modern diesel ÖBB branch: 5022 & 5047 dmus and Hercules and 2043/2143 Loks plus the Minitrix Hector. Mainline coaches are already available (which can be used on secondary lines) and there has been talk of Mende bringing out CityShuttle modified Schlieren sets, as well as the afore-mentioned Dostos. Enough to keep anyone busy and there's still the Elloks for those who like catenary.

Indeed that happened with Kleinmodellbahn. Kleinbahn is a separate company, formed when two brothers split. Kleinbahn is very much at the cheaper end of the market, eg moulded rather than separately-applied pipework, but is priced accordingly. In my experience the Kleinbahn models are pretty robust albeit untwined by modern standards. Although I've one Lok, I mainly use their HO model wagons as loads for Rollwagen on my HOe layout, for which they are both ideal and economical.

Hi John,

Kleinmodellbahn stopped production about 4 years ago (I think they went into receivership) Roco seem to have picked up some of their range.

Nick

Some of the later Klein Modellbahn models were well detailed, almost to Roco standards. They were available from Winco in the UK.

Kleinbahn can only be bought from their shops in Austria

One of my favourite wagons was the OBB Uacs bogie cement wagon. Looks like Roco have used the Klein mouldings for this one.

post-7898-0-56361700-1452169193_thumb.jpg

Here's a Uacs cement wagon at Seefeld 1989

post-7898-0-75501700-1452169453_thumb.jpg

Thanks Alcan man.

At the moment I am making a new project layout for Model Rail magazine based on Derbyshire (so there's no OBB Class 2043s or 2067 there!) but after that I have plans for a new layout which will be pan European. I very much like Ian Futer's Neumarkt layout from CM Jan 2001 and may incorporate some of the principles from that.

There again when I was in Switzerland last I bought some 3.5mm footpath signs so I need to build another rural Swiss layout for them to go on too!

When I go to the Nuremberg Toy Fair in a few weeks time I fly to Linz and hope to squeeze a day's trainspotting in OBBLand before taking the direct ICE from Linz to Nuremberg.

Kind regards,

Pete

Sounds Great, Pete. I still have a copy of the Ian Futers Neumarkt article in CM. As a big fan of small layouts, I think the Neumarkt plan is a classic layout design.

Enjoy your trip to Nuremberg.

regards,

Mal

Jon. The track plan is identical to Ian's 'Newcastle Haymarket' layout and also several small O gauge layouts he built later.

Using only 3 points, there is an island platform with 2 tracks, a kick back siding and 2 tracks leading to a storage yard.

Operation consists of short passenger trains terminating at one of the 2 platforms, then a shunter pulls back the coaches to release the train loco.

Very simple but effective operation. Neumarkt had only 6ft of scenic area plus storage yard.

Indeed, the track formation has had several manifestations and Ian has over the years demonstrated how three Y-points can be used as very effective space savers, the Y-points facilitating a wide enough gap for platforms, etc.

By changing buildings, signage, etc., it can readily be adapted for modelling a great many and widely differing locations. If suchlike is removeable, the same baseboard can then even be used to swop countries at will.

John

John has indeed highlighted what I am intending to do. Build a terminus stations on arcaded walls that be used as a UK or European layout.

Modeller dated Sept 13 contained pictures and plans of various of these Ian Futers ideas.

Kind regards

Peter

Archived