br green match - Bachmann?

I am looking to update a Bachmann a4 in the future with a replacement non-corridor tender. 

Unfortunately the tender I have is LNER blue so it will need repainting when the time comes - I was just wanting to know what is the closest match to Bachmann BR Green or is there a way I could reproduce it as close as possible?

I recently converted a BR green Bachmann class 44 to a class 45 with connecting doors by fitting cast white metal indicator boxes.

To avoid the trouble of repainting the off white bodyside detail, I masked off at the cab door line and airbrushed the ends with Pheonix Precision late BR green. It was almost an exact match.

So, assuming that Bachmann diesel green is the same as they apply to steam and you are trying to match late green, I would recommend Pheonix Precision.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I would experiment with different undercoats first on a scrap piece of plastic or an old wagon a similar colour to the garter blue.

A grey undercoat will result in a different shade of green.. lighter..compared to a red oxide.. richer..and just to confuse things the colour stated on the tins is

matched on white undercoat. 

When you've finished even if you want it fairly pristine a gentle waft of the airbrush with a bit of light weathering (black/leather) across the frames and partly up the sides should do the trick and probably improve the appearance too.

If its still a bit two tone a semi matt varnish over the entire loco. 

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived