Larbert

vitalspark

I go off to the Isle of Skye for a few days to ensure the New Year is celebrated in traditional style (where broadband is lamentably slow and the local Vodafone mast fails with monotonous regularity) and I return to find that what Auberon Waugh described as the "chattering classes" or is it what Nigel Lawson called "City Scribblers" have been teasing readers about our nascent Edinburgh Princes Street to Dundee West end to end DCC T gauge layout to be built on a revolutionary concentric concept. (Do not be misled, dear readers, by deceitful mention of other broad or narrow gauges)

For info, this approach will allow full reproduction of the Glenfarg tunnels and bridges, Perth General station in its entirety (other than the goods relief lines to the north) and Perth (south) shed (to hold all the Duchesses) but the Forth Bridge has had to be sacrificed due to no-one within the membership having small enough fingers or good enough eyesight to build it to any reasonable standard at 1:450. One bit of strategically placed water will serve as all of the Forth, the Tay and Loch Leven. Loch Leven castle will be sound-chipped for lapping water, creaking rowlocks and hushed voices for a re-enactment of Mary Queen of Scots (the actual lady, not 37401) escape therefrom. Other novelty features will include a tempting whiff of fish and chips from the chippie on St Leonards bridge above Perth Station and period music from a waiting passenger's transistor radio at Cowdenbeath.

I see the use of pasting tables to pass as base-boards has already been rumbled but I'm surprised no-one has yet twigged the use of a poor cardboard cut-out of Mr Franks  ..... or is it a cardboard cut-out of poor Mr Franks.

• Like 2

What are you doing still up at this time? Could ye no sleep....

Dave Franks.

Me? I've been oot visiting, it's the new year you know.

Im just in with the dug..the big furry one.

..anyway best time of night to get peace to do a bit of ongoing work to my Class 100.

A skim of filler and wet and dry the dome on the trailer..stuff all over the dining room table..water everywhere..old bits of filthy kitchen roll on the floor..and Sue fast asleep..great!

D

• RMweb Gold

Why do I always get dragged into these things....

EM - Extra Mental

Dave Franks

Hoping there is only one curved scissors to make, now where are my gauges. Hmm, OOBF, OOSF, OO4F, OOFF, EM, EM-2, EMF, EMF-2, S4, P4, ahhh, there it is - 'Peco Universal', everything will run on that,  or so they told us back in the 70s.

EMF - Unbelievable...

Also don't forget OO-FOFF.

If this layout is anything like as good as Alloa it will be worth waiting for.

What? Mr. F employing you as his barber now?

"Time for bed", said Zebedee.

P

Now now Paul, just remember you'll need your passport stamped when you come to Glasgow, just one word in Nicola's ear and you can be barred from crossing the border...

Dave Franks

P.S. I cut me own hair.

Now now Paul, just remember you'll need your passport stamped when you come to Glasgow, just one word in Nicola's ear and you can be barred from crossing the border...

That's not what worries me. It's once I cross onto the Tartan side my own lot won't let me back in.

P.S. I cut me own hair.

That's why you've got so much time for modelling.  (and acting).

post-508-0-60508900-1451831486.gif

With apologies to the original photographer & Charles M Shultz.

P

• Like 1

post-2371-0-87534800-1451863130_thumb.jpg

Class 100... most interesting... what are you building it from?

Alasdair

Etched brass sides and ends supplied by Worsley Works.

Obviously not a kit and needs a fair degree of tweaking but a great basis to build an accurate (hopefully) model.

Will post when complete..currently working on profile of front dome on the trailer car and fitting rains trips.

On our new project ..Larbert..Gloucesters figure quite prominently.

Dave. 

Attached image..waiting for next skim of filler to dome then wet & dry and fit gutters/rainstrips.

post-2371-0-87534800-1451863130_thumb.jpg

Dave.

Edited by vitalspark

Thanks: look forward with much interest to seeing progress.  I remember travelling in the Gloucesters on the North Berwick services in the late 1960s, and I definitely need at least one set... preferably two... for "Newton Duns".  Problem is, there's already too much stock and not enough layout !

Alasdair

Hmmmph! Just returned from headquarters where we are busy prepping Daddy layout for Model Rail Scotland and it seems there is no appetite for the revolutionary concentric DCC T gauge end to end model of Edinburgh Princes Street to Dundee West so Larbert it is. Such is life. However, on the positive side, there is just so much stuff we can justify running through Larbert you'll need to come armed with your Ian Allan combined volume (or parts 3 and 4 if pocket money or Birthday and Christmas presents didn't stretch to such luxury) plus pen and ruler for neat underlining. Cops a-plenty!

On a serious note, info on Larbert much appreciated, particularly photos taken at known dates within late 50s early 60s time frame. 

• Like 1

Yes, I was told some time ago that even the 'Duke' had a run up that way but I don't think any group members have a one in OO.

Plenty LMS injuns with a goodly sprinkle of that funny looking LNE stuff. 

Dave Franks.

• Like 1

Yes, I was told some time ago that even the 'Duke' had a run up that way but I don't think any group members have a one in OO.

Dave Franks.

The Duke even made it to Aberdeen, I believe via the Strathmore route. There's a photo in George O'Hara's Scottish steam book.

Certainly tempted me to purchase the Hornby 8P!

• Like 1

"...no appetite for the revolutionary concentric DCC T gauge end to end model of Edinburgh Princes Street to Dundee West ..."

Now you tell me. After eating two giant sized Toblerones to use the boxes for one of the signature bridges! Good job I didn't mishear it a 'G' scale. Better find a use for this them

Ian

post-12232-0-07006000-1452168546.png

Dave Franks.

Indeed Dave, I copped the Duke on Stirling shed in the summer of '62 and yes we need one of our group to splash out - maybe the guy with all the Duchesses as he'll be wondering what entire class to acquire next! 

• Like 1

This sounds like it will be another cracking layout, that 100 looks good and will be different from the units available RTR. Always enjoy watching Alloa at shows.

All the best

Mark

Mark ,

If the tame electrician is playing trains on Alloa at Glasgow this year ; I know exactly where we have to stand . This will ensure to block a vital sight line .........

Best regards

Mike b :-)

• Like 1

Mark ,

If the tame electrician is playing trains on Alloa at Glasgow this year ; I know exactly where we have to stand . This will ensure to block a vital sight line .........

Best regards

Mike b :-)

Mr Spark will be confined to fiddle yard operation as too high a risk of SPADs

• Like 1