Larbert

vitalspark

While there is not a lot that can be seen, considerable work has been done to ensure perfect track alignments before fixing the track down, which is almost all completed now. We did have some issues with the track over baseboard joints but, hopefully, these have all been attended to now.

Only realised that my previous post was over one year ago! How time flies!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A few more pics of trains for Larbert, two views of the West Coast Postal headed by A2/3 60524 Herringbone

1974309651_IMGP0977(2).JPG.f11b1b6e2ff4dae3d55c3a862047a435.JPG

736363591_IMGP0974(3).JPG.1535d84b58fae8a1dd62b54d46d83162.JPG

and followed by the afternoon fish train with 46239 City of Chester in charge.

IMGP0990.JPG.a655a0e5be02f981aa282b457a78059b.JPG

• Like 19

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The surfaces are 2mm styrene we have a local company who can supply these sheets in larger sizes  (over 4ft by 2ft) The intention is that these will be scribed and detailed as required from photo evidence of the actual platforms. Obviously, they also provide the base upon which all the station buildings will be mounted.

On 22/09/2020 at 18:39, ScRSG said:

The surfaces are 2mm styrene we have a local company who can supply these sheets in larger sizes  (over 4ft by 2ft) The intention is that these will be scribed and detailed as required from photo evidence of the actual platforms. Obviously, they also provide the base upon which all the station buildings will be mounted.

Thanks. Probably a stupid question but do you file the profile shape of the platform or do you build the platform before you lay the track?

3 hours ago, 37403 said:

Thanks. Probably a stupid question but do you file the profile shape of the platform or do you build the platform before you lay the track?

The platforms were profiled to match the trackwork. One of our number  is a joiner who used a technique similar to scribing to match the platforms to the track. Difficult for me to describe but similar to the old dodge of attaching a pencil to the side of a coach and marking out the shape by running the coach along the track while the pencil draws the outline of the edge. Hope that makes some sense!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi.  

I’m pretty certain you will have seen it, but just in case not there was a colour picture of Larbert North signal box on the back cover of the July 2018 issue of Backtrack magazine.  Found when disposing of some back numbers.  I have kept the covers, just in case you want it.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Just a short report on some progress now that we have limited access back into the clubrooms.

The ballasted track has now all had a coat of track colour which has had the effect of harmonising the finish. This is just the first stage of weathering the track with more detailed work to be yet carried out such as grassy bits in little used sidings etc.

The point rodding has undergone a bit of a setback regarding the use of the Modelu rodding stools. As it was necessary to use the track colour to weather the track before the rods themselves could be put in place, this resulted in the 0.4mm square wire to no longer fit in the stools because of the coating of paint. Remedies were considered such as running an Xacto saw blade through each rodding stool to allow the wire to sit, but this was going to be a ludicrously tiresome exercise considering the number of stools in place. After some discussion regarding these stools, including their durability on an exhibition layout, and the methods of fixing the rods in the stools it was decided that, regrettably, these stools were not the answer for us. One of our members, vitalspark of this parish, did some research using the DCC Concepts rodding stools and we believe that these will provide a satisfactory solution to the problem.

Some basic scenic work has also been carried out with a start made on the forming of the embankments at the South end of the station and here a pic showing that progress -

IMG_20210726_134314.jpg.4c55978e8083b6c397ab7a0bac05ea1e.jpg

Basic formers made up from polystyrene foam which will get overlaid with Modroc and plaster etc. to end with a decent surface for grass and bushes!

The work on the platforms also carries on with much detailed work on paving and surfaces being carried out, it is surprising how many different textures and finishes there are on these platforms!

Hope this brings you all up to date, but our progress is still somewhat hampered by Covid restrictions but hopefully as double jabs take effect in all our members and restrictions are eased we can get back to full complements of members at the club.

Edited by ScRSG
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2021 at 14:56, ScRSG said:

The point rodding has undergone a bit of a setback regarding the use of the Modelu rodding stools. As it was necessary to use the track colour to weather the track before the rods themselves could be put in place, this resulted in the 0.4mm square wire to no longer fit in the stools because of the coating of paint. Remedies were considered such as running an Xacto saw blade through each rodding stool to allow the wire to sit, but this was going to be a ludicrously tiresome exercise considering the number of stools in place. After some discussion regarding these stools, including their durability on an exhibition layout, and the methods of fixing the rods in the stools it was decided that, regrettably, these stools were not the answer for us. One of our members, vitalspark of this parish, did some research using the DCC Concepts rodding stools and we believe that these will provide a satisfactory solution to the problem

Sorry to hear the Modelu stools didn't work out.  I'll have to review the design to take into account painting as I'm sure many customers must hit this same issue.  If you haven't already made the the swtich to DCC Concepts, Drop me an email alan.buttler@modelu3d.co.uk and I'll see what I can do to replace or part refund your order. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Having just had an email conversation with Alan Butler of Modelu, he has offered to refund the cost of the point rodding stools, which I consider to be an extremely generous offer and quite the best kind of customer service! He is also looking at a re-design of the stools to make them more usable in our kind of situation and in particular to try and find a method of representing the rollers on the stools which serve as a means of holding the rods in place. I hope he has success in this and it helps others in the use of these.

Chas

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Something to show how things are progressing in the background - one of the group is our signal expert and he has been working away on building the signals for Larbert. Here is an example of the work he is doing on the signal for the down line platform end signal.

IMG_6371a.jpg.60f5e81c3d6e9cfc4094b4fa623fcf2a.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...

OK, another update as to what is going on with Larbert. Basic scenic work is commencing where possible with as much of the embankments being "built" as is possible without disturbing other work with the  polystyrene foam bases and modroc used. 

Station buildings are underway but are being constructed offsite as are the signals, the last major one of which is now well advanced. Work on the platform surfaces continues ( a long and painstaking job).

As an aside Moodelu have now sent us a refund for the point rodding stools which proved a problem. Let me say this was a most generous offer and thanks again to Alan at Modelu.

Chas

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...