The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Managed to find a bit of time to drag a couple of boards out to do a few jobs, it's not too cold in there and the heater on occasionally and it's fin to work in there.

First job I started was to stain all the bare wood, some of the ply on the ends had a bit of mould on it soon after they were built, this was treated with a bleach wash but it didn't look good, it also stops the wood fading and looking dull.

post-7104-0-81490400-1545650259_thumb.jpg

Next I made a new 'Control Panal', ok, there isn't much of it... I simply transfered the holes to the sheet of plastic and glued it down, now I need to get the nut back on the rotary switch, it came off but will it hell as go back on...

post-7104-0-92055500-1545650265_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Neat! But would there not usually be a staff riding / tool van sandwiched between the engines? Or is that provided for in the cabin in the snowplough itself? (Are these the type that nearly killed Wilson Worsdell?)

I hope the NER's design of riding van is sufficiently symmetrical that you can get away with building half of one!

• RMweb Gold

Neat! But would there not usually be a staff riding / tool van sandwiched between the engines? Or is that provided for in the cabin in the snowplough itself? (Are these the type that nearly killed Wilson Worsdell?)

I hope the NER's design of riding van is sufficiently symmetrical that you can get away with building half of one!

They rode in the ploughs, not quite up to Pullman standards but plenty of seats and a stove to keep it warm. The ploughs on the Rosedale branch were a smaller version (4 wheel rather than 6) than the standard, it was an early one that Mr Worsdell was travelling in when it collided with a stuck loco which it lifted off the track.

• RMweb Gold

Looks superb Paul.

Can't imagine there was much visibility from the footplate, especially if they had cut a trench through the snow it wouldn't have been wise to lean out the side.

I tested some ploughs last week and from the cab of a 37 there was about the size of a mobile phone that you could we over the plough but the NE ones semi worse

• Like 1

They rode in the ploughs, not quite up to Pullman standards but plenty of seats and a stove to keep it warm. The ploughs on the Rosedale branch were a smaller version (4 wheel rather than 6) than the standard, it was an early one that Mr Worsdell was travelling in when it collided with a stuck loco which it lifted off the track.

After that 1888 accident, I believe that no-one was allowed to travel in the ploughs while actually ploughing. One person with Mr Worsdell had been trapped under the stove and died some days later. 'Railway Snowploughs in the North East', David and Claire Williamson, published by NERA.

• RMweb Gold

After that 1888 accident, I believe that no-one was allowed to travel in the ploughs while actually ploughing. One person with Mr Worsdell had been trapped under the stove and died some days later. 'Railway Snowploughs in the North East', David and Claire Williamson, published by NERA.

That must have been that staff were not allowed to travel in ploughs that were ploughing deep drifts as the BR independent ploughs had benches and stoves until the late 90s.

I had a job with independents in the so called breast from the east this year and the p- way staff rode in the middle cabs of the 37s

• 2 weeks later...