The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

It's now possible to ride the whole railway from Chimney Bank to The Depots. the bits past Blakey Junction round the head of the valley where cuttings were flooded or there are landslips have now been cleared or diversions added. 

It was always possible (it was my favourite MTB ride in my late teens), just a bit challenging! I was passing (on the Blakey road) the other day and there was actually a vehicle parked near what used to be the worst part of the route.  

Edited by Daddyman

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Daddyman said:

It was always possible (it was my favourite MTB ride in my late teens), just a bit challenging! I was passing (on the Blakey road) the other day and there was actually a vehicle parked near what used to be the worst part of the route.  

I did it once before but had to carry the bike round the top of two of the cuttings. Last time I tried was just before they started improving the path.  I got blown off the track just past the path down from the Lion, went head first into the cinder ballast and ended up going to York hospital to have nine stitches in my face.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

A picture putting Paul's layout into the context of the landscape taken from Blakey Junction on one of our bike rides last week. The Goods Shed is about two miles as the crow flies from where I was standing.

74830994_20200928_113801(2).jpg.a7217e70f48f2a2c4d42e6ec16a06ee1.jpg

I have video taken all along the East Mines line, so will try to edit into a 'Cab Ride' during the coming week.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

On that picture, to give us clueless some concept, where is the railway line, does it just appear at the LHS and run to the goods shed via the kilns?

Mike.

The 'main line' ran along the bottom of the kilns around to the goods shed on quite a tight curve, there was also a high level line at the top of the kilns to feed them. 

https://maps.nls.uk/view/125627278

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

On that picture, to give us clueless some concept, where is the railway line, does it just appear at the LHS and run to the goods shed via the kilns?

Yep,  and ended some here, some thirty five miles to the North West  (in civilised country). Just by the blast furnaces.

Surprised if this map hasn't been posted before as it shows both the end of the railway and Bell End.

BellEnd.jpg.a8c5c944774e2c49d008c83beae290b9.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

it shows [...] Bell End.

And The Bottom (snigger). 

My dad always calls what on the map is labelled "Holling Lane" (from Lower Bell End to The Bottom) "The Knott" (The Knot?). It was my brother's favourite climb on his bike in his teens, and we've called it that for 40-odd years. But there's no mention on this map or the modern one of that name. Has anyone ever heard it called that before?  And "Pig Lug" - anyone know where that is? (You can actually see it in The Signal Engineer's photo.)