The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

And The Bottom (snigger). 

My dad always calls what on the map is labelled "Holling Lane" (from Lower Bell End to The Bottom) "The Knott" (The Knot?). It was my brother's favourite climb on his bike in his teens, and we've called it that for 40-odd years. But there's no mention on this map or the modern one of that name. Has anyone ever heard it called that before?  And "Pig Lug" - anyone know where that is? (You can actually see it in The Signal Engineer's photo.)    

The road up on to the moors is 'Knott Road'

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.3723149,-0.8957368,16.54z?hl=en-GB

• Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

A picture putting Paul's layout into the context of the landscape taken from Blakey Junction on one of our bike rides last week. The Goods Shed is about two miles as the crow flies from where I was standing.

74830994_20200928_113801(2).jpg.a7217e70f48f2a2c4d42e6ec16a06ee1.jpg

I have video taken all along the East Mines line, so will try to edit into a 'Cab Ride' during the coming week.

Well I’ll be damned.

One of my regular drives at the moment is out of Whitby north on the A171 and after a few miles turn left back over the moors towards Castleton and on to Kirbkmoorside.

I’ve looked at this industrial arrangement time and time again which appears on your left with much fascination not realising what it was!!

I need hitting with a large wet fish...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

Well I’ll be damned.

One of my regular drives at the moment is out of Whitby north on the A171 and after a few miles turn left back over the moors towards Castleton and on to Kirbkmoorside.

I’ve looked at this industrial arrangement time and time again which appears on your left with much fascination not realising what it was!!

I need hitting with a large wet fish...

A171 is west. For North you'd need a boat.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Found this shot similar to one Eric posted, taken in 1959. Compared to today those houses are almost habitable... Also shows the strange L shaped layout of the houses.

NS208495.jpg

From- https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=96923&page=4235

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

Trick! Ha, Ha, Ha.

HA, HA, HA.

HA, HA, HA...

20201031_105209_copy_1600x1086.jpg.787d17f898ccd67e236853844a10e42c.jpg

Ah! The long lost Great Westerdale and Rosedale Railway. Followed the upper reaches of the Esk to an incline up Westerdale Moor then emerged into Rosedale through a tunnel under the Lion at Blakey.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 31/10/2020 at 15:50, Worsdell forever said:

Ok, you can have a treat...

20201031_105138_copy_1600x1049.jpg.287d4aa70f5334a5afd423a6958df400.jpg

Have always loved these little lads since the July 1972 RM drawings of same!  Should really have a go at the Nu Cast version.  Maybe to go with the Bachman J72...….

One day.....

Absolutely wonderful model by the way...………….

Martyn

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Think i posted this last year when it was first on but 'A Wild Year - The North York Moors' was on the tellybox again the other night, quite a bit was filmed around Rosedale with quite a bit of the track bed featuring. It's on the BBC iPlayer for 3 months. 

It also features my old primary school at Egton Bridge! 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...