The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

I've been waiting for the right time to ask, when do you fancy bringing it to Shipley?

Goods shed is looking great & the 1001 is really something.

Chris

Yes, it will be there sometime, as I said, John has been pestering me for years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Made a start on the depot cottage tonight, I made a drawing last week based on a 1960s photo, the building that is there now is a larger rebuild facing the other way. I'm using my usual mounting board with plasticard skin method, this time using that horrible rounded Slaters stone, I've had the sheets kicking about for years! but here the stone will be partially covered as the building was rendered or more likely limewashed over the years. I'm experimenting with a suitable finish, in the photo bottom right is sanded down stone with tissue MEK'd on, top right not sanded and left Squadron putty/filler rubbed over the surface. All have had one coat of white acrylic. I think I'll be going with the filler option.

post-7104-0-53595900-1452034371_thumb.jpg

The main components.

post-7104-0-17564000-1452034355_thumb.jpg

The photo in Simon Chapman's Cleveland Ironstone Mines in Pictures Vol 4.

post-7104-0-75829100-1452034358_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

It's been nearly a week since I did anything on this, but there has been a few days away in that time, last night I got the cills and lintels on and further experimentation with the wall coating, it seems to be going well, I think nearer the top needs a bit more filler, it's had 1 coat of white acrylic. 

post-7104-0-45269700-1452633547_thumb.jpg

Before I can complete the walls I decided to fit the roof, this will be followed by the chimneys. The porch is not yet attached and will probably be fitted after the walls are completed.

post-7104-0-93656400-1452633541_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

I am glad I came to the club tonight, Paul. Otherwise I would not have known about this project. Very interesting and out of the way, in fact just up my street. Would you like any more locos to operate it?

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Any further progress on this fascinating layout idea?

Rich

Slowly building wagons and 1093 is all but finished, the track designers are working away converting plans, maps and Google earth views into a templot plan, hopefully this summer wood will be cut!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Right, some progress to show, I've done a bit of work on 'Depot cottage' tonight, fitted some of the windows and built up and clad the chimneys, the windows that are fitted are moulded plastic ones, Dornaplas I think, the rest will need to be made from plastic strip.

post-7104-0-78113800-1466114124_thumb.jpg

Last night I received a full size printout from Robert of the layout plan with track centres but no detailed track yet. This I will use to work out ground profiles for building baseboards. Hopefully sawdust will be created soon!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

That's going to look fantastic, very different from the bog standard blt.

A word of caution with using height figures from Google Earth... only a few points are actual readings, many of the rest are interpolated. This means that the software has guessed based on what the surrounding points are doing. It's very good at doing this but can get it wrong if the ground does something unexpected. Use the data as a first stab but challenge the results once your done against common sense and photos / aerial photos.

Contour plans should also be available for this area. If I can work out where it is I'll dig some out for you.

• RMweb Gold

Some interesting shots there Chris, it has managed to find my locos though!

Actual location is here - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.3717012,-0.913249,305m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I had realised there were some mistakes in their measurements, there are a few places where the land seemed to level off where it should be rising, especially around the road at the right hand end which is in a cutting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tonight I've made a start on marking contours on the plan from Google earth, the lowest point near the cottage is 799ft and the trackbed is 816ft by the goods shed and 820ft at the fiddleyard entrance.

I also laid some track on and placed the buildings and some stock to get a feel of the layout, it's a lot bigger and open than perhaps I expected but that's no doubt because of the compression that we put in to 'made up' layouts. The large plank is there to represent the row of cottages.

attachicon.gifIMGP9435-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP9439-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP9436-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP9437-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP9440-001.JPG

The elevation data from the electronic 1:25000 OS maps also varies a bit from Google Earth. The height at the bottom end of the cottage garden looks like 799ft on the OS map. I would say that the yard around the cottage varies in the region of 805ft  to 810ft but the ground around the line seems even higher, around 830ft, which is about 10ft above what I get working from Google Earth.

One thing to remember is that the slope of the hillside from the  railway track to Daleside Road by what is shown as "Brick House" on old maps is about 1 in 4. The track from the Depot Cottage to the yard goes up at least 1 in 10 if not steeper.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

One thing to remember is that the slope of the hillside from the railway track to Daleside Road by what is shown as "Brick House" on old maps is about 1 in 4. The track from the Depot Cottage to the yard goes up at least 1 in 10 if not steeper.

It is quite steep round the curve, after the gentle slope up from the village! The top if the coal cells is well above head height when you stand next to them on the road so making Google's figures look worse. Let's hope Spams can find anything, he seems to know what he's doing...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Found some very interesting disagreements between height/contour info when I did the cross sections for Damian's L&B layout. Doesn't normally matter too much but it was quite confusing on steeply graded ground.

• RMweb Gold

Back to Depot Cottage tonight, windows finished, walls roughly coated with filler and a couple of coats of white paint. The weigh office has been built up and the roof covered with corrugated aluminium, it looks a bit tall but it will be buried by nearly 10mm.

post-7104-0-54436400-1466460144_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-15690200-1466460152_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-59710100-1466460161_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

I've only just found this thread and it looks most promising.

I have a particular love of the high bits of S&D/NER line above Weardale: Stanhope (Parkhead) and across to Rookhope.

It reads as if you are intent on portraying the exposed nature of these railwaymen's everyday lives. Besides the wind machine(!) and the up at eye-level display of the depot - have you considered a wintry setting with vestiges of snow still just lurking around the north sides of walls, coal heaps etc. and a brazier under the water tank?

Brrrrr

dh