The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

Another option for the slates is to glue paper strips onto plasticard with DL limonene.  Butanone leaves a gooey mess as Derek says, but DL limonene is much more gentle and takes a while to go off.  I used it on the cottages for S Pelaw and liberally soaked the paper, and it worked well.

Cottages looking good by the way, I wish I could work at your speed!

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Why is/was there such a large gap between the rail head and the bottom edge of the plough blade ? Is it because the depth of snow left can easily be cut through by the train wheels ?

It is sitting a bit high, I think the chassis still needs a bit more work, they did sit well above the rails though, unlike road ploughs.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looks very good Paul. A test of patience and skill to get the plough the right shape. Some of the best modelling you have done.

Now how about modelling the Hellifield twins, real man sized snow ploughs.

Derek

Mmm, there is a chapter on them in the NER snowploughs book...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The back end has been revised slightly, the drawing I'm using isn't very detailed, it's just the diagram, so a lot of detail is being taken from photos, the problem I have is the only one of the back is in the distance, partly behind a loco and at a funny angle as it's derailed. 

http://www.abandonedcommunities.co.uk/Snow%201.JPG

Careful study of this photo has revealed end stanchions that are not on the drawing and that there is a window by the left corner rather than the middle as on the larger ploughs, I'm assuming there's one on the other side too. The roof has been made up and the stove chimney made from brass tube with a washer soldered on.

post-7104-0-10734700-1480719857_thumb.jpg

The top of the prow has been roughly filled with pieces of plasticard followed by Squadron filler, it will need a bit more when dry and filed back.

post-7104-0-40816600-1480719866_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Why is/was there such a large gap between the rail head and the bottom edge of the plough blade ? Is it because the depth of snow left can easily be cut through by the train wheels ?

Reading tonight I've found that they rode at 7 1/2 " above the rails, the model was too high and I've solved the problem by fitting lowmac wheels.

• Like 5

The back end has been revised slightly, the drawing I'm using isn't very detailed, it's just the diagram, so a lot of detail is being taken from photos, the problem I have is the only one of the back is in the distance, partly behind a loco and at a funny angle as it's derailed. 

http://www.abandonedcommunities.co.uk/Snow%201.JPG

Careful study of this photo has revealed end stanchions that are not on the drawing and that there is a window by the left corner rather than the middle as on the larger ploughs, I'm assuming there's one on the other side too. The roof has been made up and the stove chimney made from brass tube with a washer soldered on.

attachicon.gifIMGP9690-001.JPG

The top of the prow has been roughly filled with pieces of plasticard followed by Squadron filler, it will need a bit more when dry and filed back.

attachicon.gifIMGP9691-001.JPG

I built one in the 70s using the bows from a Airfix battleship 

Looking rather tasty. I too have  a variety of NER ploughs to do eventually. It'll be intriguing to see how these come up under paint - at the moment the step holes up to the door look small when compared to their larger six-wheel brethren but it'll be interesting ot see how the balance shifts when they're painted and weathered. Intriguing to see how simple a process you've made this.

Edited by Steve Taylor

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to see a stove pipe - was this for the crew only, or was the front of the plough heated ?

When you think of the conditions they were working in, a warm place to travel in and some hot stew was essential. While the crew were digging/loosening the snow there would be someone in there cooking.

The drawing in this link is of one of the full size later ploughs.

There's some photos here on the LNER forum.

• Like 1