The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Like a cat just back from the cattery, I'm going around putting my mark on all my favourite places - so they show up in "Content I Posted In". 

Sheep are intelligent enough to know a fine is no penalty to the penniless, so since they haven't a shilling let alone forty, they'll ignore Mr Wilkinson's cast sign if it suits them. The lettering looks raised - is it etched or another clever piece of trompe l'oeil?

Mmm, come to think of it, I've never known a sheep to carry any money... 

If anything the black is raised, it's simply printed on thick paper. I tried using a photo but it never really worked so typed it out in Page Plus. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I read one of Mr Essery's books on the LMS over the weekend. In 1929 the LMS carried more sheep than cattle. I must now try to research the numbers for the NER/LNER. Might a cattle wagon or two have had to be hauled up the incline?

Or perhaps the sight of one would prompt all your sheep to run and hide. After all what sensible sheep wants to go to market?

• RMweb Gold

No, vans, other than the brake vans were allowed on the branch, they wouldn't fit under the brake drum. It was a big job to get locos and the brake vans up and down around the outside of it so they stayed up there as long as possible between works visits, they could sort most problems at the shed. 

6093794.jpg?type=article-full

Sometimes it went wrong...

ing2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
On 28/01/2019 at 22:57, Worsdell forever said:

And the distance post, the very end of the line.

post-7104-0-60951900-1548715290_thumb.jpg

I wondered what those were, I saw one on a station platform on the Cinder Track. Was one on a station the position of its official mileage in NER documents?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I wondered what those were, I saw one on a station platform on the Cinder Track. Was one on a station the position of its official mileage in NER documents?

There were Zero posts where the measurements started, Mile, quarter, half and three quarter posts and Distance Point posts at the centre of stations and at the termination of a line, that might be at the end of the rails like here or at a junction.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

If that is what the poor old fireman  has to use to stoke the engines, he will get his fingers singed.

Derek

Won't shovel anything with that, it being a 'Hay Spade', basically a massive knife.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm not sure I understand what's happening with the hay rick - is it being dismantled? Green grass on the inside, dried on the outside.

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Hay inside a stack can retain a distinct green shade.  Some of mine from last summer is still very green while the outer bales are a very faded yellow.

Exactly as Jonathan says, it could be quite green inside, the greener it is the more nutrients it's retained, as long as it's dry when stacked/baled.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 17/02/2019 at 08:57, Worsdell forever said:

Exactly as Jonathan says, it could be quite green inside, the greener it is the more nutrients it's retained, as long as it's dry when stacked/baled.

Every day's a school day !

Not wishing to labour the point, but this caught my eye this morning - a stack of bales I put out yesterday for a customer to collect.  i know exactly when these were brought in and stacked - June 30th last year - the only time I can ever remember finishing hay before the end of June.

IMG_2181.JPG.dbd2502a29b9ea07324a74fe56add678.JPG

The bale bottom right has been on the outside of the stack, the others have come from inside.  Even these have faded as they've dried inside the stack - there are more air gaps round bales than there would be within a single stack like Paul's model

• Like 2

they mentioned outside hay storage on a TV programm i saw other day.. and if done right it will stay green inside, wrong usually equals brown, black decay.. :) they even covered part of it in tactched as per your model, :) the only thing different was it was not on the ground, but on mushroom shaped stones, with wodden frame.. :)

meenwhile LOVE it :) 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

they mentioned outside hay storage on a TV programm i saw other day.. and if done right it will stay green inside, wrong usually equals brown, black decay.. :) they even covered part of it in tactched as per your model, :) the only thing different was it was not on the ground, but on mushroom shaped stones, with wodden frame.. :)

meenwhile LOVE it :) 

This sort of thing - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staddle_stones

Got to get a few jobs done in the next couple of months, we're going to York! https://yorkshow.org.uk/layouts/

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...