The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

Appparently it is made out of scrapped diesel hydraulics...

Can't be Mike, it wouldn't be shiny, it would be covered in oil!

Could be worse though, if it was made out of scrapped D*lt*cs it would have a blue tinge to it.

Mike.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Decided to fit a buffer stop to the end of the long siding, no doubt a photo will come to light now showing exactly what was there

Now I need to know whether the distance post should be at the end of the rail or in line with the buffer stop beam?

20200419_203349_copy_1600x1039.jpg.3d2e798535415d0063b33c034c4d28af.jpg

Well, maybe the buffer stop was installed at some time after the distance post - maybe in response to safety concerns, although there's no actual sign of a runaway - but nobody could be bothered to move the distance post?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The 12 ton hoppers are a rather better "fit" to the drops than the 20 tonners but even so they're a bit on the long side. I suppose that most coal drops were built way back when shorter 8 ton or 10 ton wagons were the order of the day. It must have been a bit of a nuisance when the hopper doors were directly above a pillar.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

The 12 ton hoppers are a rather better "fit" to the drops than the 20 tonners but even so they're a bit on the long side. I suppose that most coal drops were built way back when shorter 8 ton or 10 ton wagons were the order of the day. It must have been a bit of a nuisance when the hopper doors were directly above a pillar.

If the wagons didn't match the drops they just pinch-bar'd them on a bit.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1