The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

Have you got a copy of the NERA  Ken Hoole Snowplough book ? There is one photo therein of No 7 and 8.

I have the 2014 NERA snowplough book and the photo is in there together with the diagram. I have seen the original Hoole book but the latest one covers it all.

• Like 1

Paul

That build of the plough is just fantastic, I remember a few years ago I had a couple of of NE Snowplough books that I acquired from someones estate, I thought at the time what a great subject they would make for a scratchbuild but obviously not for me so it is great to see one made now. Had I known you then I would have offered them to you rather than sell them on.

I think you have captured the look really well.

Jim

Congratulations on the Snow Plough. Very impressive and very rapid modelling!

I have a project in mind to build one of the steel ones (Or should that be two models of the steel ones?)

Thank you also for the link to the Bleath Gill film. I've never seen all of that before.

Two aspects stood out for me. One being the lack of protective clothing for the men. Some were not even wearing gloves.

The second was that the only locomotives 'in-shot' were BR standards. There was just one view of what looked like an ex-NER tender buffering up.

Would this have been 'officially inspired' do you think?

I must check the shed records for 1954/55.

• RMweb Gold

I have a project in mind to build one of the steel ones (Or should that be two models of the steel ones?)

Thank you also for the link to the Bleath Gill film. I've never seen all of that before.

Two aspects stood out for me. One being the lack of protective clothing for the men. Some were not even wearing gloves.

The second was that the only locomotives 'in-shot' were BR standards. There was just one view of what looked like an ex-NER tender buffering up.

Thanks, I believe it was a J21 that went up with the ploughs, there's two different whistles but that could be in the editing. As for gloves, after you've shovelled so much snow you'll be glad to be rid of them, I've shovelled enough snow over the years.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Whaddya mean  'no protective clothing' - they had macs and caps and were no doubt wearing boots.  Obviously some (most) were wearing gloves for shovelling work but just how many outdoor workers used to wear gloves back in those days - and how many could actually afford a pair of gloves for other than 'best'?  It was very different working and everyday world back then and working people were arguably considerably tougher than they are nowadays.

Incidentally by about 1955 I think most (if not all) of the workings over Stainmore were in the hands of BR Standards

Thanks, I believe it was a J21 that went up with the ploughs, there's two different whistles but that could be in the editing. As for gloves, after you've shovelled so much snow you'll be glad to be rid of them, I've shovelled enough snow over the years.

Well, I can do one J21 on my railway, and very soon in the New Year I hope a second will join it. As for shovelling snow without gloves, it just makes my thumb and finger ends split all the faster. This gets very inconvenient for model-making.

Sorry to go off-topic on your thread. Back to making things for me tomorrow!

• RMweb Gold

Made good progress today on the baseboards, I got a bit done last weekend (not much, it was bloody cold) and through the week but today I have got the dowels fitted and had a trial on legs, these are Greyscroft's legs screwed to the frame and I think I will use these to save making a full set of new ones, I will have to make one for the fiddleyard as the rest of Greyscroft's legs are slightly different. The height to the trackbed works out at just over 52" which feels about right standing next to it.

Next to do is the fiddleyard board, I've got some draw runners for the traverser and there is enough baseboard depth to mount them vertically, I've found that when I fitted them horizontally on Felton Lane the traverser sags when pulled out, obviously when used correctly for a draw they should be vertical.

post-7104-0-73416200-1481477855_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-45078100-1481477865_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

I was thinking ramming a plough into a snow bank might not be good for any pot left on a stove inside...

You ought to see the inside of a Brake Van, when transporting a p/way gang and the driver slams the brakes on unexpectedly.  Men, shovels, tea cans all at one end!

Happy days on the NVR twenty years ago.

Paul 4475

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The shelf and traverser are now fitted, there's enough space and travel on it for eight tracks, I'll probably only fit six though.

post-7104-0-36360200-1482446797_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-37145700-1482446804_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-21022900-1482446809_thumb.jpg

Plenty of room here for the impotrant stuff... The point switches and controller panel will go here too.

post-7104-0-33695600-1482446813_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The shelf and traverser are now fitted, there's enough space and travel on it for eight tracks, I'll probably only fit six though.

attachicon.gifIMGP9711-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP9712-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP9713-001.JPG

Plenty of room here for the impotrant stuff... The point switches and controller panel will go here too.

attachicon.gifIMGP9714-001.JPG

Reminds me a lot of an old style computer desk with keyboard and monitor shelves....