SWAG 2016 ?

Penlan

• RMweb Gold

I am hopefully going to be there this year. I am trying to find a suitable second hand pair of trousers.

Rob.

All this talk of the annual pastie bash is makeing me think I should plug my B & B not very far from Staplegrove , but then like last year when I had some non railway guests I missed most of the morning show because of them, of course if I have people going to the show you will get out earlier,! so come on book up so I can go nice and early as well

Subtle plug

• RMweb Gold

All this talk of the annual pastie bash is makeing me think I should plug my B & B not very far from Staplegrove , but then like last year when I had some non railway guests I missed most of the morning show because of them, of course if I have people going to the show you will get out earlier,! so come on book up so I can go nice and early as well

Subtle plug

So which is your B&B then?

Ah, I know the location well. Drove past there today, in fact. I remember back when that was an actual pub!

I dont know what it says about The Stags Head Pub but nearly every one who I have met can't remember what it was like inside, bit of a drinking pub I think! There is one exception and that is the chap who lives in the old skittle alley, but that might be due to him being the old landlord

I dont know what it says about The Stags Head Pub but nearly every one who I have met can't remember what it was like inside, bit of a drinking pub I think! There is one exception and that is the chap who lives in the old skittle alley, but that might be due to him being the old landlord

Ah, yes the Stags Head.....

When I was working on the M5 construction - centered around Bridgewater, 1970 -72+, we went there for a skittles match or three - W.C.French v Resident Eng's Teams.... and there was always a most splendid spread afterwards, plus excellent beer during the match.

Fortunately, as always, (inter-) site transport was provided....  :good_mini:

Model Railway interest, well the Deputy County Surveyor - Can I remember his name, NO - had a most splendid EM layout and used Pitmann motors in all his loco's, which in spite of being GWR, ran very well.

I did some layout electrics for him too.  He had a metal plate on one of his legs, from a WW2 incident, he would bang the metal plate when he was upset.

I had to get some drawings from (Somerset) County Hall for the M5 works, and in the Drawing office, I was towards the rear consulting with one of the Engineers, when the above Deputy came in and said "Who the blaady Hell's done this drawing?", one of the new (female) drawing people piped up and said, "Sir, do you have to use such language?", to which he replied, "If you don't want to hear, or like what I'm saying, sit at the back of the ***** drawing office"...   Simples, and happy days.  And he was good at skittles too.

• RMweb Premium

Sadly I am not in a position to attend in 2016 much though I should have liked to.  This year's visit is a little later as dictated by Eldest Nephew's wedding on the Isle of Ancient Tube Trains after which I head to SWAGonia for ten days.  That will, however and finally after years of near-misses, include a visit to the Hayle MRC event over Whitsun weekend.  Or what ever we call it now.  So if anyone else is in the Ancient and Noble Realm of the Philps Pasty I'm happy to get together.

An aside.  Following last year's appearance of Boghouses I received a few suggestions that it should be proposed for a world record as farthest-travelled model railway.  I didn't pursue that any further until it was brought to my attention that another claim was about to be made for a Sydney-based layout which is being shipped in a container (pretty much the other end of the scale - sorry - to my effort) to Telford and back.  Boghouses has travelled farther by my reckoning and I have now lodged a formal application with the Guinness people for the world record.  The outcome is awaited.  They have to decide if it is a record they even wish to record, whether it is indeed a record and how to measure the distances between A and B for the various contenders.  I'll let you know.

Archived